Skip to main content

Hi i am smokeyone a 51 yr old kid w/ wife, kids,& grandkids. i love the Lord because He first loved me and has blessed me in so many ways
i have had charcoal bullet, gas bullet, and a Good One charcoal both charcoal models did a good job but basicly i don't like being tied down to the smoker i would rather be fishing , hunting, riding my cruiser walking around the sporting good stores, sleeping, ect. so last weekend i bought a 50 at cabela's did my secound smoke (chicken ) yeasterday for Mom's birthday party this thing works great
Last edited by Former Member
Sorry about the late response. I was sitting on the beach for a week.

I think I want an electric heated wood smoke model. Ease of use is very important to me. Although, I definitely want to cold smoke.

The main purpose of the smoker will be to smoke bacon, sausage, hams, etc. So, it will not be an issue of how many people I'm cooking for.

Price is always an issue. I have plenty of money but I am very conservative when it comes to spending money on hobbies.

Assuming the SM009 does what I'm looking for I would most likely start there- unless I am convinced I should go a different direction.
Way to go TomC! Congratulations to you on a very wise purchase! Welcome to the forum! You wil find lots of info here and will not regret your choice. You pretty much have the same setup as me. I also have the chili-grill and ribhooks. If your indoor oven has one of those enamel coated broiler pans, it will slide nicely between the Smokette and the cart and it is heavy enough to stay, barring a 'nader or such, which I doubt you will have there.
Hi, I am Loyd from Washington NC living on a sailboat and just started smoking. I have used my Weber gas grill a lot and several pig pickins in the traditional NC way down east. My Amerique arrived in early August. It has to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. It is sure to make new friends at the marina here. Thanks to all in the forum and SmokinOkie!
Hi I'm Jim from Weymouth, MA. I got hooked on real BBQ in the late 60's or early 70s. Interstate 95 wasn't complete and went through Fayetteville NC. There was a small white building that made the best pulled pork. From there we stopped at every Stuckies on the way to and from Key West.

I've been smoking for close to 30 years now and just ordered a CS 55 today. I'm getting to old to be burning sticks.
ok so i'm a 34 year old chef. i'm from just outside chicago in downers grove. just openned a new resturant called mullens bar and grill. chicago style pub, just got our cookshack last week. i'm doing pork butt for pulled pork sandwich's and doing baby back ribs. first couple batches have been ok but looking to fine tune.

so how does it work i go first???lol.
Welcome heavyd72! We can use all the chefs we can get on here!

Feel free to jump right in. You will find lots of info in the archives, smokin's 101's, and by using the search function.

Let us know what you are looking for with your pork. Someone here can more than likely help.
Hey all, I'm Doug. I just got my smokette yesterday. Seasoned it last night and will throw some butts on tonight. One question, it looked like my heating element was twisted so that it almost touches the wood box...is that normal? It doesn't appear to be broken since the smell of hickory was all over my neighborhood this morning...but I want to make sure I'm not in for any trouble.

I can't wait to get those butts in the CS!!
Hey Doug -- "Welcome to the Forum!" You're going to love your CS. The smell of cooking ! will drive your neighbors nuts and you'll probably meet some "new neighbors" if ya know whhat I mean.

On the element, if in doubt, call CS Customer Service. They will tell you if there's a potential problem. Great people! 1-800-423-0698 X14

