Skip to main content

Hey everyone!!

I've gotta say, after creeping the forum for product reviews, pics and help in deciding which smoker to get, you all swayed me. My AQ is on route to Toronto and I can't wait to get smokin'!

Im thinking for the first smoke,after seasoning of course, doing 4 pork butts. Is that a bit aggressive for the first shot?

Cheers and a preemptive HEY to you all!!
I'm 59 (today) and fired up my first pure smoker today. The outcome was outstanding.

quote:
Originally posted by Poochie:
Got my 020 yesterday for my birthday. Have a butt on it as we speak. I've had the Egg, offset smokers, barrell pit, stainless steel propane smoker, Weber performer and so on.

I used to sell BBQ at fairs and festivals in this area. If I would have had a Cookshack back then, life would have been so much easier.

Since I'm probably one of the oldest on here (55) I still realize I can learn from the accumulated experience on this forum.

Patience and a remote meat thermometer will get you through a lot of BBQ problems.
I used to smoke stuff on my grill this way. I found the following helps:
- 'Seal' the cracks around your grill's hinges and cracks with foil to help retain heat and smoke. Better yet, if you can get a 'welders blanket', which is fireproof, you can lay it over grill to help seal it.
- The little metal smoker boxes are OK, but I fond using wood chips wrapped in foil to be more effective.

I used to do some fantastic baby backs this way - just keep temp low and slow !

quote:
Originally posted by jackdsmoker:
This Brinkman is a grill, but am going to be using one of those small cast iron wood chip boxes placed under the grill right on top of the end burner. It also has a 5th burner "searing" area, not sure why that's needed, but I'll try anything once! Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Did you get a smoker or a grill?
If I cover the whole thing up, where does the smoke escape from? I know there has to be somewhere for it to eventually leak out, right? Going to be nice this weekensd, so the Saturday I go in before lung cancer surgery, we are going to try and ask the butcher at the store what is the best cut to smoke for my first time? Wish me luck!

Jack
quote:
Originally posted by astronorick:
Exactly ! I was going to sugest harbor freight, which is where I got one. Really helps in breezy weather also.

quote:
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll have to look into one of those welders blankets, are they kinda spendy?

Would this work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6...g-blanket-95015.html

Jack
Jack - don't worry about the smoke escaping - it will find it's way out - even through the welding blanket. The blanket will be well smoked too, but don't eat it. For your first smoke, a Boston Butt (pork shoulder) can be awesome - it's a very forgiving piece of meat. Smoke it around 225 degrees temp - will take about 12 hours or so. Your looking for an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Typically, you'll find it hit's the 170 degree mark in 6 to 8 hours, than 'stalls'. The meat will stay at that temp for hours, while the fat and connective tissue are breaking down. Then the temp will slowly start to rise again, which you'll want to watch for the 195 degree internal temp mark. Then remove the butt, wrap tightly in foil, and over with towels in a dry cooler for at least an hour, or maybe 2. It will still be way hot, but moist and easy to pull apart !
quote:
If I cover the whole thing up, where does the smoke escape from? I know there has to be somewhere for it to eventually leak out, right? Going to be nice this weekensd, so the Saturday I go in before lung cancer surgery, we are going to try and ask the butcher at the store what is the best cut to smoke for my first time? Wish me luck!

Jack
quote:
Originally posted by astronorick:
Exactly ! I was going to sugest harbor freight, which is where I got one. Really helps in breezy weather also.

quote:
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll have to look into one of those welders blankets, are they kinda spendy?

Would this work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6...g-blanket-95015.html

Jack
First of all, welcome. I'd like to add one more thing. If u cook the butt to 195 it will be ready to pull as soon as its cool enough to handle it. The reason you would FTC it (foil, towel, cooler) is if you were not ready to eat and you want it to stay hot. If you want bark I would suggest not foiling it, as the steam softens the bark if I ha e to foil it.

Just my experience.
Thanks for the info again! The widfe just did a pork shoulder in her crock pot just last week, so was thinking more along the beef/roast line. Really looking forward to seeing that "smoke ring" like I always see on those PitMaster shows on tv.

I was thinking like maybe a chuck or ?, 3 to 5 pounds just to start with, and splash with worchester sauce and then rub some old store bought "Grill Creations Steak Dust" on it.

I will pick up the welding blanket today, that sounds like a great tip! Might be tough to hold off eating that too, but I'll do my best! Confused

Any wood type suggestions? I think right now I have apple and mesquite in the garage. Maybe a mix?

Always open for suggestions!

Thanks again for all your help!
Thanks Vicki, always open for any suggestions, and thanks for the "welcome" too!

Oh, this is what I woke up to this morning! Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
First of all, welcome. I'd like to add one more thing. If u cook the butt to 195 it will be ready to pull as soon as its cool enough to handle it. The reason you would FTC it (foil, towel, cooler) is if you were not ready to eat and you want it to stay hot. If you want bark I would suggest not foiling it, as the steam softens the bark if I ha e to foil it.

Just my experience.
Last edited by jackdsmoker
Wasn't that long ago it was like that here in New Jersey. I bet a chuck roast would be yummy! I have never tried it. I think I just found my next smoke. I need to find some posts on here for that. As far as the smoked pork in crock vs smoker, big difference in flavors, depending on how u sauce it or not.

Going forward, Im guessing Smokin would appreciate a new thread in the proper section. Let me know if you find any good chuck info before I do.

Vicki
quote:
Thanks for the info again! The widfe just did a pork shoulder in her crock pot just last week, so was thinking more along the beef/roast line. Really looking forward to seeing that "smoke ring" like I always see on those PitMaster shows on tv.

I was thinking like maybe a chuck or ?, 3 to 5 pounds just to start with, and splash with worchester sauce and then rub some old store bought "Grill Creations Steak Dust" on it.

I will pick up the welding blanket today, that sounds like a great tip! Might be tough to hold off eating that too, but I'll do my best! Confused

Any wood type suggestions? I think right now I have apple and mesquite in the garage. Maybe a mix?

You can try some Chuckies. Those are quite tasty and pretty easy to do.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...=960100274#960100274
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1020264/m/7062943517
Picked up a round bottom round roast today and am going to give my first try at smoking this Saturday. But did save the link to those Chuckies, will try nezt time, they look awesome!

Thanks again for your tips!

Jack

quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
quote:

You can try some Chuckies. Those are quite tasty and pretty easy to do.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...=960100274#960100274
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1020264/m/7062943517
Last edited by jackdsmoker
New Cookshack SM025 owner here in Wyoming. I've already had great luck with spare ribs and I've posted a pic yesterday of my brisket in the Open Forum. Though I've been smoking for over five years, I'm happy as can be with my early results with my new smoker! The wind is howlin' today, nothing new to this neck of the woods. Will be interesting to see how or if the wind affects my upcoming smokes.

