Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Well. A lot of us here will vote for the Cookshack. But you're not comparing apples to apples since some of these things aren't similar products.

The Primo is a grill not a smoker.

The Big Green Egg is a grill and can be used to smoke, but from what I've read on their site, it can't smoke below 300* (BGE users can verify if this is correct). We smoke pork butt, brisket, ribs, tri tip, fish, sausage, almonds, and many other things at temps as low as 225*, 180* or lower.

The Bubba Keg is a grill not a smoker.

The Cookshack is pure smoker for traditional barbecue.

If you're looking to smoke, why buy a grill? If you're looking to barbecue low and slow, the Cookshack produces great product with no baby sitting required. Throw your stuff into the smoker, walk away, and let your remote thermometer tell you when it's done.

Conversely, you won't grill steaks in a Cookshack. So I guess you need to figure what type of cooking you desire and go from there. If you already have a grill, then I'd recommend a pure smoker, and specifically the Cookshack.

Well said!
Hi all, my name is Steve. West Michigan is my home and I have served my community for over ten years as a police officer (hence the 'pig' in my title...even we can have fun w/it!)

After spending too many saturday's tending the fire in my offset smoker, I convinced my wife to let me buy something different. After finding a CS008 on Craigslist, I did some research and found the CS forums. I couldn't call and buy it fast enough.

After the traditional PB, I watched Smokin Okie's video on trimming spares into St Louis style ribs and had the best ribs (according to my wife, who is quite the critic). And a big thanks to all the advice posted on here, it's helped a bunch. Smokin's 101's are a must read, and it's a shame I didn't find these forums sooner.. So I am now out of the lurking darkness and into the light.
Hi All,

I am new to real smoking although I have smoked ribs and brisket a few times on my Weber. I've been lusting after a cookshack for a couple years and just finally got an AmeriQue.

In the last week I made pulled pork, ribs, and last night brisket with burnt ends.

I LOVE this thing!!!!

P.S. Thanks to all as I would have been totally lost without all the info on this forum
Howdy from Illinois. I'm new to smokin but been grillin for many years. I am the designated griller at our family functions. I enjoy cooking & eating, especially BBQ. Had my 1st taste of smoked brisket (bootheel of Missouri) almost 40 years ago. Have had a soft spot for good BBQ ever since. Just ordered the SM025 as a birthday present from my wife. I decided on the SM025 based on reputation, reviews, and most importantly, it's Made in the USA, just like me. My intentions are to use the Smokette year round. After lurking for a bit I decided to register. A hat tip to all the kind folks that take the time to post & are willing to share their knowledge. Thank you kindly, Paul
Hello from Delaware!

I have been retired for a week (YEA) and my wife and I are in the process of buying a B&B in Vermont (hope to close on Nov. 1).

I have a lot of experience cooking on ceramic grills (BGE & Primo) and use a BBQ Guru to control temps for lo-n-slo cooks.

That said, I want to step up my game for the B&B and make smoked trout a signature appetizer and start smoking sausage, etc.

I am hoping someone can advise me if there are special considerations about what cooker you need to get to comply with commercial safety/health requirements. I am really interested in the SM160, but I am not sure I can afford it right after buying the Inn.

I also have a general question about cooking times. I bought the Gettin Smokin, CS cookbook and they give many times in terms of times per pound, when starting with something like 4 ea, 18 pound roasts. If you are cooking 60 pounds of meat at 180, 600 minites sounds about right, but what happens when you are just cooking just one? I cannot believe an hour and 40 minutes gets it.
Welcome aboard BobS.
Congrats on your retirement and B&B.
I have a FEC-100 and love it. I'll tell you how I figure my time.
Take your largest piece of meat, in your case an 18# roast, and figure 1-1/2 to 2 hours per pound. First off, I would cut that big thing in half for 2-9# chunks. I usually cook at 225-250F.
Of course, Smokin! Been living in Washington, DC, for about 7 years now. I've wanted a smoker for a long time but condo living downtown isn't the best place to do it, especially given the DC Fire Codes (no open flames!) and dealing with the condo association. Even considered moving just to have the outdoor space to 'que, but the conveniences of living downtown are just too good to give up, for now. I never really thought about an electric smoker until recently. After lots of reading about CS, I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner. Looking forward to learning and sharing my own experiences with this group. This is a great forum with lots of good peoples!
Hello everyone...

I live in New Mexico and I have been BBQing for about 15 years. The last 10 or so have been on a BGE large. I love it but I am looking to "up my game" and perhaps get in a contest or two. Really looking hard at the FEC 100/ 120. This forum has been really useful.

Scot
Congrats Marty M. I have had my 025 for almost a year now. You will love it! Have you smoked previously? You didnt mention what part of the country you live in. What do you like to cook?

