Skip to main content

Smokin's new toy got me interested in knife sharpeners again.

I looked at the edge Pro system and it looks very interesting.

To date I've not been real happy with the guides on the market that I've used.
I've tried:
GATCO owned one.
Razor-Edge owned one.
ChefsChoice my neighbor has one.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the Edge Pro's, Tomek T-7 and any other sharpening devices you've seen or used worth owning.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are a few responses to my post.

I've been looking for years, as the good systems are expensive, and I've never heard anything bad about Edge Pro's.

Haven't heard much about Tomek T-7.

May reason I went with the model I did is because I needed the Scissor attachment for my wife's co-workers (Professional hair dressers).
Most people don't know how to use a steel properly, and if they do they don't use it often enough! (I end up hiding my favorite knives from my wife for this reason)

After trying electric sharpners, Stones, Grinders, etc. I take my knifes to a professional to have them ground. Using a steel before and after each use keeps my knives sharp for a year or more of constant use.

If you can't find a professional with a band grinder, call your favorite fine dining restaurant and ask the kitchen who does their knives. Most have an individual coming in once every few months for sharpning.
quote:
Originally posted by Bacchus2b:
Most people don't know how to use a steel properly, and if they do they don't use it often enough! (I end up hiding my favorite knives from my wife for this reason)

After trying electric sharpners, Stones, Grinders, etc. I take my knifes to a professional to have them ground. Using a steel before and after each use keeps my knives sharp for a year or more of constant use.

If you can't find a professional with a band grinder, call your favorite fine dining restaurant and ask the kitchen who does their knives. Most have an individual coming in once every few months for sharpning.

That's exactly what's I've done for years, it was from $3 to $5 per knife, did them once a year and then steel'd it the rest of the year.

However...

I'm a guy and I love bbq toys, so I had to get THE knife toy. I figure I have well over $1,000 in knifes (I'd hate to count) so I'll give this a try.

MM, congrats. We'll be learning together. I got some practice knifes set up for this weekend.
I'm a little new to sharpening knives. Prior to getting CS fever I never sharpened anything. Just pressed harder or bought a new $6 one.

Question:

Does anybody still use a strop on their knives? I have a few thin blade Shuns and was wondering if they might benefit from proper stropping.
I have been read about stropping. In my very limited understanding, it seems that stropping may be just as beneficial as using a steel after each use.

I remember as a kid, going into a barber shop and being intrigued as the barber would strop his razor prior to each shave.

Google strop, stropping as well as youtube. Some interesting stuff on the issue.
I got a set of Wusthof (Grand Prix) Knives when I got married and I steel them after every use. They where still very sharp after 5 years. I really could not believe how well they hold an edge. I know regular steeling is the key. I just sharpened them and man they are even sharper, but I never thought that they were dull, ever. I like to steel all my knives after I clean them. That way you always have a sharp knife ready to go. You must never put good knives in the dishwasher. Everyone talks about which is better, but really when you get up to the high quality ones, they are all good and will out last you if taken care of. The sharpener I use is the Chef's Choice M130 Professional. I know it is electric. I was so against getting anything electric, but too many people told me so many good things. It really is an excellent sharpener. I have only used it once over a year ago. It did an incredible job. Just make sure you are steeling before or after each use.
Last edited by crazysmokinlarry
I use a FireStone sharpener, from McGowan Mfr Co. It is electric and puts a hollow-ground edge to the knife. Bought it from Target on-line as usually not available in their stores. Around $70 or so. A little steeling between the sharpenings keeps the edge sharp. My brother, a charter fishing boat skipper uses one for his cleaning & fillet knives.
quote:
Originally posted by redoakNC:
I'm a little new to sharpening knives. Prior to getting CS fever I never sharpened anything. Just pressed harder or bought a new $6 one.

Question:

Does anybody still use a strop on their knives? I have a few thin blade Shuns and was wondering if they might benefit from proper stropping.

Here you go.

First, you can send your knives to our Kai USA facility in Portland, Oregon. We will be happy to restore the factory edge to your blade for as long as you own the knife. There is no charge to you for this service, aside from the cost of mailing the knife to us. We will sharpen your knives and return them to you via the US Post Office. Please include a return address as well as a telephone number so we can contact you if needed.

To have your knives sharpened, send them to:

Kai USA ltd., Shun Knives
WARRANTY DEPARTMENT
18600 SW Teton Avenue
Tualatin, OR 97062
I like it, don't love it ... yet.

Still trying to get the specifics down, some knives seem to love it others I just have to practice a little.

It's getting the "angle" figured out (trying to do the black magic marker doesn't seem to work all the time)

I haven't called them for any tips.

Any tips?
Okay, I went for it and got the Edge Pro Apex 4. I decided to go with the stock stones for now. This is one of the best purchases I have ever made, next to my Cookshack. I could get a nice sharp edge with my Chef's Choice, but nowhere near as sharp as I can get now. Crazy Sharp! There is something satisfying about making an edge sharp by hand. Highly recommend this sharpener.
As far as model, unless you are going to be using this on a daily basis the APEX is all you need. The PRO will not sharpen any better. Which APEX is really up to you. You will be able get all your knives plenty sharp with the Apex 1. I ended up with the Apex 4, but can always buy more stones and tapes. I recommend getting the ceramic hone. It is really great for serrated blades. His DVD is on his website, so don't worry about not getting that. His stones are priced very well and are really all you will every need. They are very high quality. Ben is great. If you have any questions he is there to answer. In fact just shoot him an email with all your questions and concerns. He will help, and not in a salesman like way either. His product does all the talking. All I can say is I have never had knives this sharp. You can even go nuts and put a mirror finish on if you wish. Making a great edge, is like making great BBQ. Great things come from a little time and patience. Oh, and yes, SCARY sharp is good. Very good.
Last edited by crazysmokinlarry
Me?

I'd start with the basic kit unless you really need the extra sharpness. You will get Crazy Sharp with the regular stones, but if you need Stupid Sharp (my term Big Grin ) then get them. You can always add more stones later if needed.

I just checked, looks like it's only $50 more over the sale price. They have an 8 pack of Chosera stones for $200.

Sounds like the kit is the way to go now.

MM, I like the leather strop idea. I don't have one, you have one to recommend?
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Me?

I'd start with the basic kit unless you really need the extra sharpness. You will get Crazy Sharp with the regular stones, but if you need Stupid Sharp (my term Big Grin ) then get them. You can always add more stones later if needed.

I just checked, looks like it's only $50 more over the sale price. They have an 8 pack of Chosera stones for $200.

Sounds like the kit is the way to go now.

MM, I like the leather strop idea. I don't have one, you have one to recommend?

"Stupid Smart" is that another way of saying you cut yourself either during or after sharpening? Roll Eyes

Guess I best stay away from that kind of sharpness else I may have difficulties counting to 10 (or 20 Frowner).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.