Take care.
Age doesn't lessen the desire for real smoked meats. I'm 77 and just replaced the thermostat on my 11 year old 008, starting about 10 PM I smoke cooked a brisket for 15 hrs. @ 225 then went to 150 to hold until my Father's Day early dinner. Used about 2oz. hickory and a competition rub. Everyone that tasted the brisket said it was better than any of the local joints sell. I've always called the CS my "Magic Box" because that's what it does; perform magic on meats. Most of the cooking time was spent sleeping and regular Sunday morning activities. No standing over the pit with the CS.
Been reading the forum for a week, but this is my first time posting. Why Tally Torch? I live in Tallahassee, FL, and years ago, I started a small brush fire (but on an military base)so some of my buddies started calling me torch. So, I thought it might be appropriate for my smoker nickname.
Unpaid? Of course! You mean some people get paid for this?
Anyway, just posted on the open forum asking for critiques and advice on a turkey smoking test I tried yesterday on my new CS 25. Title is "Turkey Smoking Critique". Appreciate any and all critiques.
After lurking a few days thought i would join and introduce my self. I'm 44 and 2 months ago I sold my lawn and landscape business I owned for the past 14 years in Florida and decided to give my passion for cooking a shot and try and make aliving at it. I bought food trailer that was built, passed inspections and in service with the last owner the only thing missing is a smoker that I plan on installing inside. The trailer is already equipt with a commercial hood system so smoke exhaust is not a problem. I have been searching craigslist like a hawk trying to find my first cookshack smoker. After watching multiple videos on youtube I really like the fast eddy fec 100 but I'm open to other models as well. If anyone on here is considering selling theres or you come accross one for sale, please let me know. I look forward to being a member here and contributing to the forum for many years to come.
Best Regards
Art
They call me Flatlander and I'm a newbe on here. I had been smoking with a tin can "Old Smokie" for years but it's about shot so I purchased a SM45. The 45 is like a Ferrari compared to the VW I been smoking on. Haven't used it yet getting a custom made cover for it can't wait though. It looks like it's built like a tank and will outlast me I'm sure!!!
Smokeeater here, and as the name suggests, I love smoked foods. The name comes from my occupation though, I'm a career firefighter. Most of my meals here at the firestation come from my cookshack. The boys love it!! The best is when citizens come into the station and we hear them say "smells like somethings on fire" we just say "thats just our supper!" Love the forum, tons of great advice...
FLSmoker - Jon

Broke down and ordered the SM066 last night with a lot of accessories. I'm currently in Alaska getting ready to head back to FL with 200 pounds of fish fillets; halibut, ling cod, yellow eye and salmon all frozen in the hotel freezer. I can't wait to try Mr. T's recipe for the salmon. But I read that it's not recommended for halibut. Does anyone have any good recipes for smoked halibut?

Jon H
Estero, FL
I have 2 guys that deal lumberjack pellets within 15 minutes of me..and from what I read they are the catz meow and thats what I will be burning! I work at a john deere dealership and we deliver a lot of parts to one of the dealers, he runs a rental shop, so I just have to have our delivery driver pick them up. Dirty Herman where in da north were ya?
Last edited by kirb4020
After a year and a half of lurking on this forum, debating which brand of smoker to buy, I finally took the plunge and bought myself an AmeriQue. I'm kicking myself for not buying it while I lived in Oklahoma since the shipping alone to Alaska was over half a grand. Though I'm completely new to this style of smoking, I'm looking forward to getting started and learning from all the experts on here!
Howdy folks. I just found this forum recently but have been debating an electric smoker for about a year now. Last year just after Thanksgiving I had a visit with my dermatologist and we were talking about turkeys. I said I normally fry mine, as I did that year. He mentioned that he had recently acquired a Smokin Tex and smoked his. He went on to praise how easy and effortless it was to get great results. It got me to thinking about smoking again. I hadn't done it for years and it was my method of choice for turkeys but I just grew weary of the constant care and feeding of the old Brinkman charcoal smoker.

I've been researching the electrics for the past year and was looking at either the Smokin Tex or Cookshack. The lower price of the ST almost had me but it seems as though most comments favor the CS even if it is a little more spendy. Well, I just pulled the trigger on an SM025 yesterday. Ordered a seafood grill and some other wood. Can't wait for it to show up so I can give it a shot. Been reading through a lot of the information here and not really sure what I'm going to try first. I do predict that this thing is going to get a lot of use and will be well worth the outlay. I was concerned a bit about the size but in retrospect I really don't see myself doing huge volumes of meat in the thing. Time will tell as they say.
Welcome Mike and welcome to the world of electric smokers and CS

It is important to season your new smoker once you get it and there should be instructions in your manual what Cookshack recommends.

There are many kinds of wood choices for your smoker but I would recommend using only chunks of wood and not chips

There are many people here that will answer questions and if you happen to call Cookshack for support ask for Tony or Bill.

Welcome to the family !
Thanks for the welcome guys. I received my smoker Halloween and seasoned it that night. Got it setup in a cabinet (pic is posted in the Show Us Your Smoker Setup thread) and smoked a couple racks of pork ribs Saturday night. They were a hit with the family and were damn tasty. Easiest job ever cooking something in a smoker. Will be doing a whole chicken Sunday. I really like this thing.
I am Idaho Mike, and as the name implies I am Mike from Nampa, Idaho. I am about 30 miles from the Capital of Boise. I am a retired Firefighter/Advanced EMT. Hobbies include building fishing rods, shooting, and running my 2 Cookshack smokers. I have an older 09, and a 045. I have been on the forum for a fairly long time, but don't write much. I am coming into my smoking season. I will be doing around 50 pounds of smoked cheese, 2 to 3 whole turkeys, 2 turkey breasts, 3 Briskets, Summer Sausage, a prime rib, and a bunch of Salmon. Between this forum, and trial and error I have learned to do fairly well with the Smokers.
Hello, from the DC area; my name is Drew, I'm in the Coast Guard, and I'm currently riding a desk at CG HQ.
Got my Smokette Elite two weeks ago, and so far I've made some ribs, a Boston Butt and currently have a small brisket smoking in it's 10th hour. I am enjoying this little smoker tremendously-I've wanted one for 15 years, or so, and plan on using it quite a bit.
The wife fought me on getting the Smokette...until she ate the pulled pork I made. Since then, she's been super-supportive (go figure). Smiler
Welcome to all the new members. I hope you enjoy your smokers as much as I have over the years. It might be a good time to mention a couple of things about living with these smokers.