Good luck & have fun! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
We're getting lots of new members (and lurkers) so thought I was time for a "roll call".<br /><br />Tell us who you are?<br /><br />I'm Smokin' Okie, a non-paid straight man for the rest of the forum gang. Love the friends here at the forum! I've been smokin' for a REALLY long time, on most any smoker out there.
Hi All,
Been lovin' my AQ for the past couple of months. I tend to put in more chunks than recc., but I like a LOT of smoke. Only problem I have found is thermostat..does not stop at set temp...either up or down for quite a while before it settles down.Could be all the wood I'm throwing in.
Was in Md.a few weeks ago and had some of the best ribs and chicken I ever stuffed my mouth with!!! Fella had 2 Southern Pride BIG smokers and used a simple rub on the baby back ribs (1.75 lbs - 2lbs)just rubbed top..threw them in. Used hickory at 240 degrees for 3 hours. No turning or opening.
Chicken had back cut out then split in half. Kosher salt only and in the smoker at 275 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
Used a ketchup and cider vinegar based sauce ...only on the side...no turning...no apple juice spritz...never opened the door till done with ribs or chicken.Try a blind tasting with Heinz and Hunts...tell me what you think)
I tried the same times and temp with my AQ. After a few tries, pre warming the box got me to about the same times give or take. THE BEST I'VE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!
Happy cooking and thanks to all of you that gave me advice on buying COOKSHACK!!!!!!!!!!
Herb
Greetings,

I'm on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and at the time of this post I've had my 055 for the third day..... I've done 2 batches of wings, one shoulder and a brisket..... ribs to go in today!

If you plan a trip this way feel free to contact me if you want the latest fishing report or want to go out.... I've got a Parker 2520XL.... love to fish.... I can also take care of you in the local emergency room if you eat too much Q or burn you hands... suggest the fishing.

Regards,

Richard
Hi, I'm Gail from Toronto. I just bought a Smokette today. I haven't set it up yet, but I'm looking forward to cooking up a storm.

I'm a culinary educator, food writer and editor, and recipe developer and tester. I plan to smoke briskets, ribs, chicken, turkey, salmon and other fish. I also want to experiment with veg such as eggplant and peppers.

This looks like a wonderful forum. Glad I found it.
Hi Guys and Gals.
I'm a new member but not a new cook or guy, having just celebrated my 70 th.bday.
My successful smoking has thus far been limited to salmon
hot smoked in an Old Smokey, as directed by my old pal Willi. Wonderful, in fact the best i have ever eaten,all credit to Willi.
Willi has just passed away (idiotic phrase)
so i am the sad recipient of his much used 1998 # 55 and lots of spare parts.
He was German which explains the back up parts!

My interests are cooking, fishing,reading,(i will read a milk carton)and voracious information seeking on the net.
I was formerly a big game hunter from Newfoundland to Alaska as well as a trap and skeet shooter and avid handloader and pistol hunter. My freshwater fishing exploits are well known in some circles and some wonder when i found time to work!

My interest NOW is to learn this 55.
Jeff at CS has already been helpful with some technical matters as my pal Willi had modified his smoker to better serve his personal ideas which were developed in the big deli's and butcher shop/smoke houses of Europe.

Be patient with me as i'm half italian and half german myself and the German half is anal to a fault..(ask my wife of 48 years)!!

Thanks to all for listening.
dick
Hey Everyone! My name is Kelly and I live in Seattle, Washington. I just ordered my CS the other day and am impatiently awaiting its delivery from Cabelas. I have tried 'smoking' with a propane grill but we all know how that turns out so I finally broke down and purchased a true smoker.

Everybody sure seems to be helpful on this site. Being a newbie to this I'm sure I will be posting quite a few questions.

Happy Smokin'

Kelly
Another Arkie here, in gorgeous Tumbling Shoals on Greers Ferry Lake. I've been log smokin' for several years, but with a 17-month old and another due at Christmas, my hands-on smoking time is just about non-existent, so I'm getting a CS smokette 008, which should be here tomorrow or Friday.

Can't wait to start using it!
(Is it normal to dream about your smoker?) Smiler

Leigh
Hey Aberwacky! Welcome too the forum!

When I read your post I gasped! Tumbling Shoals, AR I lived there for several years. My wife and I built the log house on Old 25 - now living in Searcy.

You'll love your CS and get more rest and timee to play not having to tend the stick-burner.

Have fun with your new toy and read, read and read some more! This forum is full of good folks who are more than willing to assist you with Q questions!

Welcome aboard!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.