Skip to main content

Hey everyone!!

I've gotta say, after creeping the forum for product reviews, pics and help in deciding which smoker to get, you all swayed me. My AQ is on route to Toronto and I can't wait to get smokin'!

Im thinking for the first smoke,after seasoning of course, doing 4 pork butts. Is that a bit aggressive for the first shot?

Cheers and a preemptive HEY to you all!!
I'm 59 (today) and fired up my first pure smoker today. The outcome was outstanding.

quote:
Originally posted by Poochie:
Got my 020 yesterday for my birthday. Have a butt on it as we speak. I've had the Egg, offset smokers, barrell pit, stainless steel propane smoker, Weber performer and so on.

I used to sell BBQ at fairs and festivals in this area. If I would have had a Cookshack back then, life would have been so much easier.

Since I'm probably one of the oldest on here (55) I still realize I can learn from the accumulated experience on this forum.

Patience and a remote meat thermometer will get you through a lot of BBQ problems.
This Brinkman is a grill, but am going to be using one of those small cast iron wood chip boxes placed under the grill right on top of the end burner. It also has a 5th burner "searing" area, not sure why that's needed, but I'll try anything once! Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Did you get a smoker or a grill?
I used to smoke stuff on my grill this way. I found the following helps:
- 'Seal' the cracks around your grill's hinges and cracks with foil to help retain heat and smoke. Better yet, if you can get a 'welders blanket', which is fireproof, you can lay it over grill to help seal it.
- The little metal smoker boxes are OK, but I fond using wood chips wrapped in foil to be more effective.

I used to do some fantastic baby backs this way - just keep temp low and slow !

quote:
Originally posted by jackdsmoker:
This Brinkman is a grill, but am going to be using one of those small cast iron wood chip boxes placed under the grill right on top of the end burner. It also has a 5th burner "searing" area, not sure why that's needed, but I'll try anything once! Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Did you get a smoker or a grill?
If I cover the whole thing up, where does the smoke escape from? I know there has to be somewhere for it to eventually leak out, right? Going to be nice this weekensd, so the Saturday I go in before lung cancer surgery, we are going to try and ask the butcher at the store what is the best cut to smoke for my first time? Wish me luck!

Jack
quote:
Originally posted by astronorick:
Exactly ! I was going to sugest harbor freight, which is where I got one. Really helps in breezy weather also.

quote:
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll have to look into one of those welders blankets, are they kinda spendy?

Would this work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6...g-blanket-95015.html

Jack
Jack - don't worry about the smoke escaping - it will find it's way out - even through the welding blanket. The blanket will be well smoked too, but don't eat it. For your first smoke, a Boston Butt (pork shoulder) can be awesome - it's a very forgiving piece of meat. Smoke it around 225 degrees temp - will take about 12 hours or so. Your looking for an internal temperature of 195 degrees. Typically, you'll find it hit's the 170 degree mark in 6 to 8 hours, than 'stalls'. The meat will stay at that temp for hours, while the fat and connective tissue are breaking down. Then the temp will slowly start to rise again, which you'll want to watch for the 195 degree internal temp mark. Then remove the butt, wrap tightly in foil, and over with towels in a dry cooler for at least an hour, or maybe 2. It will still be way hot, but moist and easy to pull apart !
quote:
If I cover the whole thing up, where does the smoke escape from? I know there has to be somewhere for it to eventually leak out, right? Going to be nice this weekensd, so the Saturday I go in before lung cancer surgery, we are going to try and ask the butcher at the store what is the best cut to smoke for my first time? Wish me luck!

Jack
quote:
Originally posted by astronorick:
Exactly ! I was going to sugest harbor freight, which is where I got one. Really helps in breezy weather also.

quote:
Thanks so much for the tips! I'll have to look into one of those welders blankets, are they kinda spendy?

Would this work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/6...g-blanket-95015.html

Jack
First of all, welcome. I'd like to add one more thing. If u cook the butt to 195 it will be ready to pull as soon as its cool enough to handle it. The reason you would FTC it (foil, towel, cooler) is if you were not ready to eat and you want it to stay hot. If you want bark I would suggest not foiling it, as the steam softens the bark if I ha e to foil it.

Just my experience.
Thanks for the info again! The widfe just did a pork shoulder in her crock pot just last week, so was thinking more along the beef/roast line. Really looking forward to seeing that "smoke ring" like I always see on those PitMaster shows on tv.

I was thinking like maybe a chuck or ?, 3 to 5 pounds just to start with, and splash with worchester sauce and then rub some old store bought "Grill Creations Steak Dust" on it.

I will pick up the welding blanket today, that sounds like a great tip! Might be tough to hold off eating that too, but I'll do my best! Confused

Any wood type suggestions? I think right now I have apple and mesquite in the garage. Maybe a mix?

Always open for suggestions!

Thanks again for all your help!
Thanks Vicki, always open for any suggestions, and thanks for the "welcome" too!

