Skip to main content

I took the recipe below from the Brisket archives - and WOW - this recipe made the best tasting brisket i have ever had! I did not have oak - so i used some apple and hickory.

I smoked two briskets using this recipe exactly (accept my briskets were about 8lbs instead of 10).

The recipe did not say if you were supposed to rinse after the marinade, but i did lightly rinse it before i did the rub.

I served 6 adults and 9 young children - and there was very little left - it was incredible - EVERYONE went for seconds and thirds.

I cut and pasted the recipe below from the brisket archive forum.

Thanks cookshack for posting such an awesome recipe and thanks to who ever came up with it.

2000-2001 Recipe Contest

10 lb. brisket, packer trim

Marinade
½ cup orange juice
½ cup coke
1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
1-½ tbsp. celery salt
1-½ tbsp. cinnamon
1-½ tbsp. sea salt
1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
1-½ tbsp. oregano

Place the brisket and marinade in a pan and cover with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.

Rub
1-½ tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
1-½ tbsp. celery salt
1 tbsp. chili powder
1-½ tbsp. sea salt
1-½ tbsp. garlic pepper
1-½ tbsp. oregano

While the brisket is coming to room temperature, apply rub. Smoke-cook at 225 degrees F for 12 hours with ½ hickory and ½ oak wood. Turn smoker temperature control to 150 degrees F.

Finishing Sauce Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 c. honey
1/8 c. orange juice
1/8 c. ketchup

Remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket. Pour finishing sauce over the brisket. Wrap securely.

Place in smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees F.
Remove brisket from smoker and open the foil to let steam escape. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Baste and serve with accumulated juices.

Remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket. Pour finishing sauce over the brisket. Wrap securely.
Place in smoker for 1 hour at 150 degrees F.
Remove brisket from smoker and open the foil to let steam escape. Let rest for 20 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Baste and serve with accumulated juices.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

They were packer cut and yes - i did seperate the point from the flat to slice and sliced accross the grain with my slicer.

The main reason that i rinsed the marinade off was because all the dried spices were sticking to the meat and i figured that since i was going to be rubbing more spices on - it might be over kill if i left the spices from the marinade on too.
Looks like a lot of people are jumping on this recipe. Read it a couple of years ago but forgot about it until I saw "onesharpbroadhead"'s post. Like whalebone, I've also got 1 in the marinade now. 7.5# flat-partially trimmed with about 1/4" cap.

Richard-Did you pull yours at the suggested 12 hours or did you take to a specic internal temp? If so, what temp and how long did it take?

I'm thinking about doing it overnight @ 200F (in the smoker around 11:00 PM). Adjust the smoker to 225F around 8:00-9:00 AM and take to an internal of 185F-190F. Foil, towel, and cooler until time to eat (target is 6:00 PM).

I do all my butts overnight this way with great success. Normally takes about 2 hrs/lb to get to the target internal. I've never done a brisket overnight so any thoughts on the timing for an overnight would be appreciated.
dls; Put mine in @ 7:30pm Eastern. No temp. probe in the meat. Just going to go with the directions as posted above, except when I don't. Hour and a half a pound gets it to about noon. Sauce it, foil it, in the towel and in the cooler to rest. I've held butts this way for over 5 hours and were still too hot to touch. Should have waited till about ten or eleven tonight to put it in but the jack and mushroom gravy sandman is on my heels. Regards.
dls;I did an all nighter thats how I usually do my briskets too.put mine in @10.30 pm.no pre heating the cs,& brisket was @ room temp of 72 degrees.I use a maverick-et-73.I followed the recipe as close as I could,cs was on 225.let her go until 8:30am the next morn.internal temp was 180,so I pulled out of the cs,I foiled & I poured the sauce over it & put back in the cs but I left the temp @ 225 instead of bumping it down to 150 as the recipe calls for.I did this on count of the internal temp already was up to 180 & I did'nt want to undercook.I cooked for another 2 hrs,until internal temp was 195,pulled the brisket out of the cs & let rest for about 30'mins.total cooking time was 12 hrs.but I went by internal temp as we all do,you know the saying,it's not done till it's done.I do over nighters quite a bit.I think you will be alright @ 200 & bump up to 225 in the morn.as you said.do you use a maverick or other brand of thermometer that you can set your meat temp & you can put it by your bed so that it will alarm you if it goes past your set temp?this is what I use & love it so far.hope this helps.

