1 Sweet Onion, Chopped
6 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Star Anise, Ground
1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
4 tsp Whole Allspice, Ground
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Dried Thyme

Pretty Simple, combine everything and let it marinate over night. Currently the Chicken Thighs are in the smoker with 2 and ½ ounces of hickory and about 1 and ½ teaspoons of whole Allspice in the smoke box (I put the Allspice in a small, glass Pyrex bowl). I am cooking the Chicken at 225F until the internal temp is 175F which I am thinking will be about 3 and ½ hours.

I'll post some pictures when the bird is done, I love Jerk Chicken.

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not that I'm a great lamb fan,and with our island communities I do cook a lot of jerk-but IMHO you would be wasting one,or the other.

Lamb probably ought to be lamb,med rare ,with some garlic and rosemary and olive oil.

Chicken is a great foil for taking on flavors and lends itself to jerk.

Pork does well,also.

Just my $0.02
Last edited by tom
Seasoned the smoker for 3 hours and then put the thighs in. They were done in 1.5 hours. Yes they could have marinated longer and they did mainly taste like smoke. All in all I would say it was a success. The meat was very moist and tender. Putting in a pork butt in a couple hours. Trying to figure out if the fat cap goes up or down in the smoker. It's been rubbed and waiting for me in the fridge. By the way I ended up getting the black smokette. Later>>
It might be done by noon. More like 1400. If you gotta work today, just turn it down to 200* when you get up and let it go like that all day. If it is not at 195* yet when you return from work, turn it up to 250* until so. This first cook with fatty pork is more for seasoning so it probably won't be as good as your next butt.

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.