I don't know if it holds true with the newer 09 models or not, but do know the 025 and the 045 models have a temp. probe that is about 1" long. It is located on the back wall and protrudes into the smoker. Take care to keep any meat clear of this probe. It is there to measure the temperatures inside the smoker, and if it gets buried inside a brisket (don't ask me how I know), it will be measuring the temp of the meat, and not the smoker.

These units have a preset 30 minute start up cycle. The first 30 minutes they are on, they will run at max. temperature. This is supposed to get the smoker temps up, and get the smoke rolling. Every time you shut the unit down and then restart it, It will go into this start up mode.

Finally there may be a "Big Bang" with these units. I never had it with my old 09, but when I got my 045 just before Thanksgiving, the first thing I smoked in it was the Turkey. I started it Early in the morning, and came in for my first cup of coffee. About 45 minutes into the smoke there was a large explosion, or "Big Bang". Every dog in the neighborhood started barking. My wife came out wanting to know what I had done. I was trying to get out to the smoker with visions of seeing my new smoker blown apart, and covered in turkey pieces parts. The smoker looked fine, and when I opened the door the turkey was fine. I continued the smoke and had a couple of smaller bangs. The next day I put a square on my smoker inside and out, and came way with a new appreciation for the quality of the cook shack smokers. There are a number of theories about what causes the "Big Bang". As a Firefighter, I know it was a "Smoke explosion", or "Back draft". I may have caused this by loading the wood box, believe me when I say that there are times when more isn't better, and in these smokers, it really holds true with the amount of wood you put in them.
Hello all,

I am glad to see that there is a welcome forum to allow us new-bees or new-bbq'ees a way to introduce ourselves and start adding to the conversations.

I recently acquired an older cookshack model 008 (Mfg. 1/2000). I have used it a few times but still haven't figured it all out yet. Although I had success with my first shoulder for pulled pork I am still trying to find the temperature setting and where they are with respect to the primitive temp dial on the oven. Today I fired it up and put some temperature probes in it and loaded it with an old dumbell weight made of steel (10 lbs) to try and see how well the oven performs. So far it's been about 3 hours and I'm not sure if what I am seeing is OK or not. So at 3 hrs the temperature while the dial is turned up as far as it can go is only 229°. I'm going to give it a little longer but I'm wondering if what I am finding is typical. For the record, I'm using 3 probes put through a small potato suspending them off the grates, I have that in the middle of the box and under the potato is the round dumbell with a hole in the center for the bar it would be used with. Under the weight is an aluminum pan out of my toaster oven to catch any dripping potato juices. I also confirmed the temperature reading by opening the door and used an infrared temperature meter. The three readings were within a few degrees of each other so I think I'm right about the temperature.

So, any thoughts about what I am dealing with would be very welcome. I would be interested in knowing more about where I should place the probes and if I am better off without the steel mass.

Thanks......
Little White Dory....
Little White Dory,

Welcome to the forum. One of the first things you should do is find and read the 101's. I have a 09 model that is about the same age as your 08. I would have to go outside, and look but it is snowing and around 13 degrees, so I will have to go by memory. The dial on your 08 should go from 140 degrees to 250 degrees. From what I am understanding, you are trying to figure out the temperature inside this unit. You have your probes in potatoes, and after 3 hours on high they are at 229 degrees. I would say this unit is working perfectly. I fully understand what you are trying to do by adding a heat load to the 08. I may be wrong, but I think the potatoes are working as "heat sinks". You are measuring the internal temperature of the potato, and not the temperature inside the smoker. These units are basically ovens. They will keep the temperature at what ever you set. It doesn't matter if you have the unit full, or empty. They will maintain 250 degrees if that is what you set. The great thing in your email is you have heat probes, and will be able to keep track of internal temps. Take good notes on your cooks, from the rub to the amount of wood, start time, and internal temp., all the way through the cook. You will eventually get a feel for when things will be done. Welcome to the world of "Low and slow" cooking, and "It ain't done until it is done"
Hey Mike, thanks for the quick response. I have read the 101's and they are great. The potato was just a sacrificial probe holder! I pushed the probes all the way though so that they could be suspended above any metal that they could come in contact with so as to try and get the "air" temperature inside the box. Part of my objective was to see if the temp varied much within the space inside the box, top,middle, or bottom.... so far it seems consistent with maybe the exception of right above the wood box/heating element.

I let it go for another hour and gave the potentiometer a few spins to clear any old carbon that may have built up on it. It did go up to 240° and then I called it a day. What I was wondering is whether it was a lag or if the oven may have had a heating element that wasn't up to snuff. I also wasn't sure if the 10 lb mass was what could have kept it from hitting the 250° temperature that the dial max shows (I think your right about the range).

Tomorrow I plan on giving another chunk of pork a run for the money and see how the temps behave. I set it for 225° last time and it did the job but was flying blind without temperature probes so I just crossed my fingers and went with the odds that it was working and reasonably accurate. I guess it was! So, now that hat I have probes any thoughts on where and how to set up one to monitor the internal oven temp? Above, below, left, right side any recommendations on a best placement for the oven temp?

Sorry about the weather you guys are having, we are supposed to get cooler too, but I'm along the shore and the Atlantic does a great job of moderating the temps for us here on Long Island. Do you notice a harder time reaching temperature when it's in the low teens to twenties in Idaho?

Thanks again,
LWD...
When I first got my 055 (same temp range and dial) I put a probe in it and did the same test while set at 225. The temps went from 185 to 265 several times. Average = 225. And after that I quit even thinking about it.

As many here will say: "Don't over think it... Just go cook something". The results are what count.
Littlewhitedory:

I think your smoker is working fine. I guess what I was trying to say is: "These are ovens. You don't need to put the heat sinks in. They will cycle on and off, and go up and down in temp., but it all averages out". I know some of the people have mapped out where the hot and cold spots are in their smoker. Believe me, I have over loaded both my 09, and 045. They cooked fine from top to bottom. I could have moved racks around but never needed to.

I have never had a problem smoking in cold weather. It does take a little longer to get the smoker up to temp., but this just keeps the product in the smoke longer. The big problem I have is trying to cold smoke when it is 100 degrees out.

Go cook something, and stop worrying about it. You have a good smoker that has lots of support both on this forum, and at the factory.
Ok, so you had a swing in temperature; that's why I choose to use the "Heat Sink" as you call it. I choose to use the steel mass to avoid the swing and wanted to see if there was still a swing with a load. I didn't experience any swing in temperature and I believe it may have been because of the mass I used. All in all I would have liked to see it hit 250° and ideally hold it.

Starting at about 4:30 Saturday morning I plan on trying out a new rub and If all goes according to plan I will be pulling my pork by dinner time. As of now the only regret is I am using cherry chips and not chunks. I am sure somewhere here there is feedback on chips vs chunks but I will have to look into it later.

Again, thanks for the suggestions....I will report back Sunday sometime!

