Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bob-

With a "better" cut of meat, such as sirloins, prime ribs etc., there is no need to go low and slow. For an ECB, I'd go wide open. Some of the bigger CS's have temp capability in the 350* range if I'm not mistaken, and that's preferred for lean meat. If your ECB is anything like mine, too much heat won't be a concern! Big Grin
Bob,

Hippie is is right. A good quality (i.e., USDA prime or choice grade) standing rib is not very lean, it is thoroughly marbled, that's where the flavor, tenderness and juiciness comes from. A rib eye steak is literally a standing rib roast cut apart into steaks.

There are some excellent recipes for smoking a standing rib roast here on the forum.

A sirloin comes from a different part of the beast and often is leaner and not as tender.
We were probably talking about a smaller Cookshack,where the max temp is 250�,and that will do a decent job of adding smoke and not drying out.

When you get above that,it is difficult to add smoke-if that is a goal.

As mentioned above,a good standing rib should have a good bit of internal marbling and a decent fat cap.

A sirloin tip,often has neither.

The short term high temps,work pretty well with most larger chunks of meat.

Watch the sugar in your rubs,as they will burn.
It came out pretty good - I smoked it between 250-270 for ~2 hours until it reached 120 internal, then into the 400 deg oven until 135, then onto the counter until 145 at which point I sliced.

It did not have much marbling - you're correct - but it did have a fat cap - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 in. thick.

I used a salt, pepper, garlic and cinnamon rub - no burning at all Smiler

It was more tender than roast beefs I have eaten in the past (oven-cooked), but certainly not as tender as the 3 standing ribs I've done. Anyways, another win for the smoker ... Smiler
I ain't gettin something here. Why exactly are the roasts going into the kitchen oven after taken out of the CS oven? The Smokette does a very good job with a standing rib roast or a prime rib roast from start to finish. I would think other CS ovens will also.

Bob, if your standing rib roast did not have good marbling, I hope you didn't pay a premium price for it. I am wondering who you are saying is correct in the above post, and about what?
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Barrows:
[qb]...It was more tender than roast beefs I have eaten in the past (oven-cooked), but certainly not as tender as the 3 standing ribs I've done. Anyways, another win for the smoker ... Smiler [/qb]
I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

Sirloin tip and Standing Rib Roast aren't even close in tenderness so they won't come out as tender.

If it came out tender with this method, that's great. Probably more tender than hot cooking over flames.

Thanks for the report.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.