Skip to main content

I was recently put on a low sodium diet and personally, I think it sucks! I love grilling, especially steaks & burgers. "Montreal Steak Seasoning" was my "go-to" for steaks.

Can you recommend a salt substitute or low sodium rub/marinade that you like. I've tried Mrs. Dash and it just doesn't do it for me.

TIA for all responses & to Smokin for creating this grilling forum!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Wheelz. Good to see you're still lurking.

Why not google steak rub recipes, find one that looks good and adjust with half or no salt. Here's some I found.

I've been making rubs for years, and I've always cut the recommended salts (or eliminated them) by 50% or more. Some great commercial rubs out there, which I still buy, but then we're stuck with the salt the creator throws in it.

Be careful with pure salt substitutes. Here's a caution from the Cleveland Clinic.

Hope all is well with you. Good luck on your search.
Last edited by pags
Just thought of this one. We love this Santa Maria Tri Tip rub recipe and use it on all cuts of beef:

Santa Maria Rub

1 tablespoon black pepper, fresh-ground
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon salt

It's very distinctive, low in salt. Cut the salt in half or eliminate it. I don't notice the salt and think it would work well without it.
Thanks for the recipe, MaxQ. I'll give that one a shot & probably try Pags Santa Maria as well.

Tom - I didn't know Julie by the name you posted but certainly do remember jappledog. Good gal. I'm gonna give Lo Salt a try. It had pretty good reviews on Amazon. I'll admit up front, nothing's gonna match the real thing. Gotta try something tho.

Thanks all...
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
I was recently put on a low sodium diet and personally, I think it sucks! I love grilling, especially steaks & burgers. "Montreal Steak Seasoning" was my "go-to" for steaks.

Can you recommend a salt substitute or low sodium rub/marinade that you like. I've tried Mrs. Dash and it just doesn't do it for me.

TIA for all responses & to Smokin for creating this grilling forum!

What % is considered low sodium?
quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
I was recently put on a low sodium diet and personally, I think it sucks!

Wheelz,

LS diets do suck, trick is to use salt on proteins and things that just need it and try to cut out all processed foods that are loaded with salt. Whole food snacks Like fruits and veggies leaves room to use your "allowance" on your meats and things that just need salt. 2000 milligrams of sodium is not a lot of salt, just over 1 teaspoon. Everything pretty much has some sodium in it but if you watch its not that bad, (well maybe it is) Like others have said the salt replacements on the market do work, they just take some getting use to.
Last edited by wilber
As Wilber say, one teaspoon of salt is 2300mg! (Low salt diet = <2000mg/day) With a regular US diet of 4 to 5 teaspoons/day! No Salt substitutes use potassium chloride substituted for sodium chloride. Hyperkalemia (high blood potassium level) has occurred in people with poor kidney (renal) function using No Salt products with resultant complications including cardiac arrest. Other more common (& less life threatening) side effects of potassium chloride are bad aftertaste & dyspepsia (heartburn).
Now for some controversy:
If you can tolerate MSG (monosodiumglutamate/Accent) you can significantly cut back on salt without sacrificing flavor. A little goes a long way. Consider adding the salt/no salt/MSG at the end of the cook. You will use a lot less.
MaxQ - Tried your recipe this afternoon on some grass-fed NY Strips. It was "spot on." I took my first bite & the Mrs asked how was it. I said "incredibly close." She said "no way!" She then took a bite and couldn't believe what she was tasting.

Made two changes: I don't do heat well, so we cut the cayenne in half. Dusted the steaks & added a sprinkle of LoSalt.

Thanks, MaxQ! I owe ya one, buddy... Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.