LWD
Smokin, I am sorry, but I don't know how to start a new thread so that LWD, could see it. he asked if the Cook Shake smokers worked in the cold. I fired up the 045 this afternoon. It was 18 degrees out side. 30 minutes in to the smoke, and it was 149 degrees, 1 hour and the smoker was up to the set 200 degrees, and has maintained this since even though the outside temps are going down. Yea, they work in the COLD.
Howdy all y'all! Smiler I just received my new Amerique today and am in the process of seasoning it now. I've been smoking "Q" for a long time on a Weber bullet and Traeger Texas 075. I sold the Traeger and used the proceeds plus a few extra $ to get my Cookshack.
I have been using a friends old Smokette and have been happy with the stuff I've smoked in it.
Hi everybody! I'm porkporkpork! (kinda sums up my primary reason for smoking). For a living, I manage a team of techie geeks like myself at a company that sells stuff online.

Just like Steppy, I received my new Amerique today - I got a sweet deal on a refurb unit thanks to this very forum's advice to call CS directly and ask about it (you've been helpful already). I just finished seasoning her & rolling her into the garage for the night. Too bad it gets dark so early this time of year, I could have stood & admired her for a while longer, she's so purty.

Been Q'ing for several years now, my MES finally succumbed to the elements. I don't think it was built to last forever, but it was a good little smoker for what I paid & it turned out a lot of tasty ribs, butts, jerky & fish, so no complaints.

I'm looking forward to more pork & beef delectables and trying my hand at fowl & cheese (not at the same time tho). From lurking, this looks like a great bunch of helpful folks, so I'm looking forward to putting the collective knowledge here to great culinary use.
PPP,

Sorry for the abbreviation. You won't regret your purchase of the AQ. My advice (as posted earlier) is to season it well and then utilize a few well-placed probes in your oven to check where your hotter and cooler spots are before you do any large cooks. Just so you know where to place stuff for your best and most repeatable temperatures. The AQ is a GREAT smoker, just get to know her a little and you'll have the easiest and best Q you've ever done. Temperature maintenance will not be a problem. The internal probe CS gives you is pretty accurate, but it only tells you the doneness of the specific location where you have placed it. As many good cooks here have said, use it as a guide and then check when it gets close by other means, depending on the cut of meat, fish, etc. I have had great luck with my AQ with PBs, ribs, beef plate short ribs (my favorite), salmon, and brisket. Good luck!
Hello all, and thank you for such a great site. I am a self confessed foodie. I smoke, BBQ, and grill. I currently have four different units on the back porch and in my yard no sorry five counting drum cooker. I was introduced to CS by a couple of guys on a fishing site I belong too. I raise a steer and a couple of pigs every year to help feed my addiction and for dinners. Any ways I am ready to take the cook Shack plunge. So I thought what the heck I`ll check my local Craigs List, well whata know up pops a CS 1000, he says he purchased it new 4yrs ago and has used it very little. the pictures look really good except for the lid on the hopper is warped he claims it was done by the heat. My questions are is that normal and if so is there a fix? Also is there a big difference in the 1000 and the new PG 1000 I see advertised. Here is the manufacture date and serial # of the unit. serial is pc1006 date of mfr is 8-17-10. I can share the link to the add if that's permitted or if you guys would like. He is asking 1.275 for the unit which seems like a smoking deal to me any thoughts? And thanks in advance, I look forward being an active part of this group.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • cookshack
Not new to smoking, but, new to the cookshack. I had a masterbuilt setup with the external smoke generator. I got a SM 45, which is clearly built better. Keeps the temp up better than my old setup. Just read on here about the heat sink idea, will throw a 5 or 10 pound iron weight in next time I smoke something. Have had a decent amount of success with this unit after receiving for xmas. Was a little bit of a learning curve due to where the temp probes are supposed to be run. Since then I put them through the door as it was more conducive to removing and wrapping. After that adjustment it has gone well.

Look forward to learning and contributing.
chudzikb: First welcome to the group, and congratulations on the new 045. I have had one for 4 years or so, and before that a 009. run your temp. probes through the vent hole on top of the unit. I used to run my probes through the door, and had to replace the probes about 3 or 4 times a year. Once I started running them through the top vent, I haven't replaced a probe. There were a couple of things about the 045 that bit me in the rear, or were just different about these units. The first is the preset start up temp. These units run on high for the first 30 minutes, and then go the temp. you set. If you turn the smoker off, or loose power, and then turn it back on, it will go into start up mode again. There is a small tube on the back inside wall of your unit. This is part of the smoker thermostat. When you are loading your smoker keep what ever product you are loading away from this probe. Don't ask me how I know this, but if that tube gets stuck into a brisket, it reads the temp. of the meat, and not the smoker. Do a search for "big bang" on this site. They can happen with these units, and they can be real exciting the first time they happen to you.
IM, I have considered the issue with the probes and the door, but, have not figured out how to get around the problem without running through the door yet? On things I do not wrap, no issues will run through the top. But, when wires are all messed up when removing, led to disaster in the middle of the night. Maybe the longer 6 foot wire would make it work, got that on a replacement probe, will try that next time I do pork.
I have been smoking for the last 5 years with a Brinkman Cimarron offset smoker, and slowly improving. I added a Rocks stoker kit to my cast iron beast which makes temp control almost as easy as using an electric smoker. Ribs, turkey, brisket, pulled pork, etc. have been terrific. Recently, while trying to keep my smoker fed, I decided to learn about making sausage. I have a K/A with the grinder,stuffer attachment. After a couple of aborted attempts, I found a couple of sausage forums and starting reading. Long story short, I now have a LEM meat grinder, and a LEM 5 lb. vertical stuffer. With these two tools, making sausage is much easier and faster. I came to realize that my cast iron smoker was very temperamental at maintaining the low temps that are required for sausage making. More reading and finally ordered a Cookshack Elite on Saturday. Awaiting its arrival.
Genthar:

Welcome to the forum.

If you just ordered your 025, and it hasn't shipped yet, you might want to think about calling Cookshack and see what they would charge to switch out the standard cooking grates for stainless steel grates. you might think about getting the side racks with the extra slots in them, and enough stainless grates for the slots. Yes you will have to pay for the changes, but in the end it could save you a bunch of money. When I got my 045 I think the change from the standard chromed cooking grates to the stainless steel grates was a difference of 5 or 10 dollars. These same stainless grates are $55.00 a grate to buy outright.

Read the sticky about Lessons for new users: http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1028883/m/3351032983 . It makes a fairly steep learning curve a lot less steep. These things are joy to use and are pretty much set them and forget them.
Thanks for the welcome Sarge and Mike!

Ooh...thanks for the advice on swapping to the SS Grates. I'll give them a call on Monday.