Richard
Whalebone-Richard B: A little update.

Missed my target start time of 11:00 PM since I fell asleep reading a book and did not wake up until 1:15 AM. Pulled the brisket from the recipe marinade, rinsed, dried, and applied the recipe rub. In the smoker at 1:30 AM with a small chunk each of black cherry and wild apple. Set to 200F and went to bed.

Was getting ready to increase the smoker temp to 225F at 9:30 AM when a client called and said he needed some documents revised for an early meeting the following day so off to the office I went (forgetting to increase the temp). Got back at 1:30 PM and the internal temp by my Taylor remote digital was 186F. Kicked it up to 225F and at 3:00 PM internal was 193F. Pulled, foiled (with finishing sauce, towelled, and coolered until 6:00 PM. Removed, sliced, drizzeled with a little of the finishing sauce. Bottom line - one of the best biskets that I've ever had - mine or otherwise. This recipes a keeper.

Only change I made was to the finishing sauce. Omitted the ketchup simply because I don't particularly care for it. Also, added 1/4 cup each of the marinade (strained), apple juice, and beef stock. Simmered and reduced by 1/2.

Both the recipe and the procedure (longer cook at a lower temp) are going to make up my "Go To" method for future briskets.
I have used this recipe twice , on flats from walmart in my 08. They were great both times. The wife said the "Bark' was too a little too spicy for her, so the next one I'll try the rinse between the marinade & rub, to see if she likes it better. That's what I love about this forum, it's just like a problem solving session, the ideas are always flowing.
thanks,
RT
quote:
Originally posted by Mad_Angler:
[qb]... I think one Smokin vote trumps several non-Smokin votes... [/qb]
Who said we live in a democracy???

Love having that confidence in my vote. In another thread they wanted me to run for president...not if I love my one vote wins power Wink

Let us know how it turns out.

Smokin'
Smokin' et.al.

Here is my plan. Should I change anything?
- Don't rinse off marinade
- Put rub on both sides
- Put in 008 with fat side up, middle rack
- Use 2 pieces apple wood, one piece of hickory
- Set temperature on CS to 225F
- Wait about 15 hrs for temp to get to ~190-195
- Take out, foil with finishing sauce
- Put in cooler for 1-5 hours depending on when done
- Take out at noon
- Separate flat from point
- Slice against grain
- Eat
WOW! The brisket was great.

I cooked it at 225 for 18 hr. The internal temperature was only up to 185F. I had to take it out because it was time to go to work.

It was a smashing success. There are no leftovers. The brisket had great flavor and was very tender. The tip of the flat was too done to slice but still good. The rest was just barely slicable...
quote:
Originally posted by tony76248:
[qb] I don't cooler the briskets. [/qb]
Only reason to is timing. If the brisket is done 4 or 5 hours early you have to keep it at 140 or above. You can't let it sit out for that long. That's just the easiest technique to "hold" anything for longer periods.
This recipe is in the Cookshack cookbook that comes with the smoker. I used this finishing sauce and my own rub when I made my first brisket. It went over real well. I sent a brisket and some ribs on an Air Force C-17 to a friend in Maryland all the way from Germany. His kids loved it and they left nothing but scraps. I plan on using this finishing sauce this Spring when I have a party for some Germans. I pass on the international review in April or May.
Mad, One thing I have noticed over the years is, there are times when certain areas of the brisket will be too tender and other parts will be down right perfect. I have only had my ST about two months and like I said before, each brisket will cook differently regardless of your cooking method. IMHO, with one of these smokers you will get great briskets and awesome briskets. I read on this forum once that these things were tailor made for brisket and I whole heartedly agree. You will never get a dry brisket as long as you use a temperature probe and dont fall asleep.
Regardless of the cooking method, I have always wrapped in foil at the seventh inning stretch. That will be up to you and what you decide after pouring over the many brisket posts here at the forum. I think you can get 100 different methods here on the forum and they probably all work well in one of these smokers.
Thanks Tony, understand.

