Skip to main content

I just got my SMO25 and am attempting to cook a pork butt. Seasoned it two days ago for 6 hrs. with 2 pieces of the hickory that came with it. Well, this morning tossed in my 6lb pork along with 2 pieces of the hickory. Plugged in the meat probe and it registered 92 then 195 and finally HI without it even being inserted in the meat. It does this no matter what I do. Any suggestions?

Also, when I seasoned it almost no smoke out of the vent at all. Today with meat in it, it's coming out the dang door there is so much. I assume I shouldn't be getting that much smoke. Maybe it has to do with the door being open a number of times while I tried to fix the probe. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You might want to stick the probe in boiling water and ice water and see if you get the correct temperature readings.

The smoke is normal, so don't worry. You don't get much smoke during the seasoning because there isn't anything cold in the smoker. The smoke coming out the door will also decrease the more you use your smoker.

You can also you the "find" feature on the forum which will also help to answer any questions you have.
quote:
Originally posted by bigdogs:
Sounds like the probe is bad.
Sounds like it too me also. When you get a new probe, purchase a spare also. I have several spares and a backup unit just for this scenario. A probe can misread if wet inside metal jacket. Never submerge wire end of probe body in water.

quote:
Smoke should not be coming out the door. Better call and get the door fixed or a new unit.
Umm... No. This is pretty normal and expected.
Last edited by Former Member
Sorry you're having issues. Always good to test new units during the week, in case you have questions, then you can call CS.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdogs:
... Smoke should not be coming out the door...

Not true. If you have a read through the owners forum or the "lessons for new users" you'll find that the units will tend to leak smoke when new until the "seasoning" fully takes effect. This is by design. It's impossible to fit the door perfectly and with a few cooks the seasoning seals it up just fine.

Call CS about the probe.
Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. My 6lb pork butt turned out great. Glad I ended up putting it in at 8am this morning because it didn't finishing until 6pm.

The probe is obviously defective but luckily I also bought an additional therm. with the unit so I wasn't empty handed. Looking back on it I should have tested it during the week as SmokinOkie suggested but you live and learn. Most importantly I ate some great pullled pork tonight for dinner.

Cheers,

Dan
BTW: Dunking the finished product in the vinegar mopping saunce is what really made it spectacular. 5 forks for that reciepe!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.