I've been skimming through the lessons thread, as well as reading Smokin' Okies "101" recipes as well.

Really looking forward to getting started with the smoker.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
Genthar:

Welcome to the forum.

If you just ordered your 025, and it hasn't shipped yet, you might want to think about calling Cookshack and see what they would charge to switch out the standard cooking grates for stainless steel grates. you might think about getting the side racks with the extra slots in them, and enough stainless grates for the slots. Yes you will have to pay for the changes, but in the end it could save you a bunch of money. When I got my 045 I think the change from the standard chromed cooking grates to the stainless steel grates was a difference of 5 or 10 dollars. These same stainless grates are $55.00 a grate to buy outright.

Read the sticky about Lessons for new users: http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1028883/m/3351032983 . It makes a fairly steep learning curve a lot less steep. These things are joy to use and are pretty much set them and forget them.
I'm Scott Adams and my home is in Victoria, BC. I've recently quit/retired from my work... Doing a little consulting and dabbling now in my long-time love of BBQ. I had been persuaded that in order to do it correctly, I'd need to upgrade... And by saying 'it', I mean a little catering. I bought a FEC120 from the Canadian Distributor who lives right here in the same neck of the woods. I visited Hans and got to touch the are unit I ended up buying. My wife and I are doing our son's wedding food... There will be 140 folks. I've served 180, so this will be fine. Turkey, pulled pork, beans... Cornbread. Should be fine. So now, I'm learning to use my big, new toy. Did a turkey for my dragon boat racing teammates and it was fantastic. Any great tips from y'all?... On anything FEC120 related? I do wonder, is there any cold smoke option with this rig?
So, the inaugural run I did pulled pork using the techniques I read on these forums, as well as Smokin' Okie's finishing sauce, and my own bbq sauce, and the results were absolutely fantastic! Everything worked to a "T". The only thing I would change is to spray down the racks with some non-stick before starting, but that's it. I'll be repeating this process for the 4th. Thanks to everyone for the advice, and to CS for an awesome smoker!
Hi. My name is Wade and I am from the UK. I have been smoking on a range of smaller smokers for many years but am now tuning it into a retirement business. To smoke in "bulk" I have recently purchased an FEC-120. I hot smoke the usual - pulled pork, brisket, ribs, chicken, fatties etc - and I also do a lot of cold smoking (fish and cheese) and I cure a lot of meat. I am hoping to benefit from the wealth of expertise on the forum here as I start to get my new smoker into production.
Hi All

New to the forum. First let me say I've been wanting an fec 100 for years. Received it Tuesday 21st. What to season it with? Saturday morning went to the meat market got 2 butts, 9 baby backs. Back to the house 1 pm fired up the 100, while it was coming up to temp seasoned the meat, 2 pm meat in. Put the butts on bottom three rib laying flat per rack for the last three racks. Ribs off in 4 hrs. Butt off Sunday 8:30 am. Ribs come off perfect with just a little meat clinging to the bone and tender. smoke could have been a little heavier for me but everybody said it was fine to them not to heavy or light. I think next time I will extend the smoke time and maybe add some mesquite. The butts ended up with black bark all around. Pulled the bone straight out with no effort at all and the meat melts in your mouth. What else could you ask for on the first run. The best thing is I got to sleep all night and not one time got up to check the fire. Now that was different for me. Funny what a man will spend to get a night sleep. The fec 100 is all its hyped up to be and more.

Over and out
Old Man Smoking
Just browsing after ordering a SMO25 from cookshack (due 8-4). After many years of bbq on Weber grills and smoking on a Weber water smoker, it's time for something easier which, after reading posts from this forum (among others) the 025 should do.
I'll be monitoring this site closely and welcome any advice from all those who've "been there; done that".
Welcome to the group dschaef. You will love the SM025. They are a little different than you are used to. The top 3 things that bit me in the rear when I got my 045 were the start up mode, The heat sensor, and the amount of wood needed. These smokers have a pre-programed start mode. It doesn't matter what temp you program in to the smoker, for the first 30 minutes the smoker runs at 300 degrees. If you turn the unit off, or lose power, when you start it back up, it goes into the start mode. If you look at the inside back wall of the smoker you will see a small metal tube that sticks into the smoker several inches. This is the thermometer for the smoker temperature. Make sure that when you load the smoker to keep what ever the product is away from this sensor. These smokers are very stingy on wood. 2 to 6 oz. per smoke. Don't soak the wood. Do a search on here for "Big Bang". They can be very exciting the first time it happens. Let us know where you are located.
Thank You Idaho Mike for the "HEADS UP" on three issues unique to electric smokers (I probably would have
learned eventually via "school of hard knocks" but thanks to you (and people like you) a lot of frustration is avoided.
This is definitely going to be different than what I'm used to!
BTW, I'm located in Wisconsin so the SMO25 is in for a lot of cold weather smoking. The switch to electric came about when we converted our breezeway to a sheltered outdoor kitchen (formally housed a fishing boat which I'm now too old to use).

Regarding the 300 deg start-up; wait until the smoker stabilizes to the set temp. before adding meat?
dschaef: I have done it both ways. I don't know that it makes a lot of difference one way or the other. You will really like using these smokers in the cold. I have used mine in below 0 weather, and they have run just fine. Set them and forget them. I have several of the remote read thermometers, and it is really nice sitting in the house and knowing what is happening in the smoker. Some of the new ones work with smart phones. I haven't tried them since I am not smart enough for a smart phone.
quote:
Originally posted by dschaef:
BTW, I'm located in Wisconsin so the SMO25 is in for a lot of cold weather smoking.

The SM025 will do just fine. I had an SM020, cooked through blizzards, below zero temps, rain, sleet, snow, you name it. Never a hiccup. In the winter it'll just take a little longer to get up to temp.

Welcome to the forum.

Howdy Ed Clay currently residing in Saint Augustine Florida,
I have been makin Barbecue for to long to remember, My first cooker was R2 D2 thought I went big time back in the day when I got a SNPP , I cook for parties and crowds in my Big Jim Lazy Q offset it runs propane , coals or wood, I added a stainless steel tray at the bottom in order to Direct Q. I recently aquired a SM 009 from a friend who is scrapper, I paid all of $25 for it brought it home cleaned it up and it works just fine. It is the older model with the knob not digital but it does a very nice job smoking.

