Skip to main content

Since I have received my SM025 I have cooked:
A whole chicken: it was excellent but the skin was rubbery and was given suggestions on how to do improve that if I want to.

A Porkbutt: I purchased an entire butt (19lbs), cut it in half and smoked half of it. I used the Cookshack pork rub and it turned out excellent. I cooked it for 13 hours to 195 degrees and we ate pulled pork for a week. I never opened the smoker, just let it run until the Maverick read 195, took it out, rapped it in foil and pulled the meat after 2 hours.

A full Salmon: used a sugar/salt dry rub found here - rinsed it off after 4 hours and used more of the rub pretty much sans salt and smoked it for 3 1/2 hours at 215. It was the best Salmon we ever had and served us for another 2-3 meals.

Beef Chuck Roast: Here I got crazy after my wife suggested I try smoking an English Roast. I found Smokin's "chuckie recipe" for rub and cooking and followed that (I used the Cookshack brisket rub). After 5 1/2 hours smoking of 230 til 190, I cubed it and served it up. It beat the snot out of any Pot Roast alternatives we had.

Finally the rest of the Porkbutt: this weekend I smoked the rest of the porkbutt (9lbs) and used the JJ Dry Rub recipe and Smokin's finishing sauce and it was the best yet. That dry rub added so much flavor and the apple juice based finishing sauce was given rave reviews by my relatives. I started it at 220 degrees at 10pm and cranked it up to 240 at 11am the next morning and pulled it at 1:30pm when it hit 197 degrees. I let it rest until 3pm under foil, pulled it and served it around 4pm. We will be eating it on Tacos, etc for a few more meals this week.

Next up: Baby back ribs - researching recipes now. I'll smoke them this weekend.

Thanks to all of you for making this my gastronomic hobby that my whole family enjoys and Penzy spices for providing the ingredients for the rubs.

This Smoker has been a life changer in terms the quality of food we eat and my passion for cooking in general. For those that haven't jumped in the pool, do so, you won't regret it if you enjoy eating good food and making your family happy.

I bought a remote thermometer (Maverick 732) and it adds to the experience as you can sit in the comfort of your favorite chair and see your food cooking.

Good eating and good smoking!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

i second the suggestion for spares. takes a total of five minutes to trim the rack to st. louis cut and pull the membrane. lots of tutorials for this on the net. (butter knife and paper towels work great for the membrane)

we did a two racks of spares and four of loinbacks on the holiday weekend. the spares were preferred by all the guests.
Pags comments point out how tastes are individual and how somebody's preferences may not be similar to others. Remember it is YOUR tastes that count. Keep good detailed records of smokes, rubs, meat, etc. and you can tailor your smokes to just what YOU like. I assure you that you will develop a new appreciation of what you can do with a Cookshack.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Try both type of pork ribs. All is good. Wink

I have both. The BB's came from a sale at the grocery store and are not frozen so they are next up.

I have about 10lbs of spares in the freezer that will come out before the summer is over.

I tend to like spares better too but the wife prefers BBs so we will both be happy in the coming months.
quote:
Originally posted by Chef-Boy-Arnie:
And when you’re ready to try some old fashion comfort food try a meatloaf

Meatloaf? Oh, man...I just made three in a row. Talk about good eating! The last one was a ground turkey meatloaf. Smoked meatloaf is definately better warmed up the next day.

Formed them in a bread pan, let 'em set overnight to meld flavors and take shape. Turned 'em upside down onto frogmat and smoked 'em. WOW! Some ol'good...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.