Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

More than likely, you will love it. I know I love mine. But it may depend on what you were cooking on before. If you were cooking on a stick burner, you won't get then same amount of smoke. FEC is a lighter smoke profile, but no one has ever complained about the amount of smoke in any of the que I've served. And they sure do win their fair share of awards in comps.
So the pork burnt ends turned out great. However, I wasn't pleased with the pulled pork. I used the pre-program #2 with CS Hickory pellets. At the end of 13 hours the internal temp was 162. I kicked the temp up to 160 and extended the cooking time. After 17 hours total I pulled the pork - it was at 197. It was very tender and juicy, but honestly there wasn't much smoke flavor. To me it was almost a creosote smell/flavor. My wife thought it was the best I'd made - as did the kids. After a full day of smelling the smoke, perhaps I just couldn't taste it myself? Any thoughts from you experts?
I do similar to AndyJ with one change,

A unique feature is cook for time then hold. But there is a variation.

Set your temp at 180 for say 8 hours. Set your hold temp for 250 (or whatever higher temp you like) and at the end of 8 hours it will cook at the higher temp.

I put mine on late evening, sleep in and check the temp when I get up. Monitor it closely the first time or two to make sure all goes well.
You'll find the lower the temps. The more smoke the FEC will put out. If it is giving you more smoke than you want you may try running at a higher temp and the way through, maybe a straight 225 cook without the jump to finish. And I am not a big fan of the hickory personally. Lately if I am looking more smoke, I have going with a pecan mix. The FEC's are great but you will have to tune in the way you like to use it to fit your flavor profile your looking for.
Hickory has been my favorite with the electric - SM045. I'll have to give pecan a try. Using cherry today for some twice smoked ham. We'll see how that goes.

From the comments I've received it seems as if experimentation is the path forward. Looking forward to the journey!

I read a comment in an old thread about the drip pan - making sure it's not blocking air flow. That may have been an issue for me in my first cook - have to make sure I check that today.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.