Merry Christmas everyone Smiler
Hi all, joined this forum yesterday after placing our SM025 order in. Live in downtown Indianapolis now. Made in the USA brought me here for an electric smoker. I am new to smoking though I've lived in Kansas City, Durham North Carolina and Austin Texas in the past. Looking forward to finally not depending on someone else for my que! -Alex

PS got a call from FedEx this morning they are delivering tomorrow! Wow! That was fast! Delivery is Jan 12!
Last edited by aspexil
Had never heard of a Cookshack until some friends on a bourbon board started talking about theirs. What a rabbit hole I found myself going down. Stalked Craigslist for a few months and found a good deal on a SM025 and pulled the trigger immediately. When I say it is the best thing I've bought in years, I mean it. Love it. Even got my Dad who is a BGE warhorse on the path to ownership.

If any of you find yourself in the Napa area, please let me know.
Greetings all,
Biggz here... Been smoking stuff for years in everything from my first Little Chief to my latest Traeger and many others in between. I recently treated myself to a new SM025. After seasoning it and doing some reading on the forum, today I am breaking it in with my first smoke of sockeye salmon (it's a Northwest thing). Just now coming to temp (I really like the temp probe program) so it'll be off soon. Next up for this afternoons smoke will be a whole chicken. Looking forward to many years of living in the happy zone of flavors.........
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
Welcome Sherpa. My first cookshack was a SM-025. Still have it but it's currently on loan to my brother. How do you like your ribs so far?

The first batch of ribs was very good, but not the best I've ever had. The second batch, however, was very near the best I've ever had! I suspect the third attempt will be the best I've ever had and I cannot wait!!!!!
Welcome Sherpa. Check out the 101's that appear at the top of the different sections. There is some good information in them. There are some interesting things to learn about your new smoker. The first one is when you are loading your smoker make sure that the little tube that sticks out of the back wall of your smoker. is not in contact with the meat. There are others and if you spend some time reading I think you will find the stories. One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was when the recipe calls for 4 OZ. of wood, try to stick as close as you can to this. These smokers do not need a lot of wood to make good BBQ. Then there is the "Big Bang". You may never experience one, but you need to know about them just in case. My "Big Bang" happened while I had my new 045 filled with 2 turkeys. About 45 minutes into the cook I had the Bang. My wife was in the back of the house and came running out screaming "What the heck was that"? All of the dogs in the neighborhood were going ballistic. I ran out thinking my new smoker was going to be round and there were going to be turkey pieces parts all over my back yard. The smoker was fine, the turkeys were fine but I shut the smoker down just to make sure everything was all right. That brings up another thing you should know. These smokers have a preset startup mode. No matter what temperature you set them to run at, for the first 30 to 45 minutes they are set to run full blast. This is to get the smoke rolling fast. If you shut the smoker down, or the smoker looses power for some reason, when you turn it back on, the smoker will go back into the startup mode. Enjoy your smoker, and welcome to the group.
Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of exerience, ideas, recipes, disaster reports, success stories, and just plain everyday enjoyment of smoking food here. You'll find experts in smoking fish, brisket, pork, steak, etc., all willing to share (and argue about, and compare) their techniques and flavorings. Some truly unique stuff will have you immediately searching for meat cuts and ingredients you've never heard of. Enjoy!
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome! I've already spent the better part of the day reading through the 101's and preparing to attempt my ALL-TIME FAVORITE (brisket). There is a wealth of information here and thus far, what I've gotten out of it all is to keep a journal, which I've already started.

Now, if I can just understand what in the hell is wrong with my CS thermometer and what the hell it's good for.....? Thank god for my Weber 6741 or I'd be even more lost....
Good afternoon everyone. I have been smoking for about 20 years on a electric water bullet. I have a lot of success with that thing but alas, it died with a couple of racks in that cold, darn metal missile. I have been wanting a smoker I could control a little bit more than not at all. So I did my typical thing and geeked-out on smokers. The SM025 won and I did my first smoke with a whole chicken. Fantastic, everything was as I hoped. Looking forward to my new adventures into proper q...well at least the lazy persons electric style.
Hey everyone,

New to smoking here... bought a "previously loved" Smokette II from a friend who got a larger CS smoker.

I'm in LOVE! I've only had it a month or so and started with a brisket, then a pork shoulder, and a couple pork butts. Everything has been fantastic, I don't know how you can go wrong with these CS smokers.
quote:
Originally posted by Wellpark:
Hi All,

I am opening a Smokehouse Bistro in Bonnie Scotland. I have just purchased an FEC 240.

I want to try to create a fusion of Smokey Cue with a nod to the local produce in Scotland. There is an excellent supply of cheeses, lamb, beef and pork. We are also on the coast for salmon and shell fish. Should be fun.

Excellent! Welcome to the family. Hope you enjoy your 240 as much as I enjoy my 100. And if it's not a trade secret, we'd love to see a few smoked Scottish recipes that you come up with. Best of luck in your new endeavor and keep us posted with your progress.

HELLO everyone, my name is Joyce and I am so glad to be a part of this community. I work as a web developer for an online shop that sells quality pet supplies shock collars for dogs, dog crates, and pet bed. Thank you for giving me the privilege to join this forum. I am looking forward to getting new recipes and tips from the aspiring cooks in CS. See you around! 

Last edited by joynhappiness

Phaelon56 is the screen name I've used for the past 20 years in a variety of forums - travel, food/dining/cooking, and coffee/espresso. I'm also a big fan of live and recorded music (most genres except for country and hip-hop) and have a kick-a*s vintage audio system that I spent years putting together.

I am Owen O'Neill - formerly of central NY state, but as of last year a transplant to the Triangle area of NC.  Back in the late 1990's I purchased a cheap ($70) Char-Broil electric bullet style water smoker. It had limited capacity (three full racks of ribs if halved and using rib racks,) didn't perform well if outdoor temps were below 75 degrees, and required replenishing the water bowl at least once during each smoking session (more if it was pork shoulder.)  I started with hickory chips but later used mesquite, then a  combination of the two.  That unit died after ten years of use (4x to 5x times per year,) and I bought another one just like it.  Used that one for 8 years, then gave it to a friend when we moved.

Fast forward to now:  Did lots of research and was finding Masterbuilt, Char-Broil, and other brands in the $200 to $300 price range that looked iffy, in terms of build quality and reliability.  Spotted a used SM025 on Facebook Marketplace, did some research ( I had never heard of the brand.) We settled on $400, including casters and the probe. It needs a light cleaning but is in perfect working order. I've never before cooked a brisket, so I tried one this past weekend. Until I develop a better dry rub of my own, I just use McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning  (try it with ribs - you might be pleasantly surprised.) It was just the flat - about 5 pounds.  Rubbed, wrapped, then refrigerated for 18 hours and left it room temp for several hours before smoking.  I used about 1.5 cups of mixed hickory and apple chips - soaked for several hours prior.   Set smoker to 225 F  and placed brisket on lower rack with fat side up (probably should have done fat side down?)