One thing about coolering, and we learn this on the competition circuit. Depending on how long you leave it "sitting" in the cooler may have an additional benefit. It will cook a little more and the rest does seem to help it get a little tender.

I can put a brisket I pull out that's not 'quite' tender, and four hours later it's perfectly tender.

That can be why it's more tender than it went in.

Smokin'
Thanks for the info! Seeing all the positive reviews on this recipe I'm going to do one this weekend. I'm doing the recipe as stated with a few minor variations:
1) I left the meat in the cryo and sliced an opening at the top to rinse/wash with vinegar and water and then drained out.
2) doubled up the marinade (to provide more coverage)and poured it into the cyro and then resealed it with the foodsaver, it's sitting in fridge now, going for 24 hrs.

Smokin; at what temp would you pull it to after the Finishing Sauce Rub and put it in the cooler? assuming you do the 1hr @150 final step.

I'll let you know how it turns out Sat since I'm caught in between meatless Friday! I'm sure it should make a great Sat. lunch
I'd have to label this information Brisket 202.

For most people, just wrap and hold.

This technique is to help you if you find it's REALLY too tender. Don't cook it on time like the recipe says, cook it on temp.

Smokin's modification:

Cook it to 165, add the sauce then foil. Leave a temp probe in it. Pull it out when the temp hit 190 to 195.

The issue of pulling it this way is how long it's going to be sitting in the cooler. The longer in the cooler, pull it out at 185. Only an hour or say, pull it out at 195.
Well, mixed results. On the downside, the flat was a dry (ironically, wife prefers it this way), so sauced it up and was fine. And yield was just under 40% (5.75 lbs on 14.6) on the low side.

Positives: the point was wonderful, used the FoodSaver to put a good potion up for burnt ends next time around. Chopped the rest and sauced for sandwiches later this week. Taste, tenderness good. And, most amazingly, kids are digging the food that comes off the CS. That alone is worth it.

On Smokin's variation, I missed 165*. It cooked quicker than I anticipated, as was up to 182 (13.25 hours) before I was able to remove, sauce, foil, and return it to the CS for another 1.75 hours until it hit 195. Wrapped in a towel, into the cooler for a nice 4.75 hour rest. I was assuming the rest would help keep moist, but it must have been dried out before then. Not terrible, just not great.

Overall, first time around, satisfied, but aching to do the next one ...
Results on my run of the recipe: Fair. I think the meat cooked about right at the temps Smokin recommended although I think on my next one I might do the crutch (foil) at 165 or 5 hrs whichever comes first. Secondly I really liked the aroma of the rub and the marinade, but the family disliked the finish sauce and thought it was too sweet.

Overall I felt inspired to combine my usual recipe and parts of this one for a hybrid that should yield great results, with the following modifications:

Marinade (overnight 12 hrs)
3 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
3 tbsp. celery salt
2 tbsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. sea salt
3 tbsp. garlic pepper
3 tbsp. oregano
3 tbsp. chili powder (actually I plan to use my Southwest rub)
Yellow Mustard

Lightly apply mustard to the meat then firmly rub in 1/2 of the above rub mixture, refrigerate the brisket 6-12 hrs.

Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it start to come to room temperature, and firmly rub in 2/3 of the remaining rub mixture.

Place in cold smoker set to 225� and smoke to 165� or 5 hrs whichever comes first, then remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket; sprinkle the last 1/3 of the rub on the brisket and close up the foil and return it back to the 225� smoker and then go with Smokin's modification: "Leave a temp probe in it. Pull it out when the temp hit 190 to 195.

The issue of pulling it this way is how long it's going to be sitting in the cooler. The longer in the cooler, pull it out at 185. Only an hour or say, pull it out at 195".

If anyone tries this out let me know it might be another week before I do my next brisket. Take care!
I tried the recipe at the top of this topic for my first brisket (a trimmed one in cryo from SuperWalmart) and the results were great. I had concerns I'd get a dry finished product because I bought the wrong piece of meat, but it turned out fine. I wrapped it in foil when the temperature got to about 165. My gal is out picking up another piece of (untrimmed) meat so we can try it again. Guess I'm excited. We've only eaten about a pound off the first one. I'm thrilled to hear that they freeze well.
Help!

