Skip to main content

Just setting around here today smoking a packer on my 020 and got thinking...OH NO...lol!

When I roll my smoker out of the wall-out garage there is some slope to it, maybe 1" or so. I have in the past, a fewww times, during the smoke pick up the back so the bottom drains, AWAYS at the end also.

Well is that juice in the bottom giving my smoker more moisture than what it was designed for?

Like I said just killing time, so what's your thoughts on this subject???

Yep, I know the FEC HAS to be level!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since you're cooking a brisket, no problem. The moisture may help.

Cal. Next time you're smoking, cut the lawn or something. You've got too much time on your hands. LOL. A 1" tilt?

I've got this picture. I'm driving by your house, you're out on your driveway, and you're preparing your smoker for the next cook. Level and T Square in hand. Wind gauge, hygrometer, and thermometer on top of the smoker. Lawn chaise set up, cooler with beer, umbrella for shade, sunglasses, 3 remote therms, 2 thermopens, box of toothpicks, sprayer with apple juice, 2 barbecue books, bermuda shorts, Hawain shirt, and wearing a pair of insulated rubber gloves. Your wife is parked on the street, bringing groceries up cause she can't get into the driveway. You're not helping cause you're too busy. Big Grin Gotta love it.
the "juice" as you call it is pretty much just rendered fat and won't add moisture to the air in the CS. So a little out of level with a bit of 'juice' probably isn't a prob. Still make sure the grease can't get to the heating element 'cause it could flame, tho' I wouldn't perceive that to be an issue.
OK. Time to get serious. After I thought about it, that's quite a tilt if it's pooling at the back of the smoker. Garages and driveways can do that.

Either level like MaxQue suggests(try setting the front wheels on the driveway expansion crack). Or try turning the smoker 180*. That way, if it doesn't drain from the internal drain, it may drain from the drain hole on the front lip of the smoker. Make sure your drip pan also handles the front drain. Guess how I know that one.
Well, it may not be quite that much slope.

Pags, I gotta say that the plastic food service gloves paint a better picture than rubber gloves.lol!

I have had the smoker at the lake a time or two and it's level there.I can't see any or much difference in the results, but hey, I had extra time to kill so what better to think about than a CS and what makes it so good.

I do think I get 1/4" of liquid in the bottom of the smoker and it hasn't caused any problems, so why bother fixing something thats not broke?
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Since you're cooking a brisket, no problem. The moisture may help.

Cal. Next time you're smoking, cut the lawn or something. You've got too much time on your hands. LOL. A 1" tilt?

I've got this picture. I'm driving by your house, you're out on your driveway, and you're preparing your smoker for the next cook. Level and T Square in hand. Wind gauge, hygrometer, and thermometer on top of the smoker. Lawn chaise set up, cooler with beer, umbrella for shade, sunglasses, 3 remote therms, 2 thermopens, box of toothpicks, sprayer with apple juice, 2 barbecue books, bermuda shorts, Hawain shirt, and wearing a pair of insulated rubber gloves. Your wife is parked on the street, bringing groceries up cause she can't get into the driveway. You're not helping cause you're too busy. Big Grin Gotta love it.