Oh, this is what I woke up to this morning! Mad

quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
First of all, welcome. I'd like to add one more thing. If u cook the butt to 195 it will be ready to pull as soon as its cool enough to handle it. The reason you would FTC it (foil, towel, cooler) is if you were not ready to eat and you want it to stay hot. If you want bark I would suggest not foiling it, as the steam softens the bark if I ha e to foil it.

Just my experience.
Last edited by Former Member
Wasn't that long ago it was like that here in New Jersey. I bet a chuck roast would be yummy! I have never tried it. I think I just found my next smoke. I need to find some posts on here for that. As far as the smoked pork in crock vs smoker, big difference in flavors, depending on how u sauce it or not.

Going forward, Im guessing Smokin would appreciate a new thread in the proper section. Let me know if you find any good chuck info before I do.

Vicki
quote:
Thanks for the info again! The widfe just did a pork shoulder in her crock pot just last week, so was thinking more along the beef/roast line. Really looking forward to seeing that "smoke ring" like I always see on those PitMaster shows on tv.

I was thinking like maybe a chuck or ?, 3 to 5 pounds just to start with, and splash with worchester sauce and then rub some old store bought "Grill Creations Steak Dust" on it.

I will pick up the welding blanket today, that sounds like a great tip! Might be tough to hold off eating that too, but I'll do my best! Confused

Any wood type suggestions? I think right now I have apple and mesquite in the garage. Maybe a mix?

You can try some Chuckies. Those are quite tasty and pretty easy to do.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...=960100274#960100274
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1020264/m/7062943517
Picked up a round bottom round roast today and am going to give my first try at smoking this Saturday. But did save the link to those Chuckies, will try nezt time, they look awesome!

Thanks again for your tips!

Jack

quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
quote:

You can try some Chuckies. Those are quite tasty and pretty easy to do.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...=960100274#960100274
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...1020264/m/7062943517
Last edited by Former Member
New Cookshack SM025 owner here in Wyoming. I've already had great luck with spare ribs and I've posted a pic yesterday of my brisket in the Open Forum. Though I've been smoking for over five years, I'm happy as can be with my early results with my new smoker! The wind is howlin' today, nothing new to this neck of the woods. Will be interesting to see how or if the wind affects my upcoming smokes.

Take care.
Age doesn't lessen the desire for real smoked meats. I'm 77 and just replaced the thermostat on my 11 year old 008, starting about 10 PM I smoke cooked a brisket for 15 hrs. @ 225 then went to 150 to hold until my Father's Day early dinner. Used about 2oz. hickory and a competition rub. Everyone that tasted the brisket said it was better than any of the local joints sell. I've always called the CS my "Magic Box" because that's what it does; perform magic on meats. Most of the cooking time was spent sleeping and regular Sunday morning activities. No standing over the pit with the CS.
Been a member since Feb 02. Bought a SM055 then and its still smoking good!. My dear wife is treating me for Father's Day / Birthday to a trip to Pnca City in July for the cooking school. I'm excited!! Had too much smoke couple weeks ago from Black forest fire. 3 miles from home. All OK.
Hi, My name is Mark going by the name Elkman on the forums. I have never smoked a thing but I am getting ready to start. I have a 066 on its way. I have been reading the forums to try and figure this new toy out before it gets here. Been using the search for a lot of my ?

I live in northern az.
Been reading the forum for a week, but this is my first time posting. Why Tally Torch? I live in Tallahassee, FL, and years ago, I started a small brush fire (but on an military base)so some of my buddies started calling me torch. So, I thought it might be appropriate for my smoker nickname.
Unpaid? Of course! You mean some people get paid for this?
Anyway, just posted on the open forum asking for critiques and advice on a turkey smoking test I tried yesterday on my new CS 25. Title is "Turkey Smoking Critique". Appreciate any and all critiques.
After lurking a few days thought i would join and introduce my self. I'm 44 and 2 months ago I sold my lawn and landscape business I owned for the past 14 years in Florida and decided to give my passion for cooking a shot and try and make aliving at it. I bought food trailer that was built, passed inspections and in service with the last owner the only thing missing is a smoker that I plan on installing inside. The trailer is already equipt with a commercial hood system so smoke exhaust is not a problem. I have been searching craigslist like a hawk trying to find my first cookshack smoker. After watching multiple videos on youtube I really like the fast eddy fec 100 but I'm open to other models as well. If anyone on here is considering selling theres or you come accross one for sale, please let me know. I look forward to being a member here and contributing to the forum for many years to come.
Best Regards
Art
They call me Flatlander and I'm a newbe on here. I had been smoking with a tin can "Old Smokie" for years but it's about shot so I purchased a SM45. The 45 is like a Ferrari compared to the VW I been smoking on. Haven't used it yet getting a custom made cover for it can't wait though. It looks like it's built like a tank and will outlast me I'm sure!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.