OK folks - I am a loyal reader and follower of these great recipes. I tried the above recipe and the flavor was superb (the marinade, rub, and the finishing sauce are fantastic).

I am running into trouble with how dry my brisket it is turning out. Here are the steps I took.

1. Marinated a 3.6# flat from Albertsons for 6 hours.
2. as it heated to room temp from the fridge I put on the rub.
3. Then set the smokette's temp to 250 and place the flat in the middle rack. Two separate temperature probes were inserted in the center of the flat and one temp was probe was monitoring the center of the smoker's temp. (Temp of the smokette air was 230 for the duration of this brisket attempt).
4. At the three and a half hour mark, the brisket's temp had plateaued at 156 degrees and stayed there for another three hours.
5. Once the brisket hit 165 degrees, I drenched the flat in the finishing juices, wrapped it in foil, reinserted the probes back into it, and then placed it back into the smokette. (Being sure to place the probes into the thickest part of the brisket with care not to touch anything else but brisket).
6. Let the smokette do its thing until the flat hit 190 degrees.
7. Pulled the flat out, and let it wrest in the foil for about 30-45 minutes.
8. The total cooking time to hit 190 degrees was 10 hours for 3.6 lb brisket. The end result was the flavor was excellent, but the flat itself, was dry, dry, dry. I've read here ow that 1.5 - 2 hours per pound is a common cooking marker. I was cooking to internal meat temp (per the wise instructions of Smokin Okie's instructions). I also know that "it's done when it's done". That's why I let the flat cook to 190 degrees without opening the smokette (almost 3-4 hours longer than it should have taken to get to 190).

OK BBQ Gurus, tell me what the heck I did wrong. I love the smokette and want to become great with it, but after all that effort and love I put into that days cooking, I am a bit disappointed with the results.

Semper BBQ,
Kdub
Ok, I am trying this recipe as we speak. Whoever mentioned reducing the marinade and adding it to the finishing sauce had a good idea. My husand and I both love the mix. The marinade had enough pepper in it to give the finishing sauce a little "kick". I marinated for about 5 hours. Wish it was more, but hey. 10lb brisket. Put it in at 9 pm and will check on it around 7am or so.Hoping it to be done around 10. Wish it and me luck because I've already invited my sister over for some breakfast brisket LOL
I tried my 1st brisket on my smokette using this recipe and it was very good.

11.5# packer cut; put on at 11 pm at 180*; at 8 am turned up to 225*. At 2 it hit 170* and I took it out and put the finishing sauce on it (I let this cool some so it would brush on better) double wrapped in foil and back in. Took it out at 4:30 pm when it hit 195* and wrapped it in a towel and into a cooler for 2 1/2 hours............there were no left overs!
I'm smoking my first brisket using this recipe also. The brisket is currently resting in the marinade.

I went to 2 markets with one not carrying briskets and the second not carrying anything larger than a four pounder. In addition, Super Walmart was out of stock, and Costco has stopped carrying it altogether (health prone Californians prefer tri tip since it's leaner than the brisket). Finally, at my 5th stop (a local butcher) I was able to pick up a 6.5 lb flat, partially trimmed. It was the largest they had.

Since it's small, I plan on getting up at 6:00 am, draining the marinade, putting on the rub, and placing it in my Elite. When it reaches 170*, I'll foil, put in the finishing sauce(since it was trimmed, I thought the sauce would help keep it moist) and place it back in the smoker. At 195* I'll wrap it in a towel, and place it in a cooler for 2-3 hours.

I've read so much about the brisket in the forum that I'm really looking to this experience. I've invited some close friends over for the "experiment". They've volunteered to be guinea pigs and can roll with the punch. Hopefully, I won't have to throw hot dogs on the grill. Cool
Just had the brisket dinner with the contest recipe. It was very good. A little dry. A little salty. The good merlot went well with it.

