Skip to main content

This recipe is in the Cookshack cookbook that comes with the smoker. I used this finishing sauce and my own rub when I made my first brisket. It went over real well. I sent a brisket and some ribs on an Air Force C-17 to a friend in Maryland all the way from Germany. His kids loved it and they left nothing but scraps. I plan on using this finishing sauce this Spring when I have a party for some Germans. I pass on the international review in April or May.
Mad, One thing I have noticed over the years is, there are times when certain areas of the brisket will be too tender and other parts will be down right perfect. I have only had my ST about two months and like I said before, each brisket will cook differently regardless of your cooking method. IMHO, with one of these smokers you will get great briskets and awesome briskets. I read on this forum once that these things were tailor made for brisket and I whole heartedly agree. You will never get a dry brisket as long as you use a temperature probe and dont fall asleep.
Regardless of the cooking method, I have always wrapped in foil at the seventh inning stretch. That will be up to you and what you decide after pouring over the many brisket posts here at the forum. I think you can get 100 different methods here on the forum and they probably all work well in one of these smokers.
Thanks Tony, understand.

One thing about coolering, and we learn this on the competition circuit. Depending on how long you leave it "sitting" in the cooler may have an additional benefit. It will cook a little more and the rest does seem to help it get a little tender.

I can put a brisket I pull out that's not 'quite' tender, and four hours later it's perfectly tender.

That can be why it's more tender than it went in.

Smokin'
Thanks for the info! Seeing all the positive reviews on this recipe I'm going to do one this weekend. I'm doing the recipe as stated with a few minor variations:
1) I left the meat in the cryo and sliced an opening at the top to rinse/wash with vinegar and water and then drained out.
2) doubled up the marinade (to provide more coverage)and poured it into the cyro and then resealed it with the foodsaver, it's sitting in fridge now, going for 24 hrs.

Smokin; at what temp would you pull it to after the Finishing Sauce Rub and put it in the cooler? assuming you do the 1hr @150 final step.

I'll let you know how it turns out Sat since I'm caught in between meatless Friday! I'm sure it should make a great Sat. lunch
I'd have to label this information Brisket 202.

For most people, just wrap and hold.

This technique is to help you if you find it's REALLY too tender. Don't cook it on time like the recipe says, cook it on temp.

Smokin's modification:

Cook it to 165, add the sauce then foil. Leave a temp probe in it. Pull it out when the temp hit 190 to 195.

The issue of pulling it this way is how long it's going to be sitting in the cooler. The longer in the cooler, pull it out at 185. Only an hour or say, pull it out at 195.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
[qb]
Smokin's modification:

Cook it to 165, add the sauce then foil. Leave a temp probe in it. Pull it out when the temp hit 190 to 195.

[/qb]
Smokin, thanks, will try this variation. I'm following this one this weekend as well, smoking overnight Friday.
Well, mixed results. On the downside, the flat was a dry (ironically, wife prefers it this way), so sauced it up and was fine. And yield was just under 40% (5.75 lbs on 14.6) on the low side.

Positives: the point was wonderful, used the FoodSaver to put a good potion up for burnt ends next time around. Chopped the rest and sauced for sandwiches later this week. Taste, tenderness good. And, most amazingly, kids are digging the food that comes off the CS. That alone is worth it.

On Smokin's variation, I missed 165*. It cooked quicker than I anticipated, as was up to 182 (13.25 hours) before I was able to remove, sauce, foil, and return it to the CS for another 1.75 hours until it hit 195. Wrapped in a towel, into the cooler for a nice 4.75 hour rest. I was assuming the rest would help keep moist, but it must have been dried out before then. Not terrible, just not great.

Overall, first time around, satisfied, but aching to do the next one ...
Results on my run of the recipe: Fair. I think the meat cooked about right at the temps Smokin recommended although I think on my next one I might do the crutch (foil) at 165 or 5 hrs whichever comes first. Secondly I really liked the aroma of the rub and the marinade, but the family disliked the finish sauce and thought it was too sweet.