Expecting roughly 1 hour per pound...  and 4 hours in it was only reading 170 F and had been stuck there for awhile. I did some quick reading online, then decided to pull it out, wrap in foil, and return to smoker with fat side down. Inserted the probe into meat at an angle - through the foil - to ensure that the tip did not come out other side.  45 minutes later, it had budged only 2 degrees. I bumped up temp to 250 F, then at 5.5 hours in I raised it to 275 F.  At 6 hours it finally read 190, and I pulled it (bed time was soon and it was late. ) Waited 30 minutes then opened foil and cut a slice. It was a bit dry for my taste (not bone dry but still...) and had a bit of pink.  Tried eating part of the slice and it was not as tender as a good brisket should be.  To salvage it, I tried the Drunken Brisket recipe (smoke for only 3 hours, remove and char both sides on a grill,  simmer 1.5 hours in a Bacon BBQ sauce, replenish liquids, then simmer an additional 1.5 hours.  I did that but skipped the final 1.5 hour simmer, as this brisket had already smoked for nearly 6 hours.)  

I'm generally a ribs guy, but my wife does not eat pork for religious reasons (former Seventh Day Adventist.)  I used thick cut turkey bacon in the sauce, subbed Sukrin Gold brown sugar (0 calories) for the recommended sugar (and still cut the amount of sugar by 50%,) then simmered it down to a fairly thick consistency. The brisket had cooled been re-wrapped, and sat in the fridge overnight.

Results?  Actually...  fantastic.  It doesn't really need the sauce but the extra simmering in the sauce gave it the texture I was hoping for. It's tender enough to cut with a fork but still holds together nicely when sliced. The sauce has cider vinegar, chili sauce, and molasses as components. It's thick but tangy and only a hint of sweetness (I detest super sweet BBQ sauce.)

I remain puzzled as to why it took so long and came out a bit on the dry side. 

Here is what I am looking at - other ideas appreciated:

1) Calibrate temp of probe (our instant read digital meat thermometer is in  storage until our kitchen remodel is done.)

2) Cook with fat side down.

3) Wrap in foil halfway through instead of closer to the end of the smoke.

4) Set unit to a higher temp - maybe 250 F?

Note:  if the section of above after my intro should be edited out and pasted in as a new thread elsewhere - please say so and I will accommodate. Thanks!

Hello from Kentucky!  We have owned our residential cookshack for over 20 years, love it to pieces, and cook something in it almost every weekend.  It is the very best smoker.  I have made wonderful smoked chicken, ribs, pork roasts, and today I am experimenting with smoking some okra straight out of my garden.  If anyone else has smoked some vegetables, give me some pointers.   I would love to know more about what combinations of seasonings and how much time it takes for them to be done. Today, I decided to wash and dry them, cut them lengthwise, rub olive oil on them, and sprinkle with a mixture of kosher salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.  Never tried to smoke any vegetable before, but hope it turns out good! Glad to see a couple of ladies on the forum.  So glad we bought a Cookshack, people who try to save money and by smokers from big box stores, find out that they don't last.  Happy Gardener who loves to cook. LNP2

New owner of an older 008 (mfg date 1-25-07).
I am in Spokane Washington area.  I have a MES 30 with mailbox mod that I use for cold smoking cheese and a Smokin-It #3 for hot smokes. Also have a Smokin-Tex 1400 that I use in Mesa AZ when wintering down there.
Been watching Craigslist for a second small smoker to use here in Spokane and found the 008. Intend to use for small batches and maybe with travel trailer while camping.  Picked it up for $225. Pretty good shape except some rust pitting on both sides., inside looks like it wasn't used, not even seasoned.  Should be able to clean up the rust and repaint to bring it back to like new. Guy I got it from said it was his father's and he didn't have time to use it himself.

Doing a seasoning smoke right now.
Dave11261809341126180933

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 008 interior: Interior with seasoning smoke
  • 008 exterior: exterior

Hello everyone at cookshack. We have been smoking chicken, ribs, roasts, veggies, etc. on our residential older model for so many years I can't remember.  It is the best cooker ever, and we love it so much.  Don't buy all that junk out there that doesn't hold up, buy Cookshack and you will love it for a life time like we are. 

Hi everyone!  Chris here from Bellevue, NE.  Have owned Charcoal, Gas and Electric smokers in the past.  A storm about a year ago dropped a huge branch on two gas smokers I had... But fear not!  God had a plan!  I found a used SM260 on craigslist and was able to pick it up for $800!!! Smoking has never been simpler, and everything turns out perfect!

Just lining up our food trailer and equipment as we (brother and I) are going to start a mobile smoke business in the spring.

First problem tho... SM260 started overheating.  Now display quit working.  Any suggestions would be well appreciated!  My SM260 was built in 1999, so it's older.  The conversion kit is over $1,600... so I don't want to go tell my girl that I need to spend twice as much to fix the smoker as what I paid for the smoker.

Anyways... Hi to all.  Hope to pick up some good info from the forum!

Chris

Hello from Southern Indiana... Started out 20 years ago on an Oklahoma Joe stick burner. Approx 7 years ago I bought a Traeger pellet grill and absolutely hated that thing. Smoke production and flavor sucked. Probably because I was use to the Oklahoma Joe and authenticity of actual wood vs pellets. Sold the Traeger and bought a pull behind unit called "Mini Beast" made by Custom Pits which I still have now. I really like the custom pits, but firing up this big smoker for small cooks isn't very feasible and its getting harder for me to find the time to babysit it.... On to current model. I just now purchased a Fast Eddy PG500 and so far I really like it. Easy to use, and I no longer need to babysit the smoker. Only complaint is the amount of ash this pellet grill is producing, but I'm working with it to figure out the issues and will make corrections as needed. The PG500 smoke production is great and the flavor is awesome as well. So far I'm really enjoying the PG500... Looking forward to getting to know you guys/gals and seeing what you're all smoking/cooking and to see what new stuff I can learn from you pros.

idahomike posted:

Welcome to the forum Chris.  The first thing I would do is call Cookshack.  The people you talk to are the people that build these smokers, and are very helpful.  If anyone can get you up and running properly, they can. 

Thanks!  Called them today.  I have to say that since they have no "skin in the game" (I bought a used smoker from a private party), I'm really impressed with their customer service!  I don't feel that Bill treated me any different than someone who had just bought a new smoker.  Great Job CS!

I pulled the board out and saw that there was moisture inside.  I dried everything and plugged it back in.  Brought it up to temp and the display started working again (Whew!)... 

I am monitoring the temp using the built in display, an oven thermometer, an oil probe from a turkey fryer through the top hole and also a cheap-o digital meat probe from wally-world.  

Been running for 20 minutes with the following results:
CS Display = 286
Turkey Therm = 300
Wally-World = 320
Oven Therm = 375

I'm confused... 

I won't post anymore about my heat problem here as this is an introduction forum.