It was not like the brisket I've had in Texas. So, you're right on Tom. I'll try the packer with the basic 101 recipe next. Problem is finding a packer out here as I previously mentioned. I'll check Super Walmart when they're back in stock.
Tom and I are pretty traditional Brisket cooks; can't imagine Tom between you and me how many 1,000's we've cooked.

This recipe to me is "different". It'll work, it's pretty simple, but it's not a traditional brisket. Don't get me wrong, if someone says they want something different for their brisket, I'll point them here to try it, as so many people like it.

My favorite brisket is to season it like I would a steak, cook it to finish and eat it without foil never having touched it. But, I've cooked a few...
Yep,like Smokin' says,this "contest winner" can make an edible meal.

Do we know how many contestants,what the criteria was,the quality/knowledge of the judge.

Did the other cooks turn in something bad,or maybe they turned in a good brisket,and the judge was seeking a polynesian pot roast.

yes,it could be juicy and fruity and fall apart, to be served over sticky rice.

Every time I see people rave about this "winner",I wonder if they have had a good brisket,or wanted one..

The reason Donna's family developed these cookers was to turn out a fine beef brisket,and it does.

I'd hate to see the forum family never bother to learn to cook a good packer.

Well,just my $0.02
This is and incredible recipe. I was doing a brisket and a turkey in my double barrel stick smoker. The brisket went in first for 4 hrs @ 225*. The brisket reached 160* by the end of 4 hrs and the turkey needed to go in at 325*. I wrapped the brisket in a tin foil pan with the finishing sauce and cranked the smoker up to 324*. In another 3 hrs. it registered 190* and was removed to the cooler until the turkey joined it in another 1 1/2 hrs. The dinner started some 4 hrs later and both turkey and brisket were still hot. Best brisket, ever. Well done but not falling apart on cutting. Rave reviews form the diners on bot the turkey (a la smokin's 101) and the brisket by this recipe. Here are few pics of the brisket. the first after initial cooking ready to be wrapped and the other tow of the finished product. Thanks for the recipe.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN4582_800x600
quote:
Originally posted by Luisfc1972:
the briskets they sell there i have no idea if they are flats or packers? one side is all fat

Just ask the meat manager.

If he doesn't know, the look at the weight. 3 or 4 lbs will be a flat; 7 or more likely a small packer. If you can find 10 lbs or more get that.

Look for a piece of meat with a consistent thickness. Many will taper off into a very thing cut and that will just try out..
I am doing this recipe as I type. This is only my 2nd brisket in my 08. I have not been able to get off the ribs and the butts. I do have my doubts about this though. I am doing everthing to a "T" recipe wise. The marinade did not taste real good. IMO. So we will see how it turns out. I will update. Hope it turns out well.
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
True Texas brisket is smoked with mesquite. It gets bitter quick so be careful.

Actually, Arkansas... I'd say it's more Oak in Texas than Hickory, certain Pecan in a lot of the state and Hickory is there, but they do love Mesquite in West Texas, only thing that grows there
You can burn corrugated cardboard with it IMHO,or fresh pine needles might make a welcome change.

Use the trunk,if it has plenty of sap.

It won't have any effect.

I've heard that Dollar store ketchup,is better with it than branded[probably just a rumor]

When it finishes,I'd be sure the "drugstore cowboys" were wearing their hightop aerobic shoes,rather than "manly footwear" ,when I raved how it was the best brisket I ever tasted.

Out there in Plano,you aren't far from Bill and Barb Milroy -the Texas RibRangers,one of the great comp teams of all time.

Find their rubs and sauces,all over your area.

You sure won't want to mention a Cookshack person cooked that way. Eeker

Just a couple of thoughts.
Last edited by tom
Just a thought, about folks that try something twice.

There are places that might finely shred a pork shoulder,fat,skin,and all.

They might place it in a sauce pan,add an equal amount of sauce,and simmer for 2-3 hrs.

The forum tries not to guide folks in that direction,if they are seeking fine pulled pork.

If it works for their family ,and that is their goal-that's a good thing.

Smokin' and I like to cook, like a judge might think.

If we try to help someone experience a new product,we'd like them to experience it as history/folklore,other diners,food columnists,etc. have raved about the taste and texture.

That is sort of the goal of the forum.

Pork ,beef,and poultry,probably ought to taste like their name.

