Skip to main content

Hello all!
Well I am new I have only cooked two butts and that is the extent of my smoken live!! I have a Smokette Elite. I live in Canyon, TX and am trying to get really good at this stuff!!

I would like to open a restaurant someday and have half the menu be BBQ!

My second butt was outstanding and my taste testers can't belive it is only my second go round!!
Hey everyone, Jeff from Chicago here. I am loving my new FEC 100. I have been running restaurants & cooking for ever! I have also been doing the competition thing with eggs & a Backwoods Fat Boy. I am loving this pellet pooper! Lots to learn, I am having a great time. Ordered pellets & a baseball cap today! I'll be in touch!
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by Smoke It:
...I've been smokin since '04 when I bought my CS Smokette II model 009...

Took you 5 years to find the forum, man, we need to work on that.

Now, if you were lurking for 5 years, we'd give you a hard time.

Welcome all the resent newbies.

I knew of this forum but just never checked it out before. I did get a lot of good info and receipes on the CS web site.

I guess I'll have to reduce the amount of time I spend on the Gold Wing Motorcycle forum so I can come here.

Thank you for the friendly welcome.

Mac
Hello all,

I'm Jeremy from the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Ordered a SM025 this weekend, can't wait for it to get here!!!

26 now, been smokin on a brinkmann offset for about 2 yrs. Stumbled across the forum & have been soaking up info like a sponge!! Kid in a candy store right now Big Grin

So much info & so many great recipes to choose from, hard to choose what I wanna put in there first! Found out today mine's on backorder Frowner so hopefully I don't go crazy in anticipation!!!

Looking forward to getting it, trying all the great suggestions & doing a little experimenting of my own!

Jeremy
Hi, I am Jimmy and I am from Singapore. Realized BBQ is a 400-year old art/tradition. Will be coming over to CS for the cooking class in December. Kindly advise the BBQ outlets that I should visit or the people I should meet to learn more from. Do you guys gather to chow down? Would be great to meet some of you from the forum. For some idea of our vibrant food scene in Singapore, please visit this: http://ieatishootipost.sg/, of which I am a member.
Greetings!

Name is Robert. I was watching FoodTV while I was hungry. Now I'm here. Guy Fieri was cruising the BBQ pits and I realllllllly wanted some of that pulled pork. Ordered the little 020 and it's supposed to ship today. I have to play army this weekend so even if it gets to the house, I won't get to play with it. From the looks of the weather, I might get to season it in the snow. WooWoo!

I'm in southern california, but up in the mountains at 6200 feet. Above the smog and traffic! Smiler
Hello All, I just wanted to intrduce myself , and i will be cooking on a FEC100 for witch i am very excited to smoke on.. I have been lurking in thease forums for about two months now but i have been a great admirer of the FastEddie for a long time now... I look forward to learning alot about smoking tip and tenquies.

Thanks Everyone,

New2Somikng
Hi my name is Calvin Burchett I received a cs020 for xmas(early). I live in a small town, Freeman Missouri, with my wife. I have 2 grown kids,will maybe not raised. I have my own siding business that keeps me hopping most of the time. In the spring,summer,fall you can find me on the weekends at the "Gem of the Ozarks" usually catching some crappie. When I was a pup I would do a little smoking on a homemade stick smoker. Boy that seems like a long time ago. I'm only 46 yrs young but have had hard miles put on the body or maybe put-away wet to many times. I like to bird hunt when given a chance. I love to eat good Q.
hey all!,
my name is jeff heaton, a retired firefighter from texas. i have owned restaurants for the last 17 years. i will be opening a new one this summer. the wife and i travel the country in our RV and harley [ultra classic]. i have owned a cookshack smoker the last several years and plan to buy a FE300 in the next few months. my restaurants have been seasonal, but highly profitable. i work 4 months a year and kick back for the rest. once i get the FE300 i will be doing comps. i will be a rookie at comps, but i have been qing for many years......should be fun.
Hi,
My name is Carol. I am a newbie. I have never "smoked" before, but have eaten some great smoked food and have been wanting a smoker for some time. My husband gave me the Elite Smokette as a Christmas gift and I am eager to try it. This seems like a very friendly forum and I have enjoyed reading the posts. One thing I am confused about. The manual says to start up the smoker for the first time without meat. Then in italic it says to use a go get a cheap piece of fatty meat. Does this really "season" the smoker? What would happen if you were tempted to eat that first piece of meat. Is it really safe to leave the smoker on overnight, or while you are at work?
quote:
Originally posted by Downers Grove Cook:
Hi,
My name is Carol. I am a newbie. I have never "smoked" before, but have eaten some great smoked food and have been wanting a smoker for some time. My husband gave me the Elite Smokette as a Christmas gift and I am eager to try it. This seems like a very friendly forum and I have enjoyed reading the posts. One thing I am confused about. The manual says to start up the smoker for the first time without meat. Then in italic it says to use a go get a cheap piece of fatty meat. Does this really "season" the smoker? What would happen if you were tempted to eat that first piece of meat. Is it really safe to leave the smoker on overnight, or while you are at work?

