Skip to main content

HI Ya..all new to the forum and new to Smokers

Well finally broke down and ordered a smoker. Hoping I made the best choice with the SM020. I am a BBQ lover in need of a fix. Once the snow storm here in CO stops I can get the thing out on the Patio and start the seasoning process.

The smoker arrived today along with a box of hardwood to get started. Being a woodworker I only ordered what I can't cut from my wood pile, LOL. Anyone try smoking with exotic woods? I would not want to ruin a pork butt trying out some new smoky flavor from hell. If anyone has let me know as I am curious.

I do have some questions. I figured out that I need charcoal to get that smoke ring but I have also read that getting skin to crisp in the electric smoker may be a problem. Because the new SM020 has a higher temp range does this mean I can crank it up at the end of the cooking cycle and get a crispy skin on something like a chicken? If any one knows please let me know.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

All your questions will be answered hundreds of times in the FIND at page top.

Input your question,open all forums,lay in firewood for the winter,and read the next six months.

If you can't find an answer,let us know,and someone will point it out.

One REAL quick thought will be that learning to cook the product,will be 97% of your success.

The exotic woods,might contribute another 0.5 %.

Immediately,ignore all the thousands of tricks.

If you find me incorrect,in five years,call me and I'll buy you a bottle of your choice.

Enjoy.
I put in few exotic Woods in the find like you suggested. rosewood, ebony, purple heart, mahogany and guess what nothing?

I found some info on the chicken but I was interested in the SM020 and the new temp range of 300Deg. Wondering if anyone tried this yet? Since the smokers new there is not that much information specific to this model.

I guess i can experiment but why have a forum then if the answer is use the find function and read a book?
Someone was commenting about the temperature range with a chicken and the older Smokettes. I believe that final comment was he would try setting it at high for the full cooking time rather than try and slow cook chicken then crank it up to crisp. Not sure it is the best way to cook chicken in a smoker.

I Picked up a remote thermometer so I can certainly set the temperate range and alarm to one that allows me to crank up the heat for the final crisping.

From what you have said and other posts it seems like I am on the right track.

As far as forums go you have the usual suspects where ever you go. Pretty easy to pick them out.

Not a dictionary I like that one. Wink
Often ,we each may have small incremental variations in our needs and questions.

Sometimes, previous threads may answer several of the variations.

Sometimes,one question leads to another,that the thread might answer.

Sometimes, a thread might answer a question about the next situation that might arise,which could be an off time,and no one is available to answer.

Sometimes, there may not be a specific answer to an exact cooker,with the exact cooking altitude,the exact procedure followed,the exact volume of product,or weight of individual pieces,the exact cook's taste-but by reading the thread ,and experimenting a little-the cook can come up with a suitable approach.

Then there are the times that someone may ask a question and nobody answers,after a few days.

This,sometimes ,brings a complaint about no answer.

These are forums,but I've noticed that if the same question gets asked enough times,previously,some forum members don't bother to answer the question.

Then,also,the moderator may suggest the questioner try multiple approaches,take good notes and share the results with the forum.

Just a thought,thus most of us offer to answer specifics,after someone has checked other sources of info.
I build guitars so I have many different exotic woods in my shop. Cutoffs are abundant and rather than trash them, I could cut them up for the smoker. The ones mentioned in the previous reply are a quick list.

What woods have you heard about?

FYI: I ran the smoker this sunday, cooking a Boston butt froms Sams club using the standard hickory wood that came with the smokette. Everything worked just great. I did season it for 4 hrs the day before.
Don't quite know your definition of "exotic woods," just make certain that they bear fruit or nuts.

As to differentiating "what wood was that smoked with," I doubt that 90% of folks could tell the difference between oak & hickory - cherry & pecan - apple & plum. Now they can tell the difference between heavy, medium & light woods, but the variety, I doubt they could.

Be safe with your woods. Some could give an undesired reaction!

Have fun Big Grin
I don't believe most exotic woods are fruit woods. Exotic meaning they are not domestically grown and are imported.

I am sure I may have a hard time(at the moment) determining what woods are smoking. That is certainly not the case with them visually. I have burned a far amount of product in a fireplace so I may actually have some hidden experience. I may just have a smoke off to see what comes out of the smoker with my wood collection, no meat of course. Since exotic woods vary greatly from domestic varieties the smoke may be pleasant given the various amounts of resins in some woods. Or they may also be horrible.

I was more interested in crisping chicken than the woods and just threw it out there for the hell of it. I didn't know that it may be a subject of interest that is not normally discussed.

I can already see it now, I smoke the best dam Zebra wood pork butt you have ever tasted, LOL
Folks might want to slow down and reread wheelz comments,as he is a cook.

Something to consider ,is the difference in our sense of smell and taste.

The bourbon cask wood chips put off a fine aroma,while standing a few feet from the source.

Can we tell the difference,after an 18 hr smoke?

Can we taste,or smell the difference?

Is our sense dulled,or does it make a difference?

What will we wager?

It is amazing how many bartenders,will bet double -or nothing-the patron can't pick their fine brandy,compared to charcoal lighter,when mixed with their favorite Dr Pepper substitute. Roll Eyes

At contests,"these experts that aren't willing to take the time to grow their knowledge" are sought out,to get in the side bet pools.

Can a just barely average cook,using salt and pepper,and whatever pieces of wood they found along the roadside,win contests against the cook with the exotic woods,the exotic flavoring rubs,the exotic injections,and the exotic sauces they spent days preparing,when they don't learn to cook the product?

Hmmm,enquiring minds want to know.

Could be, why good cooks go to the FIND,at page top,and actually learn something about the process.

Many of those folks,we welcome referring to cooks. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.