Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This is our own Jim Minion's & Jack's recipe.

It is famous around the country,and rightly so.

I have used it a lot.

Posted by Jack on June 28, 2003 at 03:27:40: Cardogs� Award Winning Salmon

Try this recipe and see what you like best.
Jack
Smokin in the rain

Cardogs� Award Winning Salmon
This recipe won a Reserve Champion ribbon at the Canadian BBQ Championship in 1999 at New Westminster, BC and 2002 2nd place at the Pacific NW Regional Championship �Anything But� Competition.

3 lb. filet of salmon - boned (preferably Sockeye or King)

Dry rub:
1 C light brown or turbinado sugar 1 T dill weed
1 C non-iodized salt 1 T summer savory
3 T granulated garlic 2 t tarragon
3 T granulated onion

Finishing rub:
� C light brown or turbinado sugar 1 t summer savory
1 T granulated garlic 1 t tarragon
1 T granulated onion

Buy a fresh salmon filet, sockeye or king if available. Bone the filet using tweezers or needle nose pliers. Do not remove the skin. Place in a glass or stainless steel pan.

Mix all ingredients and pack on the flesh side of the filet. Let the filet rest for 3 hours. Rinse the filet in cool clean water to remove the dry rub and pat dry. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes, until the flesh becomes tacky.
Heat a BBQ grill to medium to medium-high. Sprinkle finishing rub on the filet (twice what you would use as if you were heavy salt and peppering). Cook with the lid closed to 155*F measured in the center of the thickest part filet.

We recommend using a wood to produce smoke while cooking. On a charcoal grill, just sprinkle a few wood chips on the coals. On a gas grill, place wood chips in a pouch made of aluminum foil. Poke holes in the top of the pouch and place it on the hottest spot under the grill. Alder is our wood of choice, but fruitwoods are a wonderful substitute.

The BBQ Forum Copyright � 2002
smoked salmon

1/3 cup suger
1/4 cup non-iodide salt(i use a little less)
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp. tabasco sauce
1 cup dry white wine (cheap wine glen ellen)

mix all that and place salmon in it for 24-48 hrs. in refridgerator then rinse off under cold water lay salmon on paper towels then put in refridgerator uncovered let it dry out a little like 6-8 hrs. i smoke mine with cherry wood 2-3 ozs. jeff
Here is a quick & easy way I use to make salmon. I buy canned, drain off the juice, slide the whole amount out of the can onto a pie tin & smoke. I know this is not fresh salmon, but makes a good end product-and mix it in the same manner as you would when making tuna salad-you will have an exellent spread to put on crackers......... Big Grin
Hi Ed, I haven't been smoking for years like the experts on this forum but I have learned one thing....There is no quick and easy way to do anything "low & slow" except maybe throwing a couple of Dungenes Crabs in the smoker that have already been pre cooked, cleaned, & sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning.
Having said that, here's what works for me and what my family on both coasts says is "absolutely the best smoked salmon Period!" ( I'm not sure that they know anything about smoked salmon but it sure made me feel good and now they want me to UPS smoked salmon to them )
I start with a skinless salmon filet ( I don't like the oily taste that the skin imparts) from Costco and apply Andi's dry brine for 12 hrs refrigerated. See seafood archives under "Andi...Salmon Filets" in response to a question asked by Tom. Just follow the recipe given including the maple syrup part of forming the pellicle...I'ts important. Then I smoke at 150 degrees for four hours with 2 oz. of hickory and 2 oz. of apple.
You won't be disappointed!
Good luck & let us know how it works out.
Bill
Depending on what you want to do with the end product, here's a really simple recipe that works:

Thaw a fair sized salmon filet.
Put on CS rack skin side down.
If getting fancy, season with pepper and/or dill.
Smoke at 175F with about 2oz birch or alder until salmon is flaky, about 1 hour.
Remove from smoker and put in stomach.

Another simple recipe is the one in the CS booklet, something like 1/2 cup each of TenderQuick and brown sugar in a quart of water, marinate salmon for a few hours.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.