Skip to main content

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum, but have been reading all this great stuff for the last week. Bought our Smokette last weekend at the Fiery Foods show here and am waiting for its arrival. I collect cookbooks and have a pretty good selection on barbecue/smoking. Tried smoking on a gas grill - Disaster! Bought a cheap electric smoker and can't deal with the hassle of taking it apart to add wood and water (no door, this cheapie), not to mention giving up all day to baby sit it. Now I can keep working (dental hygienist) and still enjoy good barbecue. Smiler
My name is Bob and I live in Iowa. Just became a CS owner a little over a month ago and I am HOOKED. I threw out my old bullet shaped Brinkman smoker & my 18 year old charcoal griller. But I have kept my Brinkman offset cooker just in case I want to return to "the old days". During the day I am the IT manager at a metal stamping facility.

Living in Iowa is wonderful but just lately I have developed this odd characteristic. When we pass by a field with the usual farm critters in it, my wife says "Aw... look at those cute xxxxx." (xxxx = cows, sheep, lambs, goats, etc) And I think "A little CS rub, maybe some marinade, slow cook at 225... serve with slaw...."

Thank everyone for being so helpful here, I couldnt have gotten started without you all. MainelyDave, your pictures & stories are an inspiration that I use to get me pumped up for a cook! Hope to see you all at the upcoming BBQlossal here in Iowa this June! It's a BLAST!!!

Bob
Hi everyone,Dave here (cook 17) this forum is the best there is alot of VERY helpful people on here, I have been doing Q for partys for about 10 years. My wife and I work in textiles and with textiles going offshore so much,we made a decision to start a Q restaurant in a small town in Wi,about 65 miles from St Paul Minnesota. I think this forum help me get over the fear taking the jump, knowing all of the help that is on here, now we are still working at our day jobs, we worked three months get the place ready to open and have been open 1 month as of friday the 30th.
hours
THur 5PM 10PM
Fri 11am-10pm
Sat '' "
Sun 11AM 5Pm
WOW, the first month 1838 meals, were running around 100 racks of st louis ribs a weekend, 80 hour weeks but fun.

If any of the menbers from this Forum stops in to see me (ask for Dave) dinner is on me, just a little thanks for all of the great info from here.

HOG WILD BBQ & GRILL
lUCK WI
Howdy all,

My name is Hook. My parents named me Lew but everyone calls me Hook. I don't know any of you well enough yet to tell you why.

Anyhow, I've been a fan of barbeque for as long as I can remember. Must have gotten it from my mother's Texas side of the family. Living in Utah, my life had been pretty much "real" Q free until the last few years when we've gotten some pretty good spots (by Utah standards.)

Have a New Braunfels offset. Used it with less than spectacular results. My Cookshack 50 has changed my batting average around in just the two loads I've done in it so far.

Good to meet you all. It's a pleasure to be part of such a pleasant group.

Hook
Been a lurker heere for a long time. I started cooking and grilling 30 years ago. Bought my smoker in 2000. Started competing in 2002. Both my wife and I were working at Microsoft at that time. We saw that our jobs were going to India, so we bailed on the corporate world and started a bbq catering company.

We're waiting on delivery of our FE100. Looking to open a restaurant real soon. The only problem with BBQ food service is it cuts back on time to go to competitions.

More than you ever wanted to know is on our website http://www.teddybearbbq.com

~Konrad
Greetings everyone...

My name is John Kiss and I live in Ottawa, Canada's capital.

I recently purchased a Smokette primarily for doing sausage but have been playing around with BBQ too.
I'm going through the usual(?) start-up pains but things seem to be getting better, primarily from all the great info in these forums and all the friendly advice I have received.
This seems to be a very active and productive community - hopefully I can contribute something usefull too !
Hey guys, I don't own a cookshak but I love this board and have been visiting (not posting) for over a year. I'm Jim Morgan in Myrtle Beach, and go by the name Captain Morgan on most q related boards (that name was already taken here). Just started a new website about barbecue, and you're all invited. www.bbqboard.com

Thanks for all the great recipes and tips!
quote:
Originally posted by cadillac:
[qb] My name is Bob and I live in Iowa. Just became a CS owner a little over a month ago and I am HOOKED. I threw out my old bullet shaped Brinkman smoker & my 18 year old charcoal griller. But I have kept my Brinkman offset cooker just in case I want to return to "the old days". During the day I am the IT manager at a metal stamping facility.

Living in Iowa is wonderful but just lately I have developed this odd characteristic. When we pass by a field with the usual farm critters in it, my wife says "Aw... look at those cute xxxxx." (xxxx = cows, sheep, lambs, goats, etc) And I think "A little CS rub, maybe some marinade, slow cook at 225... serve with slaw...."

Thank everyone for being so helpful here, I couldnt have gotten started without you all. MainelyDave, your pictures & stories are an inspiration that I use to get me pumped up for a cook! Hope to see you all at the upcoming BBQlossal here in Iowa this June! It's a BLAST!!!

Bob [/qb]
Gee whiz... thanks! Welcome to the forum - this place is the best. If you can't find an answer by searching the archives (highly recommend, there's tons of info there), posting a question usually gets answered in a couple hours or less.

I've been busy working lately, but should have a new smoke story up by Sunday, if I can find a packer cut, choice brisket up here in lobsterland. Otherwise, I'm hoping to do a Turkey Pastrami thing.

Again - welcome.
quote:
Originally posted by Konrad:
[qb] Both my wife and I were working at Microsoft at that time. We saw that our jobs were going to India, so we bailed on the corporate world and started a bbq catering company.

~Konrad [/qb]
Welcome. I understand the corporate outsourcing beast totally. I was a webmaster, but bailed out to become a Cash Management Analyst, for the same reason as you describe - the work is going to India. Doing the BBQ catering thing is still on my mind - I'm still attempting to figure out how to do it on a part-time basis. (a.k.a. don't quit the day job until the other job can pay the mortgage...)
Hi,
My name is jack and my wife and I are taking the plunge into commercial bbq. In the next 5 working days we are ordering an sm150 and fe100 along with an 8 x 18 foot custom trailer from Trailer-tech as my IRA withdrawal money should arrive by then.
to be honest after a years search i was sold on the southern yankee rig but when we went to the NBBQA convention in atlanta my thinking changed.
John Shifflet spent a lot of time with us and we told him of our needs. As a chef I want to do competitions but my wife wasn't comfortable with the fe100 so he sent us inside to look at the sm150. She loves it and to be honest I feel that that is the smoker we will use the most.
Our name is 2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!, Inc. got it from the fact we own two retired racers and it made for a neat logo!!
But back to Cookshack. We are ordering from them due to Mr Shiflet and the fact that cookshack was the only ones who did not try to tell us how to get around the food laws even if it meant they might have lost a sale. That kind of honesty says to me that they will stand behind their products.
Please excuse any spelling or puncuation errors. i'm just a chef not an english teacher
jack
@ Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!
My name is Reto and being from Switzerland I guess I would pass as an expatBBQ. Got introduced to Q while studying and working in the US and now being back in Switzerland - where one cannot get ribs, butts etc - I am in process of buying - probably - and offset. Thanks for all the hints I got on here about how our butcher should cut ribs and what kind of smoker has what advantages. It makes life abroad easier and my wife (american - we both met in Washington DC which has at least one good BBQ place) is looking forward to the things that I might produce in the offset.

This is a great forum - thanks folks from cookshack to have this on here and let non-CS people participate.

My only request might be to further expand the 101 section - it makes the life of a newbie much easier - and don't forget to put in as many pictures of the meat cuts as possible for all the folks abroach that encounter blank looks from the local butcher when asking about US-style meatcuts Big Grin

During the day I am managing an IT team. We are developing software to support humanitarian demining worldwide. our website

Reto
Hello, my name is Billy I have had a cs 009 for about 8 weeks now. You gotta love this thing it will make anyone a great cook. I have worn out two brinkman smokers and dicided it was time for something better. After doing alot of searching the web I ran across this forum and after that it was not hard to see what kind of smoker I needed to buy. Thank for all wonderful tip and recipes!!!
OK... I will...

