Skip to main content

My Daughter and Son-in-law are on a low carb diet. They said they really miss BBQ sauce, so I started doing some research. I settled on using the dry CS Spicy BBQ mix. I sautéed an onion and half a bell pepper that were both diced fine. Hunts makes a low carb Ketchup. I used Splenda brown sugar substitute (this is a Splenda and brown sugar combination and you use half as much of it to replace the brown sugar). I also used half the amount of molasses by replacing it with Black Strap Molasses. The Sauce turned out very nice. I did some figuring and this sauce should have had just a little less than 3 grams of carbs per 2 table spoon serving size. Sweet Baby Rays Original is 14 grams per 2 table spoons. It got 2 thumbs up from my Daughter and Son-in-law. Works for me.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Vicki:

I used the bell pepper because my Daughter does not like “Hot stuff”. Took me years to get her to eat anything with black pepper on it. I have to be careful when I am cooking anything she will be eating. I modify my rubs and sauces to accommodate her taste. This means that I cut back on the amount of hot sauce, cayenne, and red pepper flakes I use. I thought about using a jalapeno or 2 in this sauce, but settled for the bell pepper. The sauce turned out to have a good taste. Not overly sweet, slight bite, a little taste of vinegar, and a little smoky.

Padre: There is still a little sugar in this sauce. I didn't use it on the Beef Back Ribs I did while they were in the smoker. I served it on the side. I don't know if the little bit of sugar would burn or not. The sauce was good on the ribs and didn't over power the taste of the smoked ribs.
If you are looking for a sweet low-carb bbq sauce, this one is my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjca1POpFwg

Low Carb BBQ Sauce by Kent Altena
(derived from Big Al's K.C. Bar-B-Q Sauce Recipe - Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients
* 1 cup Reduced-Sugar Heinz Ketchup
* 1 cup tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup Splenda or liquid equivalent (preferred)
* 1/2 cup vinegar
* 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
* 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
* 1 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* Dash of chili powder
* Dash ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Makes ~3 Cups of BBQ (approximately 48 1TBS Servings at 2g net carbs per Tablespoons)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.