Skip to main content

I have a real old '150', so old it's a '101', but it works really well.
Ive been doing ribs in it and would like to know how others do ribs in this smoker.
I want to cook at 275, but find that at this temp, the ribs can get away from you in the cooking, and you have to rearrange the ribs so that most are done at the same time.
So, my question is, "How do you load the smoker for ribs, and what do you find is the temp that seems to give you the best ribs?"
Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had a 150 for quite a while.

I do them at 275 so can't really give you a different temp.

So let's discuss what's going on and how to fix.

Do you like the taste/texture at that temp?

How many of what type of ribs are you loading?

Are all of the ribs the same size?

Have you ever temp mapped you smoker to find out where the hot spots are?

The last two are the key to your solution. Knowing the rib sizes as well as where the hot spots are will get you there.

Let me know and I'll help however I can.
Hi Smokin
Thanks for the reply.
I cook both BBs and Spares, and do try to get all the slabs approximately the same size.
I have not temp mapped the smoker yet, but will be cooking a few slabs on the weekend so will do the mapping before the smoke.
So far, I find the bottom shelf too hot for me to cook the ribs without burning the outside.
I will get back to you after the smoke as to the mapping.
So, you'll find differences in BB and Spares, had to get them the same size. I don't like spares as small as most BB.

Do the mapping, that will help know where you're hot spots are.

Yes the bottom shelf is hottest, but that can be good when you have larger cuts in. Put briskets and Pork Butts on the bottom shelf BUT put the fat cap down (as insulation).

Let me know WHAT you don't like about what you're doing now and I'll help figure it out.

Russ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.