Hi... I'm Ron, and I'm a foodaholic... and a coffeegeek...

I live in the far western 'burbs of Chicago. I ordered my Smokette package last night. I own a Weber kettle (hasn't been used much in the last couple of years), a Meco Water Smoker (bullet type), a Weber Genesis Gold B (mainly steaks, chops and rotisserie cooking) and an el cheapo Sears gas grill that is used for coffee roasting.

I'm 47 years old, married with a 16 year old daughter and a 2 year old black lab (Sable). I am a Sales Engineer for a videoconferencing equipment manufacturer and travel quite a bit around the midwest for my job.

As far as other hobbies, my biggest passion is coffee. I roast my own and have my own espresso machine in the home. I also take my coffee along with me for business trips, including a small hand coffee grinder and a small french press. I also am a fishaholic. I enjoy almost any kind of fishing.

Was that too much info?
Hi
My name is Garnet Musser, I live in Ridge Manor, Florida,( about 35 miles north of Tampa )
I have a Smokette, I am new Cook Shack user, I hope to be able to get a model 50 one day to go with my Smokette. I recruite truck drivers for a living. I smoke meat and play a little golf for fun.
Hello all, my name is Shane. I live in central IL (go Illini)with my wife and two kids which are 3 and 1. I'm a firefighter who likes to cook. I lurked for a while but now I am a proud owner of a 008. I am still learning but I'm getting great results with my first few attempts, mostly thanks to this forum! I always wanted a smoker, but never wanted to drop the $ on one. After lurking for a while I new I couldn't wait any longer. Just wish now I would have bought my CS years ago. Thanks for all the help, Shane
Wow! Lot's of great, intelligent discussion. I am Eric of Saint Paul, and I am a neophyte in the smoking world. I do appreciate good Q when I find it, though.

I'm a long time cookshack follower. drbodkin is my mentor. He directs me to the site all the time. I have been promised a brisket for the New Year's Soiree.

Smokin, I was just reading your discussion on posting pictures. Try not to post too many good things. They don't approve when I drool at work. I must take exception to one of your comments, however. According to my wife, "Size does matter!"
Hi my name's Steve Wilson. I'm an ex-major league baseball pitcher: Rangers, Cubs, Dodgers, turned restauranteur livin in Taiwan!!! Love it here, my home now. By the way, Venezuelan Mike, I played 3 winter balls in Dominican, town of La Romana. Great Golf!!
I've been on the site for a couple of months. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful, funny, humble, and just plain old down to earth!!
My cookshack 50 is in Taipei as we speak, should be in Kaohsiung tomorrow, and then I'll be picking it up. Hope to be doing my first cooking this weekend!
We live on an Island 3 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, a population of 760. Nothing to do here but fish and eat. Finally retired. Hobbies are cooking and eating, fishing, BBQing and eating, amateur radio operator, eating. My wife says I have too many grills, smokers, and BBQs - six at last count, one of which is a CS55. My opinion - you can't be too rich, too young, too handsome, or HAVE TOO MANY GRILLS. I only qualify for the last one. Big Grin Really enjoy making contact with other BBQers and like the fun put out and accepted on this site. Almost see the smiles on everyone's face. Smiler smokemullet
Last edited by Former Member
Never really introduced myself. I'm married, have five kids and a wife that is still a school teacher.

Worked as a machinist and buyer for Hewlett-Packard for 20+ years.. Before that I worked for the University of Calif at a marine laboratory diving, running boats, managing the maintenance part of the facility. Do a lot of RV'ing and my hobby is woodcarving. At least I can supplement our income with it.. at least pays for the toys.

I live in the wine country of N. Calif When my knees get back some strength I hope to be fishing again.. it was a hobby of mine.

I've just started seriously smoking and could only dream of opening a lunch wagon some day.. If I get good enough.. who knows.
I'm from Northern Minnesota. Where a barbeque is a sandwich and a pop is a drink and not your relative. Ambient tempearature was always a worry prior to my cookshack.

I've had my Cookshack for about a month and have had very good success with everything I've tried. I'm a banker during the day and a smoker, hunter fisherman in the evenings and on weekends.

My wife's family manufacture and sell soup bases and spices so I have an opportunity to concoct some wicked rubs and marinades. Thanks for the advice I've recieved so and the stuff to come. I've had an opportunity to show my cooksahck to several friends and I think the sales will follow.

bart-b-que. Cool
Just bought my 55 did the break-in 12-12-04. Enjoy the heck out of Babying. Miss Texas Style Brisket. Just real hard to find here in Ca. I am hoping to be throwing rocks at my Char-Broil offset. That thing is just terrible leaks air everywhere. Got the 55 instead of a custom offset. Hope it works as well as my offset built out of pipeline scraps.

Hope you guy make one for us University of Texas Longhorn fans�couldn�t buy anything w/ OU logo on it!
Hello all from Panama City Fla.!My name is Billy and love to cook.Enjoy my Smokin Tex each week.Cant get enough of good foods.My girlfriend was glad when I bought the Smokin Tex as I quit collecting new grills and off-set smokers and stuff!I am a lurker here mostly,but have had great info and input given to me when I ask for it.Thanks for a great forum!!Keep up the good work!!
Hey people. My name is Curtis. I'm from East Tennessee. I roll can sheet to make enough beer cans for the world. I just got home after a 24 hour run with that smoking 30,000 HP demon. But I just made you'll several million pounds of can sheet to form into 2-3 bilion beer cans. You'll have to get some of them other boys to do that though.

I've had 3 days off since September 29.

But I like a sweet smoke not a harsh smoke. Meat don't need all new wood. It smokes much better with the ashes of a friends fire and a little new wood from you. Then you pass that ash along to another friend. Share a fire that you enjoyed with a friend and let them pass it on.

Share, little children, share, be nice and share a smoke with a friend for all our sakes.

Ilove you all
Popajack here. I quit smoking back in 1971. then I got my Cookshack and have been smoking ever since. I am a retired lawyer and aspiring smoker of meats. I have never been so impressed with any tool I bought as I am with my little Smokette. And the people on this forum have been there and done that for just about every question I have. You can't buy knowledge like you get given freely here on this forum!
My name is Jon and I'm a family practice physician in upstate New York. I recently bought a CS and have had it for only 5 days. Already cooked chicken & pork butt. I have been using a Big Green Egg.

I need to build some type of housing for the CS. It's cold and snowy here which complicates using and cleaning it. Any plans or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon E.
Hello all,I am fairly new on the forum. I am also a new cook shack owner.my name is Richard,I live in Fairview AL.about 12 miles west of Mobile,AL.I own a gas grill,a Grill Dome & now a 009 cook shack smoker,I just bought it back in september.I am learning a lot just by reading & keeping up with the forum.I have owned a lot of different smokers in the past,but this is my first electric smoker.thanks to all of you for your help & info.Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to everyone.looking forward to being part of the gang.
Hey Taiwan, just as a matter of coincidence, My best friend back then whose family I lived with for over a year is a great Lisey fan, as a matter of fact his father is now the president of the team! Emigdio Garrido. I also golfed at La Romana, although back in the mid 70's I payed a bit more attention to the girls, back in those days it was a lot of fun being a gringo in the D.R. Congrats on your purchase, I am not a Cookshack owner....yet. But first semester 2005 will find me in sunny Vancouver B.C. and my order is going in before I open my suitcases! P.S. How about a BBQ dim sum?
Hi folks. I got my Smokette back in August. Since then, I have Q'd pork butts, chuck roast, spare ribs, more pork butts, and chicken breasts. I smoked the Thanksgiving Day bird, and have made smoked polish sausage, summer sausage, and jerky as well. The kids may want their MTV, but I want my 008!

My name is Gary, and I'm from Ohio. My friends call me Geiyser because an old hippy friend who came up with my official slogan: I'm Geiyser from Ohiser who on occasion drinks Budweiser. (but only when there's no Miller Lite!)

I hunt, fish, golf, and use my CS for fun. I sell commercial refrigeration equipment, meat processing equipment, and design and engineer Supermarkets because I like to fish, hunt, golf, and use my CS.