Hi Carol - Welcome to the world of Cookshack and the forum. It appears we're neighbors in that I live a little East of you in Hinsdale (at least part of the time).

To season a new unit, I would recommend that you run it empty at max. temp. with a couple of chunks of oak or hickory, for 5 to 6 hours. Then, smoke a pork butt at 225F until you hit an internal temp. of 195F. The meat will be fine to pull and eat.

It's safe to run overnight unattended. I do it all of the time with butts and briskets and my unit (an 008) sits on a wooden deck off my kitchen / family room. If you don't already have a remote digital thermometer, it's time to get one.

Disregard the manual and just follow the forum. Read the 101's and don't hesitate to ask questions. You're in good company.

Enjoy.
Hello. Newbie and inexperienced. Have to laugh at myself. I noticed in my profile I registered in 2005. I always wanted a CS and got lucky and bought an 009 almost 8 months ago on clearance at Cabelas. I wanted to read and study as much as I could before I got started. No matter how much I read and how easy it was stated, I was intimidated as I know nothing of smoking. Well after a wonderful conversation with Karen earlier, I am finally seasoning my smoker as I type. It will be almost 8 hrs of seasoning in about 45 minutes. Bear with some questions as I forge forward. I will likely look back and laugh again wondering why I was so worried. This is a great site!
KCSO53 here-New to the forum and a recent recipient of the Amerique, well I bought it for myself. I've been smoking on and off for the last 6 years on my WSM. Took delivery of the Amerique on Tuesday, unpacked it, put the casters on and it's sitting in the heated garage. Call me an idiot but I refuse to put it outside in this single digit Chicago weather, - windchills and snow. I'm waiting for it to get a little warmer before I season it. Believe me I can't wait but I'm well, anal and that's just the way it is. In the mean time I'm enjoying reading all the posts.
Hi ya'll,
My name is Greg, (_ _ _ hole to my wife sometimes.) We both love to bowhunt deer, antelope, and turkeys, and of course love to smoke meat. Been smokin' butts, ribs, brisket, etc., on side-by for years here in the ozarks of Mo. Been looking at cookshack for 2-3 years and finally decided to take the plunge. Should have my 020 in a about a week if all goes well. Love the forums lots of good info. Posed to get 4 inches o' snow tonight and -5 degrees. Sittin' by the fire with an adult refreshment waitin' on some antelope chili.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Hi my name is Calvin Burchett I received a cs020 for xmas(early). I live in a small town, Freeman Missouri, with my wife. I have 2 grown kids,will maybe not raised. I have my own siding business that keeps me hopping most of the time. In the spring,summer,fall you can find me on the weekends at the "Gem of the Ozarks" usually catching some crappie. When I was a pup I would do a little smoking on a homemade stick smoker. Boy that seems like a long time ago. I'm only 46 yrs young but have had hard miles put on the body or maybe put-away wet to many times. I like to bird hunt when given a chance. I love t

o eat good Q.

Hey cal,
Where the heck is Freeman, Mo.? I live in Springfield. Where is it from here? My wife and I love to catch crappie too. Just ordered a 020 and am supposed to get it maybe next week. Give me a holler. Greg ( bowhuntrmaniac@mchsi.com)
Hey all,

I am Larry out here in California. I have been clicking here for over a year and registered for about a year. This has to be one of, if not the best forum site on the net. In fact this site is one of reasons I bought my Cookshack. I got into smoking about 6 or 7 year ago. I started using a Masterbuilt 7 In 1 water pan smoker. I had pretty good results, especially with Pork butts. I never really minded the tending the fire thing, it always created time for a beer and a cigar. Well I have two kids now and my Cookshack Elite 025 gives me more time and less worries about fires and burns. I have had my CS for about a year now. love this thing. I would love to get a couple FEC's and travel around the country entering BBQ contests. Okay, sorry back to reality. I am looking forward to really perfecting all cuts of meat/poultry and it may take me a while, but it will be tasty long road! I am willing to endure the journey. Damn, I am getting hungry. Repetition is the mother of skill.
Bowhunter,
Sorry,I just seen your post. I'm betwwen KC and Springfield. I love to do that crappie thing at Pomme De Terre. Hard lake to fish, but like smoking, a little patience goes a long ways!

Crazy Smokin Larry,
Sorry for intruding on your thread!Nothing better than good company,good Q,and a good cigar. Oh yes I can also dream of FEC.
Hello, my name is Russ and I just got my Amerque last Monday the 25th. I have been grilling for about 40 years but I am new to low and slow smoke cooking.
I started smoke cooking this past summer with a Smoke Hollow gasser. I have done pork ribs, steel head trout and Buckboard bacon in it. I managed to get a good product from the gasser but with out a t stat to control the temps it is highly labor intensive. I did a lot of reseach on all the smoke cookers out there and decided on the Cookshack because of the reviews I have read hear and else where on the net.
I did a pork butt for my first adventure in the AQ and using Okie's serving sauce I ended up with a delicous PB.
I am doing 3 racks of baby backs and smoked beans tomorrow and looking forward to many smoking adventures wth the AQ.
I really enjoy this forum and I think Smokeshack does a wonderful job building smoke cookers.

