Skip to main content

Anyone have advice on how I can smoke in the rain?

I don’t have the space, money, or skill to build a Rubbermaid or wood cabinet with chimney like the “show me yours” section of the forum. I do not have a garage and I can not do the indoor trick with open window and pipes.

Currently… When it rains and I am smoking I put a blue tarp (from Home Depot) over the top of my smoker. I have a small hole in the tarp which I line up/put over the smoker vent hole. I then use a 90 degree elbow as a vent over the smoker vent hole and tarp vent hole. This messy solution is cheap and easy. It will prevents rain from entering the smoker and keeps the electronics dry. HOWEVER, if the wind picks up things get messy. As you all might know, when it rains it might also get windy.

I am looking for the something…
easier and cheaper then building a shed out of wood or pre-made Rubbermaid shed
AND
better and more expensive then a tarp with an elbow.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You might consider taking the measurements of your smoker and going to Home Depot ect. and getting help in building a frame out of PVC pipe and fittings. You could cover it with your tarp on three sides and top, leaving the front open. Get cheap plastic grommets so you can weight it down using what is available. Hope this helps. Don't forget some duct tape.
Tom
I've used the old storm window like Tom suggested, it is fast and easy.

I also have used a cheap mortar mixing tub like you can get from Menard’s or Home Depot.
The heavy black plastic/rubber mortar mixing tubs are cheap and they double as a place to soak your grills in to make cleanup a lot easier
I have the old stainless steel 009 with just the thermostat black nob. I just use a cookie sheet over the top with a spacer in the front top to keep a couple inch gap above the hole. I put a couple of bricks on top of the sheet to keep it from going anywhere. Been doing this for years in rain, snow or sleet with no problems. I have the cs cover when not in use and keep the door slightly open so no mildew might build up. It has been stored this way on my uncovered deck for about 4 years. It,s stainless so it hasn't rusted at all.
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo. Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo. Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo...

I'm smokin' in the rain
Just smokin' in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again...
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for love...
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face...