I'm glad to meet and talk meat with all of you. Thanks for all the knowledge you pass along. I'd catch a lot more fish if fishermen were as open with there "hot spots" as you all are with your techniques!
Hello All...

Sorry about checking in so late but I haven't visited regularly since I put the CS away for the winter.

My name is John and I live in Canada's capital, Ottawa.
I'm a forensics officer and have two sons in Engineering at Ottawa University. My wife shares my love of meat preparation, particularly sausage making, (likely the result of my Hungarian genetic programming).

Unfortunately, our really cold winters limit smoking, (realistically), to eight or nine months :-(

This was my first summer with my 008. I learned a lot, (primarily thanks to this great forum), and had many memorable meals.
I finished the season being darn good, (if I may say so myself), at smoking butts, briskets, ribs, and sausage. I learned how to rub, cure, and brine.
Next year can only be better !

I've really enjoyed chatting with you all and sharing our love of Q.
I am from Rapid city South Dakota,,met a man at church about 10 years ago from Texas,,went to his house for thanksgiving,,,you can guess the rest,,haha,,,bought an 009 last July,,love it,,I consider myself a "BBQ liteweight" because I mostly do burgers and "enhanced" chicken breast's, but my family and friends fight to get my "Q",,I dont even mess with rubs or nothin,,lol
My cookshack is a "TOY" my wife is glad I have. I love this forum and all the great info and comraderie here. Maybe someday I will "move up" to briskets and butts,,but,,I'm in no hurry,,I'm eatin very good now !!
MERRY CHRISTMAS; DONNA,OKIE,TOM AND ALL THE REST !!
I'm BR from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. I smoke and cue as a hobby... actually it's cause I like to eat. I currently have a WSM but my next will be a Cookshack. I thought about building a "Wilbur" in the back yard but that's too much work so I'll get the Cookshack instead. I like cold smoking, sausage and jerky making. Hard to believe the best site on the net is in Oklahoma.
Hello, my name is Danny and I am from the GREAT city of Baton Rouge. My favorite thing to do is to COOK!!! I love to cook for all my friends at LSU football games.

I am a police office here in the city and have been for 24 years. Can retire in one year if I so desire. WHAT A GREAT FEELING!!

Smokin, it is hard to belive that there are over 4000 members now in the forum. Geez, I was member number 31.

BEAT USC!!! GOOD LUCK!!!
Good morning, my name is Peter and I am a smokaholic! What a stupid thing to have as a hobby/business in a place that has 11 months of winter and a month of lousy skiing. LOL
I'm not a CS owner (yet), but I have a feeling that ownership is not far away.
Jon in NY, have you checked out the plastic garages that folks use to keep the snow off their cars? They can be had for a couple of hundred bucks and will keep you, your cooker, your friends and a box of brown pop nice and dry and warm even on a bad day.

Peter
i grew up in marianna florida and live in spartanburg sc practicing orthopedic surg. primarily sports medicine. i do love the cookshack and will be smoking tonight 2 butts. i cook some but the cookshack makes me a great cook. i will send smokin a pic i downloaded from one of his contests a few years ago. jan
For those of you too lazy to scroll back in this thread, let me repeat myself.

I'm Dave, I live in Maine. Work as a Cash Management Analyst and have a side business as Web Developer and Energy Auditor.

I've owned a Cookshack Smokette since April of '04. I love it. Still use my El Cheapo Brinkman when camping (no electricity) or if I need additional capacity. But otherwise, the Smokette does it all. I plan on smoking right through the Winter!

My Winter project is to figure out how to play the mandolin. Hoping to go to Merlefest in '2006.
Hi. I will do this again. I live in Northcentral Arkansas in the same dadburn county in which I was born. I was gone for a while in the USAF, came home, nuttin had changed. Thank God! Lots of good huntin and fishin round here, and overall nice scenery. I now work in the healthcare industry. I would take nothing for my CookShack, it helps prepare lots of meals. I have alot of hobbies including hunting, fishing, camping, boating, gardening, winemaking, spending time with family.

Remember all: This season is about God, Jesus, family, and giving. It is not about Walmart, Kmart, JCPenney, or anything to do with money.

Happy Holidays! Smiler
My name is Brent... I live in Oregon... I hope there are at least a few of us Westcoasters on this board... I lurked on the board for about a month before I asked for an 009 for my birthday... I have a wonderful wife and I got one last summer...

I've enjoyed cooking since I was a kid and queing since I was in my 20's... I have to say I've learned more in the last 6 mos from all of you than I learned on my own in the last several years...

Thank you and Happy Holidays to all!!!!
My name is Keith....I grew up in Pa, move to Cleveland, Oh 21 years ago, started smoking about 4 years ago during the winter months I only smoke about once a month due to the fact I work at the airport and put in alot of hours (SNOW, ICE) Summer time its 8 and out I smoke once a week or more. When I got started it was rough not growing up around Q I just did it for a while learned more each time. Then I found this site and I have been having good Q ever since.

Thanks Mix
Hello. My name is William from the eastern shore of Maryland. Been lurking on site and have really learned a lot. I am new at this slow smoking. I do not have CS yet but I do have a Brinkman Electric.This does a good job for me on cooking beef, turkey, chicken and ham. Also have a Smokey Mountain Outdoors which I have converted to electric with a 1500W.heating element. I think this does a excellent job.I really thank all for info I have received, especially from Smoking & Tom.
weapeg
Hi all, Kamots here. And Okie born an bred. GO SOONERS! National CHAMPS BABY, we dont need no stinking heisman. Anyway ive always been into cooking outdoors, grilling an q'ing of all types, but until this summer when i picked up my smokette did i realize what i was missing. Man have i ever been advertising for cookshack. Everyone that eats my food get ask how i do it an blam there goes the story, i think the family is getting a little tired of hearing it, but oh well. This is an awesome forums with great people. G'day.

Kamots
Hello all, I�m Gregg and live in Northwest Arkansas. I got transplanted here about 20 years ago from Springfield, MO where I was born and raised. I am a Navy vet, have been married 39 years to Lynda, have two sons and 6 grandchildren. For about 8 months out of the year operate a Country Cobbler concession unit mostly at state fairs.

I have never smoked anything in my life so I�m about as rookie as one can be. I have been lurking and learning here on the forum for some time getting a handle on what I should buy. I now have a ST1400 that just arrived yesterday morning. It was out of the box and being seasoned within the hour. So now it begins.

Thanks to all for so much information. It sure makes starting this new hobby a great deal more enjoyable and interesting.
Hey all been around here for a couple of weeks, I am a chef by education a consultant by trade and a smoker by love. Working towards putting them all together.

I live in Phoenix Arizona, grew up outside of Boston and have a great wife and two kids 1 and 3 years old.

This is a great forum, it is great to get replies to all my many questions.

