Skip to main content

hello forum folks,
I need to thank all you contributors for the excellent advice I read off of cookshacks forums over the past few weeks.
I recieved my cs50 oct.3 and produced two very tasty pork butts over the weekend.(my mother-in-law even complimented my cooking)
My next project will be spare ribs this weekend. I think i can get them cooked alright but I need a good rib dipping sauce recipe. Got to impress the mother-in-law and she won't eat ribs without a dipping sauce.
Smokin okie, your vinegar mop(finishing sauce) for pulled pork really did the trick.
thanks, big-a
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Smiler

Here's the standby recipe that I use. You can find it in several places on this forum but here it is so you don't have to look for it.

It is a slight variation of Jim Schroeder's Use For Any Meat Sauce. I use it for dipping as well as brushing on ribs during cooking. It goes equally well on pork, beef, chicken, etc.

Ingredients:

2 to 4 cups catsup (smaller amount makes a thicker sauce)
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup any red Wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic (freshly cut and minced)
� cup American mustard
� cup liquid smoke flavoring (optional)

If you don't like using liquid smoke you can smoke the sauce in a shallow tray, stirring occasionally, until you achieve the desired amount of smoke flavour.

Method

Cook until consistency is like a thick syrup.

Below is a link to a BBQ sauce forum where there are several other very popular sauce recipes, including the one you see above.

BBQ Sauces

One of these should suit your needs.

G'day,

Eeker Micah Eeker
thanks micah, the recipe you provided sounds promising. It will be my first attempt at a dipping sauce, this very weekend.
Tom and Smokin, you guys are right. I have no direction to start my dipping sauce search. A local bbq shack had a rib sauce that I intend to duplicate. But, they sold out a year ago and took their recipe with them. My taste buds are not advanced enough yet to break down the ingredients of a sauce I might taste. I know the sauce I want was red,medium thickness, it had a tanginess in the middle with a good hot bite at the end.Oh well, not much to go on.
Thanks for the links fellers, they look like they will provide me with some good ideas for my dipping sauce trial and errors.
big-a
Mornin' big-a,

Since you are cookin' for the momma -in -law this weekend,you might want to shortcut one time.

If you have a SuperTarget store in the surrounding area,they carry Texas Rib Rangers' Spicey bbq sauce.

Some of the Superwalmarts west of you have been known to carry Head Country sauce.

These are mighty fine,right out of the bottle.

Allegro is another sauce out of your area.

Here is a post from back when,before Smokin' learn't me how to compute some.

I apologize for the format,but the rub and sauce still do me well.

Memphis Rub and Sauce

Another approach for this weekend is go to your local supermarket and check the sauce shelves for which is the best sellin' sauce.

Take a bottle home and taste it.

If it needs sweet,add a little honey.
If it needs sour,add a little vinegar.
If it needs a little heat,carefully add a little bottled hot sauce or cayenne.
If too thick,add a little water.

A lot of fine cooks take this approach.
remember, your sauce should blend with the 'q'. i suggest this......

1q catsup
3tbs rub(same rub as your 'q')
1/4 cup brwn sugar(or honey)
1/3 cup worstershire sauce
1/3 a-1 sauce
1/2 cup cocacola
1/4 cup store bought smokey bbq sauce
1 tbs mustard
a few drops of lemon juice
combine all, heat to simmer, cool. dont over cook! spice it up with a little cayenne or tabasco or habenero...
My first ribs were a great success. This cookshack is simply amazing. Perhaps the bbq joints in my area arn't that great but the pork butts, last weekend, and now the ribs this weekend were far superior to anything I have purchased at any local bbq joint.
Micah, thanks a bunch for that dipping sauce recipe. I was very pleasantly surprised and received many compliments from the family. You and the rest of the people on this forum are so very helpful. I'm going to say it, I know you guys are too modest, but your all a bunch of bbq geniuses.
Many Thanks, big-a
Congratulations on your success Big A!!!

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the dipping sauce recipe. How did you do your ribs? I got my Smokette in December last year, and after a little experimentation, I came up with this method for doing my ribs. I normally remove the membrane from the back of the ribs then rub both sides with mustard. I then apply a good coating of cookshack rib rub (or your choice of rub). I try to leave them covered in the fridge overnight, and then smoke them for 3 hours at 220 with 1 to 2 chunks of hickory. At the 3 hour point I brush both sides generously with sauce and foil them, then I put them back in the smoker for another hour or 2. The ribs should be falling off the bone by this point. I usually serve them with extra sauce for dipping.

Smokin' Okie recommends spritzing ribs with apple juice every time you open the door to prevent them from drying out. I have never tried this, but it sounds like a good idea. Another idea I have heard is to put a coffee tin full of apple juice in the smoker. The aromatic steam helps to moisten the meat as well as flavor it. I have never tried this method yet either, but I am going to soon, since many commercially built smokers are designed with a built in water pan. You can use any liquid you want, to vary the flavors.

Congratulations once again on your success. Let us know if you have any other questions, someone on here will definitely be able to help you out.

G'day,

Micah Cool Eeker
It is quite a lot of work, and you don't have to do it, but when it is cooked it gets papery and it also hinders the smoke from entering the meat and it doesn't let the sauce stick to the meat. The method I use is one I learned here on the forum. Take a butterknife and slide it under the membrane in the corner. Lift up the membrane with the knife until you can get a finger or two underneath it and then you should be able to pull the rest of the membrane off easily as long as it does not tear. It is quite labor intensive job and takes a while, but if you have the time it is worth it. I don't always do it, but it is better when I do. It is just a matter of preference. I used to use needle-nosed pliers to pull it off, but this was more difficult and I couldn't get my dad to leave them in the kitchen and not use them in the garage.

G'day,

Micah Cool
Big Grin LOL...OK, thanks Micah. I have smoked one batch of back ribs and they were very good with the membrane on. I will try to get it off them myself next time. I think I am going to smoke alot of ribs for my Mother-in-law's b'day Sunday after next. She still has good teeth...LOL Did you see my rub and glaze recipe I did on the roast? Dude, it is good! Razzer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.