Overall I felt inspired to combine my usual recipe and parts of this one for a hybrid that should yield great results, with the following modifications:

Marinade (overnight 12 hrs)
3 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper
3 tbsp. celery salt
2 tbsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. sea salt
3 tbsp. garlic pepper
3 tbsp. oregano
3 tbsp. chili powder (actually I plan to use my Southwest rub)
Yellow Mustard

Lightly apply mustard to the meat then firmly rub in 1/2 of the above rub mixture, refrigerate the brisket 6-12 hrs.

Remove the brisket from the refrigerator and let it start to come to room temperature, and firmly rub in 2/3 of the remaining rub mixture.

Place in cold smoker set to 225� and smoke to 165� or 5 hrs whichever comes first, then remove the brisket from the smoker and place on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap the brisket; sprinkle the last 1/3 of the rub on the brisket and close up the foil and return it back to the 225� smoker and then go with Smokin's modification: "Leave a temp probe in it. Pull it out when the temp hit 190 to 195.

The issue of pulling it this way is how long it's going to be sitting in the cooler. The longer in the cooler, pull it out at 185. Only an hour or say, pull it out at 195".

If anyone tries this out let me know it might be another week before I do my next brisket. Take care!
I tried the recipe at the top of this topic for my first brisket (a trimmed one in cryo from SuperWalmart) and the results were great. I had concerns I'd get a dry finished product because I bought the wrong piece of meat, but it turned out fine. I wrapped it in foil when the temperature got to about 165. My gal is out picking up another piece of (untrimmed) meat so we can try it again. Guess I'm excited. We've only eaten about a pound off the first one. I'm thrilled to hear that they freeze well.
Help!

OK folks - I am a loyal reader and follower of these great recipes. I tried the above recipe and the flavor was superb (the marinade, rub, and the finishing sauce are fantastic).

I am running into trouble with how dry my brisket it is turning out. Here are the steps I took.

1. Marinated a 3.6# flat from Albertsons for 6 hours.
2. as it heated to room temp from the fridge I put on the rub.
3. Then set the smokette's temp to 250 and place the flat in the middle rack. Two separate temperature probes were inserted in the center of the flat and one temp was probe was monitoring the center of the smoker's temp. (Temp of the smokette air was 230 for the duration of this brisket attempt).
4. At the three and a half hour mark, the brisket's temp had plateaued at 156 degrees and stayed there for another three hours.
5. Once the brisket hit 165 degrees, I drenched the flat in the finishing juices, wrapped it in foil, reinserted the probes back into it, and then placed it back into the smokette. (Being sure to place the probes into the thickest part of the brisket with care not to touch anything else but brisket).
6. Let the smokette do its thing until the flat hit 190 degrees.
7. Pulled the flat out, and let it wrest in the foil for about 30-45 minutes.
8. The total cooking time to hit 190 degrees was 10 hours for 3.6 lb brisket. The end result was the flavor was excellent, but the flat itself, was dry, dry, dry. I've read here ow that 1.5 - 2 hours per pound is a common cooking marker. I was cooking to internal meat temp (per the wise instructions of Smokin Okie's instructions). I also know that "it's done when it's done". That's why I let the flat cook to 190 degrees without opening the smokette (almost 3-4 hours longer than it should have taken to get to 190).

OK BBQ Gurus, tell me what the heck I did wrong. I love the smokette and want to become great with it, but after all that effort and love I put into that days cooking, I am a bit disappointed with the results.

Semper BBQ,
Kdub
Ok, I am trying this recipe as we speak. Whoever mentioned reducing the marinade and adding it to the finishing sauce had a good idea. My husand and I both love the mix. The marinade had enough pepper in it to give the finishing sauce a little "kick". I marinated for about 5 hours. Wish it was more, but hey. 10lb brisket. Put it in at 9 pm and will check on it around 7am or so.Hoping it to be done around 10. Wish it and me luck because I've already invited my sister over for some breakfast brisket LOL
I tried my 1st brisket on my smokette using this recipe and it was very good.

11.5# packer cut; put on at 11 pm at 180*; at 8 am turned up to 225*. At 2 it hit 170* and I took it out and put the finishing sauce on it (I let this cool some so it would brush on better) double wrapped in foil and back in. Took it out at 4:30 pm when it hit 195* and wrapped it in a towel and into a cooler for 2 1/2 hours............there were no left overs!
I used this recipe over the weekend and it turned out great. I found a 14 pound brisket at a local store that took 19 hours to reach 195.

