Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Traditionally they wrapped well in wet leaves of the Ti plant and slow cooked until it steamed apart.[Shoulder or butt]

You could oven cook in foil and get close.
Banana leaves will work on butts.

In the whole hog pits they would layer bottom with hot rocks,Ti leaves,pig,Ti leaves,hot rocks,wet burlap.

Most are pretty disappointed,after they have had decent pulled pork.

Drinking the fermented distilled juice of the Ti plant makes it taste better.

It is something like Okoleehau liquor.

Emeril on the Food channel probably has his approach,coating it with essence.

Hope this helps a little.
My first spoke went great. I didn't try anything tricky.. I put the "cookshack pork rub" on the butt the night before. I put the pork butt in the smoker at 5:30 am (used a small piece of wood), got home, checked it at 4:30 pm with my Taylor probe it was at 180 or so... I got the temp up to 195 by 5:30 pm, took it out, double wraped it in foil for 30 min, Pulled, and served with some sauce on some white hamburger rolls.... There wasnt much bark, but it was GREAT! It was a big hit.
Jeff,

You can get plenty of bark in a CS, my thought would be if there wasn't a little sugar in the rub, then you'll only get a little bark from the actual smoke itself.

Take a 50% to 50% mix of rub to turbinado sugar (also called sugar in the raw). It's granular like kosher salt and last a little longer. Brown sugar is okay, but for me, it darkens too much.
Here is Emeril and Sam,the island's foremost chef doing one.

Hawaiian Luau: No-Imu Kalua Pig
From Chef and Author Emeril Lagasse and Sam Choy
Friday, May 18, 2001

A Hawaiian luau wouldn't be a luau without the roasted pig! From Good Morning America's Emeril Lagasse and Hawaiian chef, Sam Choy, the traditional pig and everything to go with it.

Ingredients

8 lbs. pork butt
4 tbsp. Liquid smoke
4 tbsp. Hawaiian salt
8 to 12 large ti leaves, ribs removed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2. After scoring pork on all sides with quarter-inch deep slits, about an inch apart, rub with salt, then liquid smoke.

3. Wrap the pork completely in ti leaves, tie with string and wrap in foil.

4. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan with 2 cups of water and roast for four hours.

5. Dissolve 1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt in 2 cups boiling water and add a few drops of liquid smoke.

6. Shred the cooked pork and let stand in this solution for a few minutes before serving.

Recipe copyright Sam Choy �1999; from Sam Choy's Kitchen cookbook.

More Recipes for a Hawaiian luau

I can see Smokin's mouth waterin' now. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.