Because of this wondeful smoker I have tried so many new things. I make my own jerky. I smoke my own almonds. I have made pastrami out of cow tongue. Smoked Salmon, brisket, butt, ribs, holiday ham, cheese, and chicken and I can't forget one of my favorites, my very own bacon.

I now wish I had a taller smoker, which equals more $$$. I have taken to making my own sausages and wish I had more vertical room to hang them.

Looking forward to hearing about your smoking adventures. Good luck.

Vicki
Hello all. New to smoking. Just received my Elite. Early Christmas present from my wife. We usually have ham for Christmas Eve meal. Looks like Pork Butt this year!! Maybe a side of ribs.
Plan on spending a lot of time on this site trying to avoid pitfalls.
Appriciate all the information on this site!
Welcome. You can still make a ham. I just did for part of my Thanksgiving meal. Check out Maria-Anne's post under pork from November 10th. She did a fantastic job of documenting her process. It came out great and can be done a couple days in advance if necessary.

Of course, there is so much to be said for a yummy smoked pulled pork for Xmas.

You are gonna enjoy your experience.
My name is Jim. I have been reading up (ok, lurking) for a month or so. I've been good this year and Santa is amenable to a smoker, so I think an order is in order. Never had one, but have always figured it's foolish to waste time and $- so going right to a cookshack. From the Saratoga Springs area, which is probs not a smoking hotbed, but we're gonna get it heated up before 2012 is out. What to get??
Well alot of these are made when ordered, I dont think they habe a lot in stock. I know mine was a few weeks wait. You may want to give CS a call tomorrow and discuss your options with them. They will give u as much time on the phone as.u need. They are really nice. Tell them what u wanna smoke and they will steer u in the right direction. Or, folks on here can do the same. Always consider the next size up if you can swing it. I have mine for a year now and I would love a bigger one!!! You will love whatever you get. I love mine. I have a 12 lb packer brisket going in early AM tomorrow for dinner...YUM
Santa just showed up at my placed dressed like a UPS driver. He rolled up the back door of his truck and unloaded a SM025.I have it in the back yard right now going through the break in.While I wait I am rubbing up some St. Louies for Sunday. This is going to be the best Christmas ever. Marty
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Welcome aboard. I like the way you cook with the libations in the food or sauce. Once you get the hang of the smoker and like your results, please share your recipes and techniques.

Here's a BBQ Smoked Beans recipe we really like. Naturally, it has some Jack Daniels in it.

Thank you for the recipe...sounds awesome, can't wait to try it. A question...is there a reason you use the throw away pans versus a cast iron type dutch oven? Maybe its the size, or weight? or maybe clean up...just wondering if I can use my favorite old seasoned dutch oven...thanks again!!!
Hi Everyone. I just got my smoker Amerique and I cant wait to start using it every week. I just posted a question under new topics asking about cooking ribs in tin foil for the final 2 hours. My cousin has an older model cookshack and is a long time smoker. He swears by this method of cooking pork ribs for 3.5 hrs and then putting them in tin foil wrapped shut for the final 2 hours. I havent seen this method on the website. Any thoughts on this or opinions.
Thanks
Vicki,
Thanks. That was very intersting. I have 2 slabs of pork ribs, so I am going to try one in the foil and leave the other out. That way I can compare. And i thought smoking was going to be so easy. Just put it in, turn it on and wait for it to be done! lol. This is tougher than grilling with all these decisions. I cant wait to try them when they are done. Happy New Year to everyone.
LOVE TO BBQ HUNT AND FISH BUT SEEMS LIKE I SPEND MORE TIME WITH SMOKER,ITS ADDICTIVE.HAVE HAD A LOTS OF DIFFERANT PITS OVER THE YEARS AND I AM NOW READY TO TRY COOKSHACK 750,BIGGER THAN I NEED BUT PRICE IS RIGHT.PERSON I WILL BUY FROM IS GOING TO TAKE TO COOKSHACK AND HAVE THEM GO THRU FOR ME.MAYOR OF WICKENBURG,AZ AND IN UP DOING MANY FREE EVENTS TO HELP COMMUNITY.WHEN YOU LOVE TO BBQ AS I DO YOU WILL FIND ANY EXCUSE TO TURN ON SMOKER.MY WIFE SAYS,CAN WE EAT ANYTHING THAT DOESNT HAVE SMOKE ON IT,NOPE, NOT IF I AM DOING COOKING.
I am Jerremy. Just a country boy from Alabama. I own my own company Southeastern Investigations,Inc. I am a private investigator but love to smoke meat. I posted earlier but I guess that I posted in the wrong place. I think I posted in the open forum sorry guys like I said I am new to all this. But I just recently got my first cookshack sm025 and I am very pleased with it. I have owned BGE and WSM but I like the set it and forget it ease with the cookshack. I can't say enough good thing s about it. Just wish I had bought a bigger smoker.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.