Judges think losing the piece of meat in deep sauce,might mean the cook was afraid for them to actually experience the meat.

Yes,there are some things many of us are served,and if we prefer not to taste them-we may drown them in ketchup. Eeker

Probably many of us have seen a slice of beef tenderloin,or bone- in dry aged prime rib,the cook cooks to the stage of shoe leather,because that is the way they like it.

They may repeat it that way all their life.

That might not be the way the chef,at a fine restaurant,would want diners to remember ,what fine beef would taste like.

If they brought their boss,that had a history of dining on the best briskets,all over the Southwest,they might like it to resemble what he usually seeks out.

Now my granny was a wonderful human being,and cooked many things well.

Several generations have raved about the fine comfort food she shared with the family.

....and then there was her meatloaf. Roll Eyes

The same generations still mention that, as the low point in their dining life,even though we all quietly consumed our portion.

And yes,she repeated it more than we care to mention.

Just a couple of thoughts.
great name for this post. this is an incredible brisket recipe. actually it is an unbelievable brisket recipe. it is unbelievable that someone did all this to a brisket when they actually had a working smoker in the backyard. what happened? couldn't find the crock-pot? alto-sham broke? i know it is not politically correct or fashionable to say anything that could possibly insult anyone but i was sure this was all a goof. this recipe must anger the beef gods.
quote:
Originally posted by Budge:
quote:
Smokin's modification:<br /><br />Cook it to 165, add the sauce then foil. Leave a temp probe in it. Pull it out when the temp hit 190 to 195.

Smokin,

I assume you meant to leave the temperature on the CookShack set to 225 during this step, right?

Hey it's not my recipe and I will say that I've never used/done this recipe.

As he didn't say different I'd assume the temp stays the same.

The original post just wasn't clear in that point.

As for deleting it from the top. Not gonna happen. This has over 90 responses so it's easily the most discussed topic about brisket, so it stays. The original winner was from 2000, almost 10 years ago and posted 5 years ago. It's here to stay.

While the traditional cooks here of us don't like or recommend this recipes, that fact that a number of users HAVE tried it and liked it, it is just a good example of "different"

It works for some, but as we've said many times, we can teach you to do better.

Smokin'
My first Brisket and only 6th cooking on the new and 1st smoker.
I have to admit that I was VERY skeptical using coke in a recipe!
So I used a whole flat and I didn't trim much of the fat side and cooked it fat up looking for that soak in effect. I cooked it at 225 for 7 hours and it hit 185 so I foiled it and put on the finishing sauce. Then left it in the CS for 4 hours, not by choice, and it was warm but no longer hot.
Tastey but dry?
I was impressed with the end result but know that there must be a way to get the flavor without adding a coke! It gave it a funky chemically taste that I get from old flat coke. Any ideas?

BTW, Thank you to all of you for the great stuff you've all taking so much time writing.
quote:
Originally posted by winetogo:
Any ideas?

Yes, and don't mean to be flip about it, but don't go with this recipe. Brisket is beef and the smoker you have will do a great job on it. If you read above, Tom and I both aren't fans of this recipe, but plenty of people seem to like it.

I think the coke is ok, but the Orange juice is wrong

Simple rub, etc

Follow Brisket 101.

If you want, start a new thread and we can help answer any questions.
OK, I've now done two briskets: one with this recipe and one with just a simple rub following the Brisket 101. Here's my take.

My family LOVED this recipe. I thought it was very good, too. However, I can fully except the criticism that this recipe could be accomplished just as easily in an oven or a crock pot. You can smell the smoke, but you probably won't be able to taste it.

As for the Coke, use real Coke and not Diet or the Zero stuff. My guess is that even if you did use real Coke, something else is causing your chemical taste. Several brisket recipes call for Coke. Just my $0.02.

My second brisket was done the traditional "CookShack" way. The meat was not as moist, but the smoke flavor was excellent. I foiled from 165 to 201, then FTC'ed it for 3 hours. Unfortunately I did not get any bark or a smoke ring (even though I used a charcoal brickette). I served it with CookShack Spicy BBQ sauce on the side. My family loved it, too. But they want to know when I'm going to make the other recipe again. Oh well.