tom
Sorry about the delay. Puter had an attitude for a couple days. I'm Dave, originally from Endicott NY now in Bel Air MD. for 9 months. Built my own smoker a couple years back. Now I have a ST1400. Love this type smoker! So far brisket is our family favorite. The ribs need work but that will come with practice. Still tryin to find a good wood source and my own rub. New to the area is the cause for wood supply search. Enjoy! Dj
Also, Married for 27 years to a beautiful woman that gave me one great son, 25 years ago. Our hobbies are riding our Harleys, beachin in the summer and eating smoked meats. We both worked at IBM for 25 years then quit to start new career in self storage management. We have a Ducane gas grill and the ST.
Howdy from beautiful Largo Florida! I'm a 51 yo Biker. Living in sin for 10 years 2 ex wives and 2 great grown up kids. Have built several smokers in my time. The biggest on is a offset made from a old refrig. that I use for my annual 4th of july party where we normally have 200-300 people. {never trust a biker with a welder and some extra metal} Anyway, living in Florida allows me to cook 80% of my meals outside so I built a outside kitchen. I recently [8 months ago] bought a CS and love it!
I'm a forensic mechanic by trade, In my work I travel all over the GREAT U.S.! so am always looking for new ideas in food and equiptment.
My currant search is for the ultimate outside grill to complete my cooking area.
I'm scott from scottnshelly. in ardmore, oklahoma.
I was never exposed to BBQ as a child. When my wife and I first moved in together, she got a small hibachi grill for her birthday. I confiscated it and began cooking hamburgers. now i've upgraded to a Char-Broil dome style grill. i've cooked a couple things on there with some success. a smoker is still on my christmas list.
my favorite things to cook are beans (which i've mastered), stuffed peppers and hamburgers.
i'm really glad that google brought me to this forum, i've learned a lot.
thanks cookshack!
Sean here...I'm relatively new the smokin' game. I got my Cookshack 009 for Christmas. Not new to a BBQ, but most of it has been the high heat style (Tec Patio II). I love the forums...they must be at least as valuable as the price of the Cookshack to me. Wanna know what I do, check out www.microsoft.com/mvp. Give it read, I think we'd all agree there are some MVPs of the Q'ing world here on this forumSmiler Thanks for all the great fun and reading.
Sean
Hi! I'm Popajack. I've been a member of the forum for about 3 years or so. It is the best place to find out anything you would ever need to know about Smoking or Q. I love to cook and eat. I hope to have more time to smoke and BBQ this year coming. I really enjoy reading the forum. I am planning a trip to Memphis for some Q & Ribs this year. I will critique the restaurants I go to when I return.
Hi Everone I'm Tom. from up here in the frozen north. I usaually smoke at least once a week when it warmer less and less as it gets colder. But a week or so ago my wife was getting tried of paying 7-8.00 dollars a pound for smoked turkey breast so she told me I mean asked (I am the man of the house you know)me to smoke up some T-breasts.
I am sure someone out there can beat this but, it was 20 below zero out and I want to say the CS worked perfecty. All I did was let it warm up for 15 min to take the "chill" off.

I want to thank everyone out there for all there grat advise, I really belive this form as saved allot of ruined meat over the years.

Tom
Hi,My name is Bill Arnold and I go by Blues Hog on here. I am very new to this site and also new to my FEC100. I have several pits but I have always wanted a pellet burner. I don't have much to offer as I have only had it for a month. I hit the competition circuit quite frequently, own a barbecue sauce company and a barbecue restaurant. Been cooking for over 30 years but hope to learn quite a bit on here. Happy queing.
Hello all,
Have had a cookshack smoker close to a year now and love it. Stainless smokette is one awesome machine. Had some doubts at first, but this forum really helped me through some curious times. Hey smokin, instead of just chewin the fat about introductions, why not have the folks post one of the best things they think they smoked so that the rest of us can contact those they fancy for the recipe. Then this forum will be working with the purpose of the endless pursuit of perfect smoking. Give it a go, can't hurt.

Smokin in Fresno
Hello from middle Tennessee,

I am Eddie Eller, retired military and recreational chef. Food has always been an interest of mine, hence the collection of over 500 cookbooks and thousands of hours watching cooking shows as far back as the "Galloping Gourmet", Julia Child and James Braid. Worked in law enforcement the first part of my career and then information management. Attended the CIA, no not that one in NY. My enthusisam for food intensifies every time I see a new recipe and I spend a lot of time searching for new ingredients and techniques. I bought a Smokette about 6 years ago, but only found the Forum last April when I added a Model 50 to my outdoor kitchen. My skills have advanced greatly by incorporating the comments and advice found on this forum.
Hi everyone - I'm from Linn, MO which is in the middle of the state. Looking to buy my first CS this year as I get my new business open in a trailer set-up. Nice website that has so much useful information. Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy and participate in this forum.
hey guys, my name is Phil White i now live in Huntsvliie,Alabama but was born and raised in Livingston,Tennessee(GO VOLS2005 the year those vols come alive) been q'n all my life44 years .I got started as a youngster tending fire for my papa.I use a homemade off set cooker and a weber table top grill.Ido compete with the backyard cookers and dont do to bad took mt first grand champion last yrar at lincoin county fair and a 2nd with mt ribs at rocket city cook off but winning isn't what i go for its for free and for fun and winning is just a biproduct of having fun
Hi!

Just call me Kate. I'm an import to Park Falls, Wisconsin, way north! I was born a Hoosier, but lived most of my life down in the Islands, where oddly enough, I discovered Texas BBQ. I owned an English styled Fish and Chips Shop (shack) in St. Thomas. My husband is a native Wisconsinite, so here I am. We have a reindeer farm. No, we do not BBQ them! They are for displays and parades, not eating. Of course that is winter work and we needed a summertime gig. So, we are putting together a BBQ Concession Trailer. They are a bit more picky up here on Health and Safety standards than in the Islands! Still, they made me jump through hoops down there that you never see stateside, so I'll not complain too much. We are waiting for our brand new FEC 100 to arrive in a few weeks. It was on this forum that I became convinced that it was just the right unit for us. Thank you! Anyway ... I hope that I can contribute a bit and I know that I have already learned a lot on this forum. This is a great place! Thanks for being here !

Kate

PS Not complaining, but has anyone noticed those nasty cockroaches on the top of the page in the ads? They gross me out!
Makes me recall the giant sized ones we had in the Islands. I think you call them Palmettos in Florida, something else in Texas, Mahogany Birds in St. Thomas, but a roach is a roach by any other name in my book! Just gross! Wink
Salmonhead here. the name should tell you I am an avid salmon fishing nut on the great lakes. I have an offshore boat and pretty much fish from ice out to ice in, when hunting takes over. Most things that go into my new smokette are game or fish. I got the smokette late fall of 04 so I didnt have much time to smoke fish. I have done some venison butts and they are fabulous. I shot a wild boar recently and am trying the butt and hocks as we speak. Love all the input from everyone else's experiences. Saves me a lot of headaches.
I reside in Michigan.
hi to all at the forum. jack foley is the name from spring hill florida. my wife rita and i are retired O.T.R. truck drivers. new to forum but have used many a smoker that we built over the years. looking at buying a 08 an need feedback on this unit.what comes with it,what all can be done on it etc. could use recipes for mullet-shark-redfish etc. also any info on consession trailers,plans-sales so on. this is the best forum i have ever looked at and hope to ck.it out often.
thanks jack&rita foley
Hi all, another newcomer here. Name is Craig from Erie, PA. Do all kinds of outdoor cooking, grilling, smoking in all weather. Have a homemade offset smoker, 2 table-top Sunbeam gas grills for tailgating, a Weber kettle, a Fiesta gas grill, as well as a wood stove that's used for primary heating but has seen many a meal in the grill basket. Do a lot of outdoor cooking at camp (20 miles outside town) in an old fashioned stone fireplace that can used in a multitude of ways. I am a semi-retired Chef/Restaurant Consultant and operate my own catering business. New to the forums but plan on spending more time here. Looks like a great site!!
Hello...new member here, been reading the forum for several months. My name is Dan, I work for Lockheed Martin as a Network Administrator for NASA for 30+ years. Live just south of Baltimore Maryland.

I have learned a lot from my fellow members and would like to say thank you!!! I cater occasionally but would like to get into the culinary field more professionally.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/37674616/295316447ovmqIh
This is my cooking arsonal......

http://community.webshots.com/photo/47773050/295319928ymiabQ
And this is me!!

I'm married with children and smoke, grill, stir fry, do low-country boils year round.....

This is a very great forum, I hope to contribute to other members. I've also been recruiting other guys here at work into the Smoking World!!
Hi Smokin�

arkansasQer here. We traveled a good bit over the years, including a brief stay in your state, (Chickasha). Mostly mid-west though and recent retirement to Florida. Four hurricanes were enough for us and we�re back in (our home state) north central Arkansas. We bleed Hog Red when it comes to football and basketball, even though we�ve not had a great deal to cheer about the past couple of years. Better times are a comin��.GO HOG�S!

I�ve been around this forum for a few weeks, long enough to do some ribs, brisket, and butt on my new CookShack Smokette, all of which were near perfect.