Chris

Chris:  You have a very large unit.  I don't know if yours has the preprogramed start up cycle to it or not.  My SMO66 has it.  My unit runs at full temp for around 45 minutes.  Depending on how much I have in it, and how cold it is outside, it takes an hour or more for it to finally settle down and stabilize at the set temp.  Even then you will hot spots and cool spots on the different racks and areas in the smoker.  You will also see it pick up temp by 5 to 10 degrees, when it is heating up and then cool down by that much before it heats up again.  This is just the nature of these Smoker Ovens.

Thanks for the reply.  Mine finally overheated tonight after about 40 minutes (running in a closed, but unheated garage).  The smoker beeps at me and display just reads "Over Temp".  I'm going to call Cookshack again tomorrow if I have time.

Concerning hotspots... I saw a video where a guy used some of the pillsbury-type rolls of biscuits.  He put them in his new smoker for a half hour... then looked at the done-ness of them to identify the hot spots.  Way simpler than trial and error!

You can see the video here if you want:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3ZEjXhvTs

Hiall,S-met from Northern California.

A lil about me:
First, I'm usually here on my phone, so please excuse spelling errors from my fat fingers in a tiny touch-screen.

Secondly, no joke, my first word was bbq. Well probably more like ba ba coo. Apparently I used to run to the back patio door and point to that old grill and repeatedly say it to the probable annoyance to my parents. And nearly 40 years later I still love the bbq.

When to comes to bbq, I am no purist. While I do differentiate grill and bbq, I don't judge on the heat source. Gas, charcoal, electric, pellet, open flame or whatever else, its all good as long as you have a good time. I have a propane grill, old new braunfel off-set stick burner and a little portable propane smoker.  All have there +/-. All have put out a fair share of deliciousness and their share of goof-ups. Just added this week was a SM008, I expected afew hits and misses until I get dialed in, but like I said, I'll have a good time along the way.

20191025_174908

Aside from grilling and smoking, I brew beer, make ciders & wines, ferment krauts, pickles, kimchi and other lacto-experimentals and definitely know my way around the kitchen. My only limit is my imagination, and sometimes I let it run unsupervised.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20191025_174908

Hi everyone, 

Yesterday I just picked up a previously well loved sm008. I was relatively unfamiliar with the cookshack brand. I was in the market for an electric smoker and was doing my routine weekly browse. I was hoping to get a gently used MES but someone was retiring this smoker.

A lil about me:
First, I'm usually here on my phone, so please excuse spelling errors from my fat fingers in a tiny touch-screen.

Secondly, no joke, my first word was bbq. Well probably more like ba ba coo. Apparently I used to run to the back patio door and point to that old grill and repeatedly say it to the probable annoyance to my parents. And nearly 40 years later I still love the bbq.

When to comes to bbq, I am no purist. While I do differentiate grill and bbq, I don't judge on the heat source. Gas, charcoal, electric, pellet, open flame or whatever else, its all good as long as you have a good time. I have a propane grill, old new braunfel off-set stick burner. a little portable propane smoker and now a cookshack sm008. All have there +/-. All have put out a fair share of deliciousness and their share of goof-ups.

Aside from grilling and smoking, I brew beer, make ciders & wines, ferment krauts, pickled vegetables, kimchi and other lacto-experimentals and definitely know my way around the kitchen. My only limit is my imagination, and sometimes I let it run unsupervised.

Welcome to the Forum! The CS owners and users here are very willing and able to help with whatever questions or problems you may have. We love to cook bbq, and we love to eat bbq. Lurking in the background (these days) we have some very accomplished competition bbq cooks as well as some experienced professional commercial chefs. If you find the format of the Forum clunky and awkward, welcome to the club.  We can help with that too. Post your cooking adventures and misadventures! Pics always a plus!

S-MET:  Welcome to the forum.  I am on my third Cook shack.  These things take a little bit to get used to.  First off they are very tight, and cook on the moist side.  They are also wood stingy.  2 to 8 ounces of wood will give you good smoke flavor.  You don't need to be rolling smoke through out the cook.  You will get the idea as you go along.

I ordered the SM025 directly thru Cookshack. Karen was very helpful answering a few questions. Previously did my smoking indirectly on my gas grill using a smoker box. Mainly smoking baby backs or chicken legs or wings. Looking forward to some pork butts and beef briskets, whole chickens. Looking forward to the CS smoking experience!

Spartyon:  I would call Cookshack direct.  They are very good about helping out.   You will be talking directly to the people that built your smoker.  They will walk you through how to diagnose what the problem is.  I don't know how long you have had your unit, or how clean it is.  I have been running mine for a long time and need to clean it up again.  There is a little probe that sticks out of the inside back of the smoker.  Every time I have had any problems with temps, I either needed to clean the probe, or I had something to close to it.  

I think Mike is on to something. You either have a probe problem, or a controller problem, or a heater problem . Something is telling the heater to shut down with an actual internal temp that is less than the set temp. Or, all the heat it can put out is not enough. For my AQ, I've never tried to cook as high as 300, so I can't say what my cooker's response to that is. It might be that that's the best it can do if your doors don't seal well and insulation is old. Best call CS.

Hi Jay,

I used to spend a lot of time online browsing the forums and life kind of got out in front of me for awhile, along with a desire to lose some weight, so I haven't used the smoker much.  I love my SM066, but I am going to have to see how well it maintains temp now that the "bomb cyclone" blew it over onto it's face last year and bent  the alignment of the hinges.

BBQ around my area seems to be Famous Dave's or Dicky Betts.  There was one local independent a few years ago but I didn't care for their product.  Apparently not alone in that as they lasted about six months.

Baby backs in the menu for today and gonna throw a pork butt in overnight.

Have a good weekend

Ron

Good morning,  I'm Ron from Aurora, Colorado, and I started with a CS SM 045 about 10 years ago before upgrading to an SM066 several years ago.  I probably don't use my smoker anywhere near as often as most customers, but when I do I enjoy it very much.  I'm a 40+ year engineer in the telecom and broadband industry, and in a few years I hope to be doing a lot more Q-ing as every day will be a Saturday.  Lisa and I are empty nester's who enjoy wine, cooking, travel and music.

Cheers!

Hi...   have been with this forum since 2003 but not really getting the hang of this new forum.  Think this is my first post in about 6 years.  Have a model 55 which is built like a tank and has been working without a hitch for the last 15 years.  Do most everything with it including salmon, double smoked bacon, turkey and the usual ribs and brisket.  If you haven't tried it, look for the recipe for "Smokey Joe's".  Very good for serving to groups.  Would like to try a meatloaf but wife says she doesn't want smoke on her meatloaf.  I guess that's ok but maybe I'll do one just for myself some day.