Skip to main content

What are you paying for pork/brisket in your neck of the woods? Went to the local restaurant supply store (Cash&Carry) a few days ago and their special was boneless pork legs @ $1.99/lb. Picked up a small 14 pounder. Brisket prices made me cringe- they had a few CAB choice marked down to $3.29/lb to move them, but the regular price for their IBP select grade is now $3.74/lb. Decided to buy one 15 lb. for another day- it'll be a while before I buy another.
Hoping you all had a good Labor Day weekend-
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Things are crazy here too. Briskets over 3.50 at Wal-Mart, buts 2.68 on sale at the local grocery store. Luckily, Wal-Mart has what they call 'st Louis cut' ribs have been holding at 2.99 all summer. I've cooked them a few times, but they are in 8 percent solution and I think kinda salty for my taste plus, they just don't come out right for some reason. If I read hog futures right, prices should be coming down, but who knows. Beef, not for a while. We have a couple of cattlemen in our church who are lovin life right about now.

I kinda wonder if it's some kind of tree-hugging vegetarian conspiracy to make us all eat healthier.

Feed prices are even on their way down and I still can't grow my own pork and eat it myself for under 2.50 per pound if I have someone else process it. I charge 6.00 per pound for our farm raised USDA packaged pork but there just not enough margin there to make a living.
Cal, interesting on the Duroc ribs. I have not tried my Tamworth ribs, but they will probably go in the stock pot, as the packer didn't leave any meat on the one rack of spares or the baby backs when he pulled then side meat and loin. I may just smoke them up just for nibbles and grins and cook treats. All the rest of the tamworth meat has been excellent. We'll see.
Wonder when the insanity in the cattle market will end? Several groups of 400 wt steers brought over $1700 this week at our local sale barn. The feedlot that bought them said they had the feed, the employees need a job and they want to buy 30,000 head so their banker agreed it's better to keep the wheels turning and fill it and lose $150 per head than to not fill it and have the ripple down affect in the community. These were going somewhere in Oklahoma but I can't remember the towns name now.

I thought I'd never live to see $4 per pound calves but I guess it's happening! This will work itself out but someone will lose their butt along the way.
From another thread:

Several threads have commented about beef prices, so I did a quick online search and found the top three reasons cited were: 1) significantly smaller herds due to years of extended drought in the west, 2) higher feed costs due to corn shortages from government ethanol requirements, and 3) increased demand from foreign markets, especially Asia. For what it's worth.
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
From another thread:

Several threads have commented about beef prices, so I did a quick online search and found the top three reasons cited were: 1) significantly smaller herds due to years of extended drought in the west, 2) higher feed costs due to corn shortages from government ethanol requirements, and 3) increased demand from foreign markets, especially Asia. For what it's worth.

Sounds like you covered all the bases. I tend to mostly blame commie tree huggers for forcing 40% of the corn crop to go for making ethanol. Ethanol is for drinking not for ruining cars.
Not to get political and pollute this forum but if you look at NOAA data, the average global temp hasn't increased in 16 years, despite massive increases in atmospheric CO2. For what it's worth. That said, the climate is definitely changing, as it always has. Data is everything, as usual. We all have to deal with rising beef prices, and that is real. What do we do about it, is the question.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
from the butcher shop/locker I visit....

prime brisket(packers)...4.19/lb by the case

Pork butts.... 2.00/lb I get to chose which pack

Duroc ribs.....4.19/lb by the case

nice guy, heck I make sure I take them a package of comp leftovers every now and then... Wink

Cal,
I've seen some post of yours on this forum and noticed you were from Freeman, MO. I am from Belton and recently became a new owner of an FEC 100 that I purchase at the Royal this Oct. I'm hoping/planning on trying a few comps this next year. If you don't mind if I ask Who/where is the Meat Locker you are working with? Is it Peculiar Meat packing? I'm not familiar with any other around our area. Any help would be great.
Thanks
Greg
Thanks Smokin', I did catch it though I don't have my notification on. I sent a PM, but will follow up here.

Yes, Peculiar meat market will work with the comp cooks, you just have to buy full cases of special order items. When buying cases of Creekstones you tend to have 3 comp briskets and 2 that are not what I would want to use for comps. I throw those in my freezer and when someone wants brisket, they sure cook well for that.

You should have seen the reaction when I catered for a group of 200 at the Royal this year and they got to eat prime briskets Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Thanks Smokin', I did catch it though I don't have my notification on. I sent a PM, but will follow up here.

Yes, Peculiar meat market will work with the comp cooks, you just have to buy full cases of special order items. When buying cases of Creekstones you tend to have 3 comp briskets and 2 that are not what I would want to use for comps. I throw those in my freezer and when someone wants brisket, they sure cook well for that.

You should have seen the reaction when I catered for a group of 200 at the Royal this year and they got to eat prime briskets Smiler

I'll bet they got a treat. I was fortunate to spend the day with the Hawg with a Heart, Operation BBQ Relief folks at the Royal on Friday this year. Taking a Ribs/Pork and surprise Brisket class with Sweet Swine o Mine, Boars Night Out, Natural Born Grillas and The Shed. Really really a good day.

Nonetheless I say this to say that was the first time I got to try a Wagyu brisket and compare side by side with a restaurant depot brisket. Holy Cow!!. I've read this fall many people saying "don't cook the Wagyus", its not needed but I'll tell you what if the people you are competing with are cooking Wagyu's and cooking them well there is no comparison. I was blown away by the flavor, tenderness etc. Mark Lambert isn't a bad cook either.

Thanks again for the response Cal. Hopefully we'll catch up with each other at a contest. I'm going to call Charlie tomorrow and see if he can get me a last minute Standing rib roast.

Thanks Smokin' for the heads up. This started with ultimately my first post and wasn't sure if I should PM or start in the thread. Found you article/class on the Prime101. Good info. Thanks
Pork butts were $1.29 this week which is the lowest I've paid in a year but the brisket took a big jump. $3.84 for the choice certified Hereford. That's up $0.32 in one week! I've been seeing some notices of price increases on a few major BBQ restaurant Facebook pages this week. I was hoping we had seen the peak but now I'm not sure.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.