Great bunch of folks on this forum and lots of good hints, helps and ideas. I�m fine-tuning my technique, keeping notes as to what worked and what needs further �tuning� and looking forward to my next �smoke.�

arkansasQer
My name is Scott and I live in Nebraska but grew up in N Alabama. The barbeque here is not very good compared to Alabama. So I have been a student of the forum and have recieved some great advise over the last several years, I also have gotton rid of several wood smokers and now have a model 50 and a 150 cookshack and also a WSM bullit. I rarely chime in unless I have a little different slant on things. The advise on the forum is super and usually from real Q experts. I also like using Cookshacks Spicy chicken rub on many things.
Hello everyone. New member here. Been flying for the Air Force for the last 25 years. Flying Hot Air Balloons, cooking and eating are some of my hobbies, but not always in that order. Just bought my smokette at the National Fiery Foods and Barbecue Show. Can't wait for the first plate of Q. Thanks to everyone for the Forum!
smokintim here,

Found this forum through google, and it looked worth it. Seems you guy's know a thing or 2 about BBQ. Been que'n for about 5 years now. Was using a vertical Brinkman for a few years, finally got fed up with trying to control the heat, and finally built a horizontal off-set myself. Still breaking it in. I only love one thing more than good BBQ, especially my own, and that's my family!
Found this forum and others surfing with Google. Essentially I have found out that I don't know crap from shinola about bbq/smokin/etc. I have also done pretty much every "NEVER DO THIS..." a fella can do. I am retired military. We've settled in rural Missouri. Really appreciate of everyone sharing tips and Q wisdom. Don't have a smoker yet. Leaning toward the WSM. OTOH I have neighbors out here that have welded custom pits from 500gal propane tanks. I'll let you know how my first butt,rib,shoulder,brisket,tri-tip attempt turns out.
I'm Dave G. Just got my smokette two weeks ago. Have grilled for years but got turned onto smoking by a friend at church. He owned two BBQ restaurants - one in Houston and the other in CT. and has a smokette at home (he's now retired). I tasted his brisket and ribs and knew I had to get my own smoker. Northern NJ is where I live and work (attorney).
I am a lurker from L.A. (Lower Alabama). I have enjoyed reading ya'lls posts on all the different smoking techniques. I have one homemade 38" long horizontal grill, one homemade 54" long offset grill, and a CooknCajun water smoker. As ya can tell, I like to BBQ also. My bride of 26 years has told me, if ya are so impressed with the Cookshack Smoker, get ya one. See, this forum sells. I would like to ask a question though. I love the SmokinOkie 101 Series. I read a message where there was going to be a University of Q and part of that was a 202 Series. I think this was a message from several years ago. Whatever happened to it?
My name is Andy.

My cooking background is mostly grilling. From indirect charcoal days with a Weber in the 1980s to my propane Weber today.

I became intrigued with slow cooking BBQ after seeing a BBQ competition marathon on The Food Network last summer/fall. That lead me to try to get make pulled pork using my propane grill.

I tried this for a couple months. In that time, I got a method down, doing brining, developing rubs, etc. and with a lot of help from my father-in-law (who is a master of slow cooking on the regular Weber kettle).

The meat was great, but never quite pullable. I just couldn't give it enough time to get that tender. Also, I couldn't really add a lot of smoke flavor, because I could never get wood to burn reliably in the grill. Add to that burning up a lot of propane over the course of hours of slow grilling. It was also hard to get the grill to go as low as I wanted it too (only one burner at minimum setting would get me to 225 on a good day). I figured there had to be an easier solution.

The Smokette is a godsend. Got my Smokette 008 less than a month ago and have had nothing but success.
My name is Jeff from West Des Moines, Iowa. I've been a CS owner for about 6 months or so. I've been lurking about the forum ever since but just recently joined. I've become almost obsessive about Q since buying the CS Smokette. I use mine at least once a week. I look at this forum as a support group for Q-aholics.....
I'm Ray 'teller from the "Deep Creek" section of Chesapeake, Va. I retired 4/2/01 from the IBEW (43 years) and Ford Motor co (30 years. I started @ FORD as an Electrician and worked the last 12 years as a Safety Engineer.
I've been lurking on this site for about 3 yrs. Really impressed with all the assistance that you guys (& Gals) offer. I made my mind up last year that the only smoker for me would be a Cookshack, but never could justify the Cost.
This past Friday ( my 64 th B-day) I stopped in a local pool & Hot tub dealer. They were closing out on their Grill section. They had a slightly used 008 model for $400.00. I went home, and after some thought, called them back and asked if they would take $350 for it. After discussion w/the owner they called & said "come get it. Cleaned it & it looks brand new! Hope to go to BJ's tomorrow & get smokin shortly.
Aloha

My Nickname is Mango
My home is on the Island of Maui, married 15 Years, occupation chief building engineer (read Mr. fit-it) I have lived on Maui 19 Years grew up in San Francisco.

I like to woodwork, snorkel/dive spearfish BBQ, cook and not cook insert Sashimi; you can find me in our Institute�s kitchen watching the Chefs work. Tumbling product marinating and smoking in their double pot lil smokehouse. They told me I was an idiot for buying a smoker when they have one here just two floors down I can use anytime.

We {wife and I} bought an electric bullet 5 Years ago; I have used it 5 times. My boss is a resident as well and I know he would frown on gas or fire on our Lanai. Even though it is 6� concrete all around (he�s weird Smiler ) Well I was wrong he frowned on the electric too actually the smoke. He lives 5 floors up and he did not like it. He rules period.

Well He retires July and I am going to celebrate with a new BETTER smoker.
I am in the process of purchasing a smoker and CookShack is the model I have decided on.

The price of the Cookshack smokers is a little hard to handle at first but all the talk and loyalty sold me (been looking at the site about 1.5 years even received literature 1.5 years ago and 1 Month ago. When I finally decided FINE! Now do I need the 008 or the 50 that was! my last hurdle, I really did not want to sell myself short on the 008 when it came to capacity. Up until 3 weeks ago that was my "only� dilemma.

However! Yet another dilemma, No its not the shipping of the smoker, I assume it does not arrive in a plain wrapper. I had a friend agree that I could ship it to his residence. To avoid suspicion on my bosses part J

It is the fact that Smoke Shack has developed the end all of all smokers the Ron popeil version of set it and forget it. For a beginner that is such a selling point into the mystery of perfect smoking. It has almost removed all the fear of it.

. Sheesh okay I swallowed possibly $800.00 for a smoker to now a possible $1,500.00 and a very upset wife. Eeker Cannot life be just be a wee bit less stressful, you know! Two Months if you just could have waited two Months to announce the birth of a new smoker Big Grin

I have entered the contest so I shall manage to wait a little while longer to know the results.

I have read almost all the posts in all the folders concerning the CS models back to July 1, 2001 great information and mouth-watering recipes. Learned a lot and seen pictures of the 008 and 50 loaded. Many of my questions have been answered and recent e-mails have answered a few others.

Being a person whom purchased a Unisaw and a very large 16� band saw. Decided the 50 is overkill I mean the right option (If and only if I decide not to go for it the new no name model you know the larger better equipped new model (thanks again) what�s life without indecision and stress.

Thanks for reading the very long first post, if you spread it out over 1.5 years it is not all that long.

Question:

One I did not find covered.

Can you cold smoke meats [rib eyes, burgers store bought dogs & sausage�s] for black skillet cooking? If yes how do you do it?

Mahalo
& Aloha Ke Akua
Hi all, I am HYPNOCHUCK, I am a professional national and international entertainer (Hypnotist)I just returned fron Japan and Saudi Arabia here I was entertaining U.S. Military Troops, (a very Great honor for me)
I have been smoking for a couple of years but only with charcoal and wood,
I wanted an electric smoker and after much research I purchased the CS 55 just the day befor yesterday, it isnow in transit to my home in San Diego, and will arrive on May 11,05.