I did not use the finishing sauce. I wrapped the brisket in foil and placed it in a cooler and brought it over to a party. The brisket was a hit it was gone in about 20 min.
I'm smoking my first brisket using this recipe also. The brisket is currently resting in the marinade.

I went to 2 markets with one not carrying briskets and the second not carrying anything larger than a four pounder. In addition, Super Walmart was out of stock, and Costco has stopped carrying it altogether (health prone Californians prefer tri tip since it's leaner than the brisket). Finally, at my 5th stop (a local butcher) I was able to pick up a 6.5 lb flat, partially trimmed. It was the largest they had.

Since it's small, I plan on getting up at 6:00 am, draining the marinade, putting on the rub, and placing it in my Elite. When it reaches 170*, I'll foil, put in the finishing sauce(since it was trimmed, I thought the sauce would help keep it moist) and place it back in the smoker. At 195* I'll wrap it in a towel, and place it in a cooler for 2-3 hours.

I've read so much about the brisket in the forum that I'm really looking to this experience. I've invited some close friends over for the "experiment". They've volunteered to be guinea pigs and can roll with the punch. Hopefully, I won't have to throw hot dogs on the grill. Cool
Just had the brisket dinner with the contest recipe. It was very good. A little dry. A little salty. The good merlot went well with it.

It was not like the brisket I've had in Texas. So, you're right on Tom. I'll try the packer with the basic 101 recipe next. Problem is finding a packer out here as I previously mentioned. I'll check Super Walmart when they're back in stock.
Tom and I are pretty traditional Brisket cooks; can't imagine Tom between you and me how many 1,000's we've cooked.

This recipe to me is "different". It'll work, it's pretty simple, but it's not a traditional brisket. Don't get me wrong, if someone says they want something different for their brisket, I'll point them here to try it, as so many people like it.

My favorite brisket is to season it like I would a steak, cook it to finish and eat it without foil never having touched it. But, I've cooked a few...
Yep,like Smokin' says,this "contest winner" can make an edible meal.

Do we know how many contestants,what the criteria was,the quality/knowledge of the judge.

Did the other cooks turn in something bad,or maybe they turned in a good brisket,and the judge was seeking a polynesian pot roast.

yes,it could be juicy and fruity and fall apart, to be served over sticky rice.

Every time I see people rave about this "winner",I wonder if they have had a good brisket,or wanted one..

The reason Donna's family developed these cookers was to turn out a fine beef brisket,and it does.

I'd hate to see the forum family never bother to learn to cook a good packer.

Well,just my $0.02
This is and incredible recipe. I was doing a brisket and a turkey in my double barrel stick smoker. The brisket went in first for 4 hrs @ 225*. The brisket reached 160* by the end of 4 hrs and the turkey needed to go in at 325*. I wrapped the brisket in a tin foil pan with the finishing sauce and cranked the smoker up to 324*. In another 3 hrs. it registered 190* and was removed to the cooler until the turkey joined it in another 1 1/2 hrs. The dinner started some 4 hrs later and both turkey and brisket were still hot. Best brisket, ever. Well done but not falling apart on cutting. Rave reviews form the diners on bot the turkey (a la smokin's 101) and the brisket by this recipe. Here are few pics of the brisket. the first after initial cooking ready to be wrapped and the other tow of the finished product. Thanks for the recipe.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSCN4582_800x600
quote:
Originally posted by Luisfc1972:
the briskets they sell there i have no idea if they are flats or packers? one side is all fat

Just ask the meat manager.

If he doesn't know, the look at the weight. 3 or 4 lbs will be a flat; 7 or more likely a small packer. If you can find 10 lbs or more get that.

Look for a piece of meat with a consistent thickness. Many will taper off into a very thing cut and that will just try out..
I am doing this recipe as I type. This is only my 2nd brisket in my 08. I have not been able to get off the ribs and the butts. I do have my doubts about this though. I am doing everthing to a "T" recipe wise. The marinade did not taste real good. IMO. So we will see how it turns out. I will update. Hope it turns out well.
Sorry for the delay on getting back to my results. I forgot. The Brisket turned out very good. The only thing I changed was the rub. I just used more flavors that I like, Onion Powder, Cumin, stuff like that. All and all I am very pleased with the recipe and will be using it again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.