Skip to main content

Well, we just finished eating the first meal cooked on my 009. It was two slabs of BBRibs. I rubbed them with one Tablespoon each of rub the night before. I cooked with 3 ounces of Apple wood. I cooked them for 4 3/4 hours (without looking). When I took them out, the Polder showed the internal temperature was 185 degrees, and the meat had pulled back about 1/4" from the end of the rib bones. I was somewhat horrified at how much they had shrunk.

The results... My family and I agreed that they were "good" to "very good". Not the best ribs I have eaten, but definately good.

There are two areas I would like to improve, and am hoping for some input. 1) They were not as tender as I was hoping for. I don't know if this is my cooking or the particular cut of meat. The meat was not falling off of the bone. 2) They were not quite as moist as I would like.

All in all I am very happy with the results, but would like to improve the two area above. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

3 oz of wood seems like alot for 2 slabs of ribs, but I reckon your Smokette is not seasoned very well yet.

Next time try rubbing the ribs with mustard, then rub, but wait until about 30 minutes before putting them in the smoker. You can preheat it while you wait. Also, you might try using less salt in the rub. Do them on 215-225* for 5 hours next time and I think they will be closer, given a close proximity to the same product and amount.

Cool
Don't lose sight on what sounds like a very good FIRST cook in a smoker. Congrats!

quote:
Originally posted by dmevis:
I was somewhat horrified at how much they had shrunk.

1) They were not as tender as I was hoping for. I don't know if this is my cooking or the particular cut of meat. The meat was not falling off of the bone.

2) They were not quite as moist as I would like.

Ribs shrink. Sometimes they'll do a 1/2 or more; other times, almost nothing.

1) Cook them longer usually is the answer. Fall apart ribs actually mean they're overcooked, so you need to cook them longer for the meat to tenderize

2) BUT....cooking longer can dry them out. Depending on the fat content of the ribs themselves they may dry out. Good fatty ribs will not dry out as much as those without. look for ribs with lots of good fat in them. Several methods to help. Basting, saucing, etc. Most common on is people like to foil. Some that use that method can jump in with thoughts. Wink

You'll get some ideas here, just keep experimenting.
I haven't made any ribs on the my new CS and have made many racks in a Weber Bullet & the foil wrap is a trick that will tenderize your ribs & make them fall off the bone. After not more than 3 hrs, I don't think they will get any more smoke flavor, I then give them an apple juice squirt & wrap'em up in foil for another 2.5 to 3 hrs. They will be pulled back from the tips & falling off the bone. If they are to done for you, next time wrap'em for maybe 2 hrs. Oh, and that is for babys, I dont know about the larger spare ribs. Good luck.
I'd like to suggest that you learn to cook ribs to suit you ,just like the cooker was designed.

The traditional Cookshacks are moist cookers and many cooks will open the door a couple of times to let moisture out.

Yes ,their are a lot of "tricks" in the reading,but some may not be necessary,and some might even get in the way. Big Grin

Just a couple of thoughts.
I posted the foil wrap trick & I don't think everybody agrees with the method. At competitive smokes some use it & some don't - it's like Tom said a personal thing to suit you. The Weber Bullet used previously, was a damp type smoker also with a water pan above the heat, but still I liked to finish babies with a wrap finish to keep them moist & tender. Keeping the door closed a really good idea, but when checking other cuts it isn't always possible unless you have several remote thermometers & don't apply any mops or sauces. Keep trying slightly different methods and one will suit you. Good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.