I found this forum and have been reading it almost non=stop for two days. There is SOOOOO much info here it is unbelievable. I hope to become friend with many of you in the future.
You can see my web page at www.ChuckMilligan.com
if the board allows me to post my site
I am axniously awaiting the arrival of my CS 55
Best to all, HypnoChuck
Hello! My name is Mike. I live in southern Illinois the land of no oportunity! We have great fishing, camping and of course good BBQ! But no jobs! I have been a advid BBQer/Smoker for over 35 years. Best hobby in the world. I just bought a SM008 to give her a try. I have been a member for a short time but man is their a lot of fine people on this site. A great informational base too. Thanks for letting me join in the BBQ games!
Hi all John from southeastern Ohio. Iv'e been thinking about a CS for a couple years have had an electric smoker for a while but finaly took the plunge and ordered an 008 that I just received last week. So far have done a shoulder,jerky and a brisket. They all turned out excellent. The brisket just came of last night and it was the best I've ever had. I'm hooked!!!!
I'm Steve from Ames, Iowa. I got my CS 008 about 2 1/2 weeks ago from Cabelas. I bought it because I never have time to tend a fire anymore. I figured what good is a smoker which never gets used. Now I can try different stuff without having to commit an entire day to the process. Now I spend all day and night on the internet checking out recipies and getting advice. My wife thinks I'm surfing for porn. It might be because when she asked what I was doing I told her I was looking at some "big racks" and "nice butts." Do you think I should have told her it was all BBQ?????
My name is Frank and I am from MAINE, I have NEVER eaten real "Q" my 009 smokett is in a fedex truck and due here Tuesday, I can't wait I have a Maverick ET-73 ready to go, I have made 7 cases of homebrewed beer just to go with the "Q" (you can read my brewing exploits at www.finevinewines.com), I need to thank Hippie who sent me here and Mainlydave for his effort on his fine website. Unfortunatly I had to buy my cookshack from Americasbestbbq due to cookshack being unwilling to match their price however they shipped it the next day. This forum has been a great deal of help, I think I am ready....LET'S ROLL!!
Hello everyone. I am a new CS owner in Dallas Texas. A guy building an outdoor kitchen for me suggested CS when I asked him to find a place on the new setup that would allow the offset for fit in in such a way that my wife would not put it and me out on the curb. I have been using an Oklahoma Joe offset for the last 12 years (since college)and was looking for something that would not take constant monitoring and adjustment. As I and my kids get older, I do not have an entire day to watch and monitor the pit. The CS seems to be exactly what the DR ordered. I am having my first smoke next weekend for a lot of people so my reputation is on the line. Wish me luck. BTW there are a lot of good tips and information on the forum. Thanks for everyone's input.
Greetings All --

1st time posting -- Long time lurker !!

I've had my 009 since the 1st of the year and LOVE it !!

I've done several Butts -- Nothing else as they taste so good !!

It's just Ma and me ..... And she doesn't eat much besides ding dongs and twinkees -- So I make burritos from the left overs as seen in this link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/356070494GoYDYT

Now -- That I've got Butts down pat -- I'm going to try a brisket ......... :^)

GREAT Forum and friendly people !!

Tootles ......

Dave
Florence, OR
Hi, I'm Bob
I'm also new to this, I ordered my cs008 last Sunday, and it's to be delivered next Monday, can harkly wait. LOL.
I go by Jeepster 'cause my pride and joy is a 1950 Jeepster sport phaeton (convertable), totally stock and nice.
Sure love reading all the stuff about the cs and I can already smell the smoke, Thanks all
Hi. I'm Greg M. from Lansing, Michigan. Just got a SmokinTex, after doing a google search on "electric smoker," and before finding out about CookShack. (I think you can pay Google to have your url appear at the top of a search.) Looked for an electric smoker after seeing Alton Brown improvise one on "Good Eats."

After a bit more googlin' I found out about CookShack and this site. What a great resource and great community!

I just finished my first brisket, a 6 lb flat rubbed with Chris Schlesinger's "All South Rub." Eleven hours at 225 to reach 190 degrees. Not bad, maybe a little dry (not a lack of moisture so much as a lack of any fat in the lean portion), maybe needs a little more salt and more heat in the rub. I'll see how it tastes tomorrow, after all the smoke and cooking odors dissipate.
Hi I am David. I have been around a few places grew up in Arkansas, graduated from Oklahoma University, and moved to Dallas after graduating.

My wife Mara and I followed two of our children to New York 5 years ago and we now have a restaurant in the East Village.

Mara's Homemade has been a cajun and southern comfort food till a month ago. We added BBQ to the menu with a cookshack 150.

Just returned from Arkanasas and Memphis and tasted some BBQ. I must admit I thought ours is just as good.

We are loving every minute bring real Arkansas BBQ to NYC.

http:/www.marashomeamde.com

The best thing is our customers say nice things about the food.
Hello,

this is the first post, I joined as a new member last night and have owned a cookshack smokette for about 2 weeks. I live in northern ohio and I swear nobody has ever seen one of these units before up here. I am the rookie of rookies when it come to this but love to cook and look forward to the results. Other interests, Golf(3 hdcp) waterskiing(nautique super sport)
Howdy,

I joined this forum becaue I saw how much good info the archives have to offer. I'm the new/proud owner of a Brinkman Smoke n' Pit Professional and I can now boast that I have finally conquered brisket smoking. I had a very small vertical smoker prior to this one that wasn't very good at holding temperature or allowing me to tend the fire, add liquid to the bath, etc. I could do everything else well, but my brisket never turned out the way I had hoped. All that has changed--and I look forward to learning even more from all of you.

Peace,
JCS
Another David - I'm from Clearwater, FL. I compete and cater. Currently I'm using a Kingfisher BK Combo rotisserie cooker. I've competed against the CS and FE cookers often and while I'm not convinced to go to a pooper for competition (yet, yet!! Give me a chance!) I am seriously considering one or two for my catering/concession setup.

Yes, I've met and been whipped up on by 2Greyhounds Smokin', Bill & Nina, and so on. I'm hear for the great info and especially the professional forum.
Hi,
I am new..as of today..but have also been a lurker. I too had lusted for several years as the price rose on the cookette! Mine is supposed to be shipped July 19! So I will be hoping for advice galore. I have lived in Oklahoma City since 1975 but am still considered to be a Yankee..I don't mind being called that.I grew up in suburbs of Philadelphia. I have relatives and friends in lots of places mentioned here as Home towns. Kathy English
I am Gerry Printz. Got the Cookshack 055 a couple of weeks ago. So far, everything has been great. Tonight, I smoked 25 burgers - everyone agreee they were much better than the burgers I smoked on my old Brinkman offset (Smokin' Pit Professional). Will be trying my first shoulders this coming week.
I was going to get a new offset and started reading about the Cookshack. Was leery of not using massive amounts of wood (and electricity), but I am a believer now. I only used 1.1 oz. of wood for the burgers!!!!
Hey,JR here,
I don't get on the Forum much but have 2 106's. I will never have anything else. I can't figure out why anyone would ever want anything else. I work for Southwest Airlines and have a catering business on the side, so now you know why I don't have much time to get on the Forum.
This weekend I am cooking: 5 Brisket, 2 Butts, 3 Racks of Spare Ribs, 1 pork loin, 2 salmon, and about 50 or 60 chicken breast/thighs, for a little demo on Brining,Rubs,and Marinating at my church. I love cooking BBQ, but most of all I love to see people eating and enjoying themselves. I have been a member of the fourm since it's conseption and have learned more than I can tell you in this post. Okie,Stewart,Donna, and John Shiflett are tops in the business, and have alway treated me as if I was there best customer. For me that's what it's all about, Customer Service and a good product, Cook Shack has it all. Thank you Guys and all of you on the Fourm who have given me so much.
See Ya'll around the forum
Later JR
My name is Fred from Kansas City. I�ve been a 55 owner for about 2 months.
Cookshack and the Form are great!
Big Grin With the help of my Cookshack and the Form My Q keeps getting better, easier and Predictable. This is a great giving group of people.
I�ve been lurking, but plan to contribute to the form also.
This form is like a big barbecue revival where people spill the beans of their great barbecue secrets. Razzer
I'm CTSmoke. I'm a professional attorney and amateur magician and cook.

I'm also a Q'-o-holic.

I don't own a CS cooker yet, but I will soon. I've done barbecue on a lot of different rigs, and I'm looking forward to one that won't set my deck on fire or require me to forsake sweet, sweet sleep for fire tending duties.
Kid coulson is my name and 327 lbs is my game.
Yes, I like to eat.Brisket here in Grandville,MI
at bbq place is over 14bucks a pound.So about 2
months ago I ordered my own smoker(008).
Going pretty good,still learning.Not quite as
tasty as famous Daves,but Im in the ball park.
Good eats everyone!
Hi all. My name is Reid and I am originally from Philly and currently reside just outside of DC in Virginia. I have been grilling and smoking for 35+ years on everything from tire rims to TEC's to Brinkman's. I have had a 55 now for several months and love it... perfect Q, no hassle and to a certain degree fail safe.

