Skip to main content

I purchased a SM150 off of Craigslist last night. It was a whirlwind crazy afternoon, negotiating and driving 2 hours to get the unit. When I arrived the SM150 was humming along smoke coming out of the top. Temperature was holding at 225 and verified with my thermometer. When we opened the unit and the smoke cleared, I saw that there was a baffle in the bottom position!!! I asked him what it was and he said it helped distribute the smoke evenly and you could fry on it. I almost lost it! I had trouble containing myself to not laugh. He then showed me all of the racks that came with it. 3 Rib racks, the kind that slide in and are made from cookshack. 2 Seafood grills and 4 SS racks. The unit looks brand new. He told me he used it twice and put it away back in 1996. You can see in the pictures that he probably left the baffle in the bottom position during his 2 smokes, as the seasoning of the smoker only occurred below it. So basically I got a brand new SM150 from 1996.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Keep looking Maineiac. It took me a little over a year...and I bought the first one that ever showed up, yesterday. I really think the stars were aligned or something. Southern California doesn't seem to have the following of cookshack that most states have. I am pretty lucky.

I doubt too many people even list thier cookshacks on craigslist. I have two now and am really considering keeping both.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
Keep looking Maineiac. It took me a little over a year...and I bought the first one that ever showed up, yesterday. I really think the stars were aligned or something. Southern California doesn't seem to have the following of cookshack that most states have. I am pretty lucky.

I doubt too many people even list thier cookshacks on craigslist. I have two now and am really considering keeping both.

I saw an FEC100 in Texas last month for $1500 that was tempting, but I didn't go for it. I'd have to rent a trailer and drive from FL to TX and back. Not much money saved there.
stick that "Cold Smoke shelf" in the freezer, and put a pan of ice on top of it. You haven't had good smoked cheese until you smoke it yourself. Smoked pepper jack, and good Swiss are my favorites. I love them both when served with really good ripe and crisp apple slices. Smoked cheese is always good grated over a green salad, or pretty much anything else.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.