Skip to main content

Here we go. Using BluDawg's method and recipe.

5.26# of Leg of goat.

Deboned. Ain't the best job in the world, but it worked.

Got 1 Tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp lemon pepper and 1 tsp rosemary on the inside and salt and pepper on the outside. All tied up.

Tucked in a blanket of bacon, sprinkled with Big Ron's HoH and cookin' at 225 F. Sorry Ron didn't get a pic of that, but it happened.

What to do with the bone?

Problem solved. Watch my fingers!!!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks Russ.
It's a local manufacturer and they are in a plain 40# plastic bag. I think they also do private label packaging. Not sure.
These were Red Oak Cooking Pellets. I was out of Hickory and Mesquite. Time to make a road trip.

Thank you Maine-iac for all of the compliments. I have learned so much from this forum, so I am happy to give a little back when I can. That's what it's all about.
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Yup, got a sharp knife, handgun, shotgun, rifle and a bow. Just aren't any free roaming here in NJ.

Although, now that you mention it, we are right next to farm country here and someone must be raising them for other than milk.

Let ya know what we come up with!

I'm willing to wager that goat meat is a little easier to come by in your area than you believe. Goat meat is the most widely consumed meat in the world, but you need to think ethnic when sourcing it. The regions best known for their use of goat include Middle Eastern, North African, Indian, Pakistani, Mexican, and Caribbean. If you have ethnic population pockets nearby, check the local markets. Also, ask ethnic restaurants that serve goat where they get it. Caribbean, especially Jamaican, restaurants would be a good start.

It's out there but you need a dig a little to find it.
Vicki - You might want to try the farmers markets in your area. On my side of the river, the weekend farmers markets often have vendors from upstate New York who sell farm-raised meats. One of the farms that raises goat is Stone & Thistle, located in the Catskills. They sell at a farmers market in Croton-On-Hudson that is just a few miles North of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Here is a link to their site: Stone & Thistle Farm
Thanks nysmoke. I will look into it. I am fairly close to you. I forgot what part of ny because i did look it up when padre posted that map of our locations. We frequent the ny area and are only.like 40 min. from Warwick, we go to gander mountain which is less lqn an hour. and we go to the Renn faire whixh is less than an hour in sterling forest up in Tuxedo. We r right on the border of the nj counties that boarder Ny. We love it. I grew up in NY in Queens area though until I was 17...

We have thise markets here too. And all the farms are from Sussex Cty whuch is one that boarders NY.
Vicki - I was browsing through the NY Times archives for some goat info and came across a place you my want to check out. For some unknown reason I can no longer post links on the forum, but go to goatworldnj.com. It's located in Pittstown, NJ, which may or may not be close to you. They sell goats for breeding, show, as pets, and they also sell goat meat. Even if they can't help you they may be able to direct you to a local source.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.