I have done all the standard Q but have really been impressed by the lox I have been able to make with the cold smoking unit. It has been a great hit with the friends!

I fiddle with lots of things and enjoy wine, bourbon and Havana's. Great to be here!
I live in Joplin Missouri and have been q' ing for a while now for fun. during football season we tailgate at Pittsburg State University. (GO GORILLAS), but a couple of years ago my tailgating buddies and i decided to start cooking at contests. We have had a blast with it even though the first year we didn't do very well with a little practice and luck we have done pretty good this year. HOGMANBBQ
Hi, my name is Andy�from Salina, KS. I own a Cookshack Model 50, Traeger BBQ 150, Traeger BBQ124 , Southwest Smoker (made in Tulsa, OK) , 2 - Weber kettles and 1 - Weber gas grill.
This is just a hobby. I would like to attend the Cookshack cooking class this Fall and bring back a FE100 for my collection. (if I can convince my Wife I need another smoker between now and then). This forum is great!
Greetings all,
My name is Bob and I am Oklahoma born and bred. I have been slow smoking for the past 14 years. I started out on an offset then moved up to a SmokenTex (sorry) and just recently moved up again to a CookShack Model 55. I have not been able to see it yet but should be flying back home to the USA in a week�s time and can not wait to un-crate it and get to smoking on it.
This forum has taught me more about properly smoking all types of foods, selecting & preparing meats, rubs, selecting different wood types for different meats Etc..Etc... in a short time than I would have gained in a lifetime without it. This forum is also the main reason I chose to purchase a Cookshack. I have read nothing but great reviews from some great people.
I mostly Lurk to learn. I enjoy this forum tremendously and I would like to thank all the generous people that have taken the time to post their experiences and their helpful tips.
Dave Pasqualucci,
Live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Average snowfall of 180".
Am a Italian that makes his own Italian fresh sausage, also Hard Salami..Recipes that were brought back from Italy with my Grandfather.

Bought a CS 008, without my wifes knowing and naturally caught HELL until she tryed the ribs.

Now, "When are you going to make more ribs?"

Enjoy all the forums here on developing one's different methods.

Dave
Hi All,

I'm from Maryland, grew up in New York City. Maybe a weird combo to be into this hobby, but I have lots of different ones & am always trying something new. Been queing for 4 years, but not seriously until recently when I took the plunge & got a Smokette.

I am a homebrewer & what could be better than a homebrew with some pulled pork?

I roast my own coffee & fancy myself to be quite the cook.

I also am into Home Theater & any sort of A/V gear.

In other words - I like to spend money Smiler

This weekend I am cooking up my first full brisket. A ten pounder from a local butcher. It's been sitting in the fridge rubbed down & will be going into the smoker in about 6 hrs.

John
Howdy from the Texas Panhandle.

I have been a lurker for a few weeks now and due to the forum purchased a SM009. My father -in-law then gave me his ST cooker that is 5 years old. So now I have both smokers for side by side comparisons.

First smoke will be tomorrow with some Beef Ribs -- after looking at the forum this is not the choice, but for a first time, I would just as soon ruin the beef ribs as some good ole baby backs. Also, my neighbors freezer went out and the ribs were free. Using some hickory and apple wood.

Looking forward to many years of smokin with all you guys to help keep me doin it right. Great forum.

Kent
My name is Dan from Bloomington, IN. I am retired and enjoy cooking. Recently purchased an SM 008.

Have tried ribs and they came out well(according to wife and guests!). Trying chicken tonight. I appreciate all of the good tips on this forum. They really helped a lot.

Purchased my 008 with storage cart for $530 (including shipping) from America's best barbecue.com. Received it in 10 days. Quality is great. Easy to use and clean up.
Hello Everyone; I'm Dave. I lived in Alaska most of my adult life but didn't get the nickname "Whalebone" till I moved here, south western PA. Pulled a big old tree trunk out of the ground with my excavator, coworker says "hmm, looks like whalebone", so that was that. Married into a big Italian family that has made the transition from pasta to pork just fine.Thank You Cookshack form!!! Been using my 008 for a couple years now with fantastic results. Yes there was a learning curve but always able to eat my mistakes.I use an old offset sometimes,but 99% goes into my trusty 008. Ya just can"t beat it for consistant performance. Anyways, Thanks everyone for this great forum and thanks Cookshack for the great product!!!
Hello from Portland,
Home of all that is a: beaver, duck, trailblazer, salmon, volcano, river, bridge, coffee bean, hybrid car, tree hugger, democrat, and really amazing place to live , work, raise a family and BBQ your ass off. It's me lynnae and I guess I'm at the bottom of the list, that's ok better late then never, unless your eating some Q cause in my house there ain't gonna be any left if you is late...knowwhatI'msayin?
Anywho I am a relative newbie here to the site and to the smoking world in general, so a big ol thanks goes out for all the assistance, good advice and wealth of information you all provide! It takes a lot of work keeping this thing going so a big pat on the back to all! It's the best on the web!
peace out homies,
lynnae
Hello from Virginia,
I have been using the form for a while and just realized I jumped into smokin and never gave an intro. MY husband and I got a smokin Tex and love it. The best part has been the form here. Thank you all for your help along the way. I am glad that it doesn't matter what smoker you have on the form, because everyone has been so helpful. Thanks again and may I return the help one day. God bless you all and happy smokin. It is the only smokin you should do.
g'day.
you yanks really have a great tradition of smoking food. you all impressed me the first time i stumbled on this site. so much so i bought a cs 50! i don't use it much. it's sort of like a more expensive bbq that just sits there unfortunately.
anyway, my names pete, come from west of brisbane, like hunting, fishing, watching boxing, ring card girls and beeeeeerrrrr.
Howdy Pete,
Welcome .You know I gotta ask what is a ring card girl.?? If it is too racy send the explanation by private message or Smokin'Okie will skin me alive.. And I bet some others will suggest using your CS 50 more. You are lucky to live in Australia from what I have ever heard from anyone who has been there. Kathy
Hi, I'm Rick. I've wanted a smoker for some time. Thought that an offset was the way to go. When I saw the Smokette 008 at a local dealer and examined it carefully, I realized that it was perfection for my needs. More than adequate capacity for my family and extremely high quality and economical to use. The frosting on the cake was made in the USA. Better quality than Chinese ST and Americans keep their jobs. A winning product all the way around. I've had the unit for a week but have been very busy. I hope to season it Friday and do a pork butt on Saturday. These forums are such a great help. I'm looking forward to many, many years of smoking enjoyment! Thank you Cookshack for a great product!
Hi, I'm Paul. I've been on the forum for a couple of years, but I've mostly been a lurker. (I'm going to try to be more active.) I own several smokers and bought a Cookshack 55 two years ago for those times when I didn't have time to constantly tend the smoker. Needless to say, I have been very happy with the results. As an American manufacturer myself, it pleases me greatly to still see very well-made American products like Cookshack being sold at prices competitive to the imports. This excellent forum, Cookshack's commitment to expanding its home line, and its recent entry to the competitive cooker line shows that the company is in step with the needs of its customers. Whether you're new to smoking or on the competition circuit, this company has a smoker to fit your needs. Please support them and this forum, and please know that I am not affiliated with Cookshack in any way, shape, or form. It is simply my pleasure to endorse such fine products.
Hello all, Just joined after only 1 night of lurking. Seemed like a rather friendly place! My name is Mike and I am a Welder/Pipefitter in the oilfields of West Texas. Hence, as I have personally built every Q-ing contraption I own it caught my interest when I started hearing about the CS Smokette so I had to come check it out.
Now for the million dollar question. Are they really that good??? BOY, that ought to get some replies! LOL
anyway nice to say Howdy to you all. Take care and keep the smoke rising!!!!
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

And yes........they really are that good. Not that the other cookers of the world aren't any good.