Russ
My name is Carlos, and no, I'm not hispanic. I tried to learn to speak Spanish, but they just laugh at me and speak to me in English. Frowner Wink

I just got a SM025, and it's all seasoned and ready to go. I had planned on doing some pork ribs today, but my bosses actually wanted me to do some work. Can you believe it? I mean, who does that anymore? Big Grin Seriously, though, I'm a barbecue-aholic, and I'll get to those ribs on Saturday.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in a little town called Pittsburg. I'll bet you didn't know there was one of them in CA. Notice that there's no "h" on the end like that imposter town in PA Wink

I've learned a lot already from these forums, and I plan on learning a lot more. See you soon!! Cool
I'm newbie Basscat. I have never smoked a piece of meat in my life, but recently came up on a killer deal on a barely used ST 1400 electric smoker, and jumped on it.

I have been reading here for about a week,and have gleaned an AMAZING amount of information. I plan to begin my smoking trials (and errors!)this Saturday. I will be off work for two weeks in a row, so hopefully I will get the hang of it by the time I go back to work.
Hello my name is Darren and I'm from North Dakota. I've been a long time smoker using my homemade gas fired smoker. It did the job for me but with not near as much control as I wanted. I recently purchased on Amerique and immediately smoked jerky and pork ribs. Wow, was I happy, both turned out great. I used the modified GLH method for the jerky. While I can only do a fraction of the volume of meat each smoke now, it's well worth it since I have little "babysitting" while smoking. One thing I noticed in your fourms is that there is little information about smoking country style sausages. I may have to start a thread to learn more. Thanks
Hello this is Billy from Panama City,Florida.Have been on this forum for a few years now and have to say its the best one on the net for sure!Cookshack is a very good product with Donna,Stuart and Smokinokie all pitching in.And others I dont know helping too.But this forum would not be what it is today without SmokinOkie for sure!Many thanks to all that contribute to this forum so everyone can learn to que!
Hello to all. I am Gary I. from the middle of Kansas. I have been smokin stuff for the past 5yrs. I have used different smokers in the past. I had a Brinkman electric. It worked good, but very weather dependent. If it is cold, and windy forget about it. I currently have a Weston gas smoker. It is nothing to brag about . It works OK, but have to adjust the temp. constantly. I converted it to Natural gas which did help. Well last Fri. I made the plunge, and ordered my New AQ. Of course they are out of stock, and won't come in until Late in the Month. It is difficult to be patient , but just gonna have to wait.
I appreciate all of the great info. on this forum. You guys are the best at what you do. I have done a lot of Q, and plan on improving with your help.
Thanks Again
Gary I.
Hi all,

My name is Richard. About 8 or 9 months ago I was watching the Memphis in May cookout on TV, lamenting the generally sad state of BBQ in california, and decided to take matters into my own hands. I live, work, and play in the SF bay area, and though we have a few decent soul food places, authentic BBQ seems hard to come by (as if I knew what authentic really was).

So I bought a smoker and started reading everything I could and talking to everyone that would tell me anything. I found tons of good info on the net, but this was the place I kept coming back to. I can't express my gratitude for the wealth of knowledge and help here. If I said thanks a thousand times, it wouldn't be enough.

So far, I've mostly focused on butt, and I'm getting decent at it. Family & friends shower me with compliments, but I think that's partly because it's just not common out here, and partly because it's pretty forgiving. I'm far from an expert, but I have kicked off the training wheels and made my own sauces, tinkered with different kinds (and ratios) of wood, etc.

I'd like to get better at ribs & brisket. Both times I smoked ribs, I overdid it and dried them out a bit. The brisket had good flavor, but was not very tender.

Anyhow, thanks a bunch!
I am Ken from a chicago suburb. I own my company, married to the most wonderful woman on earth, have 7 kids who have lots of friends and they all come to our house (mainly to eat) and i do all the cooking. I have been grilling and smoking for years using every possible grill and smoker made. i now own a FEC100 and my only complaint is that i didn't buy 2 of them.
Great site and product that can't be beat.
My name is Mike and I live in the foothills outside of Reno, Nv. I fell in love with true BBQ about 12 years ago when I met my wife in Texas. I realized that there was NOBODY who put out good Q back in Reno. I set out to learn whatever I could from BBQ joint owners in my wife's hometown of Lake Jackson. I have been reading anything I can get my hands on. I own a large Traeger pellet smoker/grill, a Weber kettle and the most recent addition to my stable is an Amerique. Over the years I have learned to turn out some fairly good Q but realize that I have a whole lot to learn. Wveryone on the forums here has something to offer ande I don't know if I will live long enough to absorb it all but I'll sure try!
I'm BBQJack, new AmeriQue owner. Been BBQ'n 40 plus years. Will always have a Weber kettle, love that thing. I've had off-sets, pits, and just parted with my Primo ceramic XL oval. Hated to sell it but I had some space issues. Always on the quest for the perfect Q recipe. First ribs were OK, with all your help I can do better. Great forum,thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.