Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry, ran out ot time last night for the details.....but here they are;

1. Preheated Smokette to 250
2. Added fresh rosemary and garlic to the smokebox.
3. Put roast in (it was 45 degrees internal at the start) and brought to 118 degrees (approximately 2 hours; I also let the roast sit on the counter for 2 hours prior to cooking to take the cold edge off).
4. Now here's the trick; once it hit 118, I turned the heat down to 150 (left the door open a bit to cool it down inside). From there, the temp rose to 132 over the next hour, and then I held it at 132 for another 1.5 hours. This, I believe, allows the juices to redistribute to the edges of the roast.
5. Lastly, I put it under the broiler, turning to crisp each side (about a minute per side).

I put a pan underneath the roast to catch drippings, but there were none. I think this method helps the juice remain in the roast.

Regarding rare, it was 132 degrees internal, 135-6 at the edges before going into the broiler. It wasn't so much that it was rare, but that it was juicy. I can tell you this; I have used this method many times (read in a post from Stuart), and I can tell you, it's terrific. The end product is SO much better than a dry, chewy chunk of prime rib I usually experience in restaurants. It was incredibly juicy, with terrific flavor. I suppose the quality of beef also had something to do with it. I usually have great results with Choice cuts as well. This cook was just a primer for Chistmas day, when I will do an 8 pounder.

Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
Not to be argumentative but to the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a "select prime rib." "Prime," "Choice" and Select" are three very different grades of meat.

On to the "Prime" rib! Big Grin

prime rib usually refers to the cut and not the grade. Otherwise there'd be a lot of food joints sued for false advertisement.

Yes, I know it sounds stupid to say prime prime rib. But I didn't make it up. Big Grin Big Grin
Well that is how it goes. Restaurants, especially chained, are there to get your money. Prime rib is supposed to be just that, Prime grade, unfortunately, it is not that simple anymore. You are correct though. Most times we get charged prime price for sub-prime rib roast. Just as soon do mine at home and know what I got, prime or not. To most cooks, prime rib is prime grade rib roast and anything less than prime grade is just rib roast.

Off the stump.

Big Grin
Russ, really good lookin' stuff. Good to see you around.

Yeah, we won't talk about Beef terms, gets confusing (start asking people what's the difference between a deckle and the point) Big Grin

Prime rib:
The USDA rules of marking state:

quote:
PRIME RIB OF BEEF OR STANDING BEEF RIB ROAST FOR PRIME RIB:
These products do not have to be derived from USDA prime grade beef.

The rules for you interested:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/larc/policies/policybook.pdf

Now, when I buy, I buy a Standing Rib Roast, Bone in. If the butcher is doing the cutting, you can start talking ribs, short end, etc.

Me, I go for minimum Choice, prefer Prime and I age it in my contest fridge for 40 to 45 days. Wet aging works well on that stuff, but only better grades. And you need to buy the full roast, in the cryovac to that Air hasn't gotten to it since it was sealed.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.