Its just that a thermostaticaly controled element, no dampers to fool with, 1000 degree insulation, great moisture retention, no water pan required, and no more up all night tending the smoker make the CookShack THAT GOOD!

Have fun and join in!
hi, my name is brent and i'm an alcoholic... wait, wrong forum sorry!

i'm new at smoking. well, new at smoking meat anyway, been smoking cigs for 23 years! i just got one of those little coleman grills to attempt to learn to grill out some. as much as i tend to drink, i was afraid of getting a big grill.

i look forward to reading the recipes and attempting a bunch of them.

btw, i hope none of yall grill rice. man, i hate that stuff!

great forum! i look forward to friendly banter with fellow grillers!
hi my name is bob
from oceanside san diego califorina. been hot smokin for 30 some years in 55 gallion durms, webers, and now a 48 inch klose offset. as an old schooled type machinist my trade is all but gone to cnc and out of country. every year or two i find my self looking for a new job. at 50 years old and never worked in the foodservice arena i was just thinking about all the equty built up in this property - well you get the idea
Howdy Folks. I go by Lthaus. I live just North of Tulsa Oklahoma. I have been hanging out on another forum, but I will try to split my time here as there are MANY from Oklahoma on this one. I have a Chargriller with SideFireBox (SFB) I got it last month and have been working on learning the in's and out's of it.

I have read a few of the 5 pages on this thread and see many folks have a CS. I hope you don't eat strangers..

v.
Not sure if this post is still taking many newbies, but I'm James, from BC, Canada.

I love a good barbecue (especially ribs) though from what I see here, that would be more grilling, than smoking. I work full time as a web designer / PHP coder, and part-time / unpaid trying to promote my father-in-law's website.

And when I get the odd chance, I get in the kitchen, make some burgers, and stick'em on the grill, making my wife VERY happy.
Hi, They call me bbqbull. I live near Lansing Michigan and ive been into bbq for going on 9 yrs or more. I started out w/a CS Smokette in 99, did ribs/butts on my apt. balcony. I moved up in da world. Got a CS 150 headed this way. I also have a backyard Klose, as well as a big mobile Klose.
I plan on selling big mobile as its a real pain to cooking in the dead of winter.
Ive been lurking in the CS Formum hard for the last week or two. Not too many folks due BBQ in this neck of the woods, Some do but I call it grilling. Hope to meet some local CS owners in the Mid Michigan area.... Thanks for all you folks for taking time to post
Hello to the awesome Cookshack Nation! My name is Cayley Armstrong and I am the freshly acquired Marketing Coordinator for Cookshack. I have been "working" (is it really work if you love what you do?) here for about a month and I couldn't be happier! I am originally from a small town in Alberta, Canada (which would explain why I didn't know/like BBQ until I came here!), but am now a certified Okie. I recently graduated from Oklahoma State University, so I now bleed orange. I love reading all of your posts; you have given me a wealth of information and insight that no amount of research could have provided! I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
Hi all,My name is jim howard(jim) and I have been bbq'ing for a few years.started out with an old brinkman, and thought I could "q" until I bought a cs50 about a month ago.love that machine. I am from the springfield missouri area but have been living here in the n.w. corner of montana for the last 15 yrs.I don't post much,figure I learn more by reading
Hello all,
I have been a bad member and ask your forgiveness!! Have been so busy building my new Smoker (it's bigger, better, faster, shinier) that I haven't been sharing any of my special recipes. I have some really great ones that I think you may find interesting and although I am not a Cookshack owner ( I prefer to build my own cooking and smoking contraptions, being a welder/pipefitter) they should be very adaptable to the Cookshack Smokers. As I am slightly Toasted right now from Tending my new smoker all day on it's maiden voyage into cooking history I shall post the recipes and a few pics before the weekend is over. The baby backs and brisket are doing nicely in the horizontal section and the turkey is smoking nicely in the vertical section!!!! Opps, gotta go, time for a beer and Tequila run!!! LOL I shall be true to my word, count on it!!! Keep the smoke rising! Mike Hmmm..... On second thought maybe I should someone else on the run!!! Good idea, I'm glad you thought of that!! LOL
Hello all,
I just joined up today. I have been learning a great many things from just visiting this forum . after about a year of visiting I thought it was time I joined. I'm from St. Pete, Fl. for the last 20 some yrs. but I grew up in Southern Il. on a cattle farm.I grew up around smoking and never get tired of learning new things about Qing.Right now I smoke on a Spicewine smoker but have had a Lang and several others over the years.
Hi,
My 050 should arrive tomorrow! I have been reading a lot of the posts. (I guess that makes me a lurker)
I presently use traeger. Reading all the different problems people are asking about I am a bit concerned the 050 will not be as easy as I had hoped. I plan to dive right in and do a brisket if I can buy one from the local Safeway. (I live in a small town, One grocery store) No traffic problems though!
Rhino
Welcome to the forum Rhino,

Don't worry the 050 will perform just great for you.

Most people dont start out with briskets, but if you are already an experienced BBQer with your treager you should be ok.

Read Smokin's Brisket 101 located in his Barbecue guide at the top of the page. Then go to the Brisket archives.

Good luck!
Hey there. My name is George from Edmond, OK. I wore out several Brinkman electric smokers with the nasty water pan over 15 years...then started researching "real" electric smokers and decided on a Smokin Tex 1400 (Forgive me, Cookshack; I promise the next one will come from Ponca City!) It is great to let the smoker do the work...When I get the urge to peek, I just glance at the Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer.
Thanks for a great open forum.

LL
Hello. I live in Aurora, CO. I was visiting a friend in Dallas last week and he prepared a mess of ribs in his SM008. They were so great that I was convinced that I needed a smoker and ordered a SM008 as soon as I got home. I have been looking through the forum and have picked up many great tips. I am looking forward to receiving the smoker so I can try out some of the great recipes I have found here. It is great to find a site like this where I can count on getting answers to the many questions I am sure I will have.
Another ST owner checking in from Louisville, KY. First heard about electric smokers from an FAA instructor in OKC and that is the one he was using, thus the one I purchased. I had been smoking on weber h20 smokers for about 8 years, three years ago I finally bought an offset smoker, last year got my ST. Anyone want to buy an offset smoker? Seriously, great forum, it has been very helpful to me. Did you realize that this thread is five years old?!
Hi,
I am Dave from Hawthorne Nevada 'America's Patriotic Home'. I learned about CookShack in Reno at the annual Safari Club International convention a couple of years ago. Each year I would stop by the booth, and purchase a couple bottles of spicy sauce, and try the samples. I was using a Traeger BBQ pig. It works fine for burgers, and a turkey once and a while. I bought my 050 a week ago, and tried a couple of pork butts. WOW is the only fitting comment! I am hooked on the forum! I wish I could have a 050 in Africa. (we go every year) I would like to try it on a wort Hog. Thanks CookShack!
Rhino
quote:
Originally posted by twofer:
[qb] Did you realize that this thread is five years old?! [/qb]
Well, first post was Oct 14, 2001, but 4 years is a long time.

Have several 100 posters, maybe they're what we'll call the Hard Core Forum Members since they posted.

Yeah, a lot has passed through this forum in that time.

Thanks for joining!
Hi there
We are in East Tennessee and just finished our first year of competition cooking. Entered about eight cook-offs,not as many as others,but enough to learn one thing: I'M TO **** OLD TO STAY UP ALL NIGHT! After much thought,research,and discussion just "pulled the trigger" on a FE100 that should be here in a few weeks. There, I said it, joining the pellet heads. Do have some concern about the learning curve from stick burner to FE. Will be a class in Ponca City 12/2. Any help will be appreciated!
Hi All, I am Tim and I live in Melbourne Florida, What a great forum, glad I stumbled onto it researching Q devices, been a grillin and a chillin for a while .... have always wanted to try real Q. Don't really know a lot about it so I have really enjoyed reading this forum. A big "THANK YOU" to you old timers and all the posts!!!. Don't have a CS yet, not sure which one to get. looking at a 150 or the new Amerique. Can anyone tell me the differences (besides the cost) would I be better off with on or the other?
Thanks!
Tim Razzer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.