Skip to main content

I bought an injector and am wondering what some of your favorite recipes are. Please post them and try to describe the flavor as best you can.

Personally, I am looking for something to spice up a chicken with super mild heat; but post whatever you like. Hot and I just don't get along. I thought it would be interesting to learn what my smoking friends enjoy.

TIA for all responses Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This one I like, but you can cut back or eliminate the hot stuff. I got this off the internet and have used it many times.

10 to 13 pound turkey
cajun seasoning mix
4 to 5 gal oil (peanut or canola)
liquid garlic, 2 oz
liquid onion, 2 oz
liquid crab boil, 1 oz
Worcestershire sauce, 2 oz
Tabasco/red pepper sauce, 2 oz
cajun seasoning mix (homemade, Chachere's or Zatarain's), 2 tbs
margarine, 1 stick

Injecting/Seasoning Turkey

This is the most important part. The turkey needs to be injected with a marinade and coated on all sides with a cajun seasoning mix.
Injection Marinade Recipe: Mix the following ingredients and heat the marinade until the margarine melts.

liquid garlic, 2 oz
liquid onion, 2 oz
liquid crab boil, 1 oz
Worcestershire sauce, 2 oz
Tabasco/red pepper sauce, 2 oz
cajun seasoning mix (homemade, Chachere's or Zatarain's), 2 tbs
margarine, 1 stick
yields 13 oz

There is nothing special about this recipe, it is just what I have settled on based on trial and error. Try variations until you get the mixture that suits your taste. The internet is loaded with everyone's favorite recipe. There are also many commercial injection marinades available.
Wash the turkey, remove the giblets, and cut the extra skin from around the neck and the tail.

Inject Marinade: Inject about 1 oz marinade per pound of turkey. Use an injecting syringe. They hold about 1 oz and have a needle with holes on the sides just below the tip. Inject into the breast, thighs, legs and wings.
Coat with Cajun Seasoning Mix: Coat all surfaces with a good cajun seasoning mix (homemade, Chachere's or Zatarain's).
Allow the turkey to marinate in the refrigerator overnight, and longer if possible.

Frying Equipment
Pot and Rack: You need a 30 to 40 quart turkey frying pot with a turkey rack or strainer insert. Almost all commercial pots are about 11 inches in diameter and 15 inches tall. You can easily fry up to a 13-14 pound turkey in an 11 inch diameter pot.

Frying The Turkey
Type Oil. You will need 3 to 4 gallons of oil. Peanut oil is probably the most commonly used oil. I have started using canola oil because it is much cheaper. Supposedly canola oil smokes more that peanut oil, which is no big deal to me! I do not notice a difference in taste of the fried turkey between peanut versus canola oil.
You only fill the pot a little above half full with oil so that when the turkey is added the oil rises high enough to just cover the turkey. You have to do this by trial and error. If you like you can put the turkey in the empty pot and fill it with enough water to just cover the turkey, then remove the turkey and scratch the water level into the wall of the pot as permanent record. Of course you need to dry the pot before adding the oil.
Heat the oil to 350 F.
Insert the turkey onto rack that fits inside the pot.
Slowly lower the turkey into the oil, using the rack hanger. Wear a leather glove on the hand lowering the turkey. As you lower the turkey, the oil will start boiling vigorously, so be careful and slow.
Be careful. You are working with about 3-4 gallons of boiling 350 oF oil, and if you knock the pot over onto you legs and feet it will cause crippling damage. Keep all kids and dogs away from the area and never leave the area unattended. Do not "horse around".
The temperature of the oil will drop to about 300 oF. Turn up the fire, and let the temperature slowly rise back to 350 F.
Fry the turkey 3 minutes per pound. If you like, you can check the internal temperature of the breast with a thermometer to assure the temperature reaches 170-185 oF.
Remove the turkey from pot and let it drain and cool a bit before carving.
The cooked turkey may look awful. It may be dark, somewhat shriveled, and may even appear a bit burned and dry. The first time the oil is used the turkey will be a more golden brown. The more the oil is re-used, the darker the fried turkey will be. But do not worry, it will be moist inside and taste fantastic.
I bought some lemon marinade made by KC Masterpiece and poured it in a zip-lock bag with the chicken, Man!!! did it really taste good!! I didn't smoke it, just grilled it, but it was very tasty. My family thinks oatmeal is spicy, I even have to watch the amount of ground black pepper in my rubs. This makes it very challanging in creating rubs that have flavor, but very little or no heat at all. Personally I like a rub with a little heat as long as it's balanced out with sweet.

dan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.