So I have a compromise. Next time, I'm going to split my brisket at 165, but this recipe on one half and leave the other alone. Then I should have some of both. OR I could just make the brisket the traditional way and serve the sauce from this recipe on the side along with BBQ sauce. Best of both worlds!
Budge -- I don't think anyone here is trying to sway you one way or the other. If you like it, the family & friends like it, then that's the way to do it. Wink Whatever floats your boat. You're not cooking for anyone on this forum!

Everyone has to learn to live with constructive criticism. Destructive criticism doesn't belong on the forum. Wink

Have a good one!!! Big Grin
Like wheels says,we have two, sorta goals here.

The first ,being you can produce the product that suits you and your family.

It makes no difference,if your crowd has never tasted "product A",or ever will.

If you think tofu,makes the best bbq-good.

Easily the most important!

The other would be to allow folks to produce what might be considered "traditional BBQ"

On the comp circuit,we are judged on a point system,that allows us to rise up the levels of invitationals,etc so we kinda are competing on a level playing field.

Town,county,region,state,etc and we are hoping to rise up that ladder.

A judge in Fl-Kansas-Tn-NC-Ok-Al-Tx all knew what was comparable quality product.

The judges go to school,and they can be monitored and graded.

We suggest new comp cooks go to judging school.

That way,the new cook may be producing the best "watermelon" in his neighborhood,but the OBJECT is to produce the finest" cantelope-or English cucumbers". Eeker Red Face

Thus, when the forum is trying to allow folks to produce what is generally accepted as the best product,over the bbq cooking community.

We might point in that direction.

I'm sure that there are folks that can produce a fine "chicken fried tofu",but there is a frying joint, near Smokin's home ,that produces the "greatest fried chicken".

Fans of "great fried chicken" probably want our tips on how to replicate this, for their friends.

Of course,there are other forums that abound,that assist in producing alternatives to traditional bbq.

I guess we will try to steer folks to what bbq can taste like and Cookshack produces,and gracefully allow the popularity of crockpots,steamers,and stovetop instant smokers, in the microwave, to keep supplying the quick dishes that make the church socials.

Just my $0.02
I can see a tear in the corner of Tom's eye. This method turns out pretty well, but try the traditional method next time as a comparison.

Once you know traditional, you can go from there or not, your choice. I started with this recipe and have now done traditional a few times and really like it better.

With either method, Cookshack turns out nice product. The cut of meat might determine which method to use. The method you tried might help a "select" brisket turn out better. The traditional turns out a great "choice" cut.
Last edited by pags
Like Pags says,it is what you are trying to accomplish.

We have a couple of goals with the forum.

If the goal is for you to cook "something" and it pleases you and your family,that is a good thing.

On the other hand,if the goal is to cook a particular product, that experienced diners/cooks recognize as a quality example of that type cooking-we attempt to get the cook there,also.

Many folks,hope both goals can be met.

The first thing that new comp cooks are told is"go to judging school,so you know what the product tastes like and how it should be prepared".

I might be getting ready to enter the local grilling contest ,down at the VFW in central California for their local traditional BBQ.

It is the city of Santa Maria.

I fix grilled corn on the cob for the neighborhood,every Saturday and they all rave about it.

That Saturday ,I proudly take my usual entry down to the VFW hall and set it on the display table.

Man,that is one great looking platter of fresh grilled sweet corn!

I look at the other entries and darned if they don't all enter Santa Maria BBQ?

The cut of meat called for in an authentic Santa Maria Barbecue is a 3-inch thick cut of boneless top sirloin weighing 3 to 4 pounds. If that is a bit more meat than you need, there is another cut of sirloin that works well, the tri-tip. The tri-tip has become the most popular cut for family barbecues in the region. It weighs only about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds, a far better size for a small family. See also: History of the tri-tip.

The traditional combination of side dishes consists of pinquito beans, macaroni and cheese, tossed green salad, toasted sweet French bread, salsa, coffee, and a simple dessert. The pinquito bean, a small pink bean that retains its firm texture even after long slow cooking, is unique to the Santa Maria Valley, as is the red oak.

Hmmm. Red Face

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.