Skip to main content

I'm going to need a meat slicer eventually. I want to slice the bacon and Canadian bacon and hams and turkeys that I smoke, as well as cheeses and frozen raw meat for jerky.

I'm not impressed by the quality of the lightweight home meat slicers I've researched. Does anyone have a recommendation for a "small" commercial slicer, or a home meat slicer that is made to commercial standards?

I've searched archives, and didn't find much about slicers. If I buy commercial, I'll be looking for something small and not too heavy, as I will have to move it in and out of storage. And probably used too.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Trucky and Qnorth, how big of a piece of meat can your slicers handle? Whole smoked turkey breast? What about slab bacon? Does the meat carrier travel far enough to slice through a typical 12 inch long bacon slab?

Have you ever tried slicing raw meat, like partially frozen bottom round for jerky?

Do your slicers work well with cheese?

Are any critical bearing or wear parts made of plastic? Do the slicers do what you wanted them to do? What do you use them for? Are you satisfied with your slicers? If you had it to do again, would you buy the same one, or a different model?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.
Looks like you have to have a really big slicer to handle slab bacon. Most of the slicers I'd be able to move around (under 50 pounds, lets say) don't have the travel to handle it.

But for $555 you can get a commercial Berkel slicer that weighs 29 pounds. It has a 9 inch knife. The one with the 12 inch knife is a bit larger and heavier (41 lbs), and $950. Both of those are belt drive and have 1/4 HP motors.
I have tried two versions of the Heartland America sixty dollar slicer, one from the catalog and another sold as a store brand. If it is under one hundred dollars, rest assured, it will not work.

To slice anything other than bologna, you are looking at a five hundred dollar investment. Far too much for my intended purpose of giving buck bacon as a gift.
Been waiting patiently for a deal to come along on a good quality slicer but time is running out. Anyone ever tried Advantco's? Their 1/3 HP 12" model is only $499 w free shipping but what concerns me is it says right in the description that it is NOT suitable for slicing cheese or raw meat. I guess they want you to use it on butter? Makes me wonder if they are a cheap China knockoff that are really low quality.

My next choice would be a Hobart of course but I can't afford one, so seriously considering the Berkel's. There seems to be a huge difference in price between the A series and the E series. Only thing I can see different between them is a slight difference in cutting thickness capability and the huge price difference.

If anyone has a Berkel 827E or an 829E, I would appreciate some feedback on it. Or if I am missing something about the A series, please enlighten me.
In my 30 year run at the restaurant I've used a Berkel (forget which) and a Globe 12". Both were gravity feed and performed well. I still have the Globe.

Cheese creates a LOT of friction and wears on the motor. My suggestion would be to stay with a trusted brand, Hobart, Berkel (Vulcan) or Globe. The Chinese knock-off will probably last a year or 2.

Slicers are sold with 8, 10, 12, + inch blades. In choosing one you need to determine the largest item you're apt to be slicing. Will it fit on the slide arm tray? Will the throw of the arm (front to back movement) allow enough room for a full pass? We slice a lot of boneless Prosciutto...some slices are over 10"...a 8" or 10" knife would be too small.

I'd put a LOT of weight on service. Whatever you decide on, be sure there's someone in the area that can supply parts and service the machine---just in case.

Look up www.bigtray.com I buy a lot of equipment/smallwares from them. Give them a call after perusing the web site. The staff are knowledgeable and will guide your decision.

Good luck.
Webstaurantstore site has the Berkel 829E for $1368 w Free Shipping. That's a 14" slicer w 1/2 HP motor. Up to a 5/8" slice. Thinking I will end up with one of these??? Waiting on a couple of call backs on used Hobarts. Going to have just as much or more in them though even though they are used.
Ended up with a Berkel 827E w 12" blade on it. Haven't sliced any cheese with it yet but it has plenty of power for the ribeyes I sliced with it today. Be patient!! Picked one up off of ebay for just under $400, vs new for close to $900. I think the biggest concern would be the condition of the blades on these used slicers. Some models cost up to $350 just to replace the blade!
I research slicers till I can't see strait. I haven't wanted to spend a fortune on this item. I wanted a slicer that can cut 1" thick. EdgeCraft 610 does. The more expensive models 667 (etc)have less cutting thickness. I guess I will try it & watch for a deal on a better quality that has a decent thickness adjustment.

For decades I used a very reliable Rival electric slicer.  It has never let me down and it still works very well.  Last year I decided I needed (wanted) something with a blade larger than 6 inches  The Chefs Choice 600 series are very popular and in looking over them, I opted for the 665.  While there is no smooth blade for it, the design of the serrated blade is such that it handles all tasks remarkably well. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.