Skip to main content

Great forum and I need some advice. I read the thread http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4091028883/m/2501049044 which discussed Smokette capacity. I just bougth an 008 and Dennis-UT said he has smoked 4 butts and a brisket at one time. I only have 2 8+ lb butts and a 10 lb brisket. If I use all three racks do the butts go on the 2 lower racks staggered so the smoke /air flow is not restricted with the brisket on the top rack? I would also assume the butt on the lowest(3rd rack) would cook faster than the butt on the middle(2nd rack).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's a pretty good guessing game which rack gets hottest and which butt will cook fastest. Mine gets hotter higher up. I would put the brisket down low and the 2 butts on a higher rack. The butts will render fat and baste the brisket. As long as air/smoke/heat can flow around the meat and move out the top vent hole, no problems. Probe the largest butt if you only have 1 probe. Take it to at least 195*. It is OK if the other butt gets hotter than that. The brisket will be fine as long as it has a good fat cap on. You can probe the brisket and cook longer if needed after the butts are done. 4-6 oz. wood should be enough for the entire cook. Plan for a 20 hour cook, although it might be shorter, if you're lucky.

Cool
I would think you could put one on each shelf. Put the two butts up higher and I would probe the top one. I have done two butts at once like this and they both looked the same when the top one went to 195˚. Be prepared to go up to 20 hrs with your smokette set to 225˚ for the butts to get to that temp. I don't know about the brisket some posts say they get done in 6 to 8 hrs. ( I haven't tried one yet).

Unless you are cooking for a crowd this first time with your 008 may I suggest that you do the butts seperately that way you can vary the smoke session by what you learned or tried from the first one. I have had fun seeing what the difference between one that is done to 185˚ (It didn't get done as quick as expected, it was my first smoke) verses 195˚. Different rubs, more or less wood...etc...

Either way I know it will turn out great. It is hard to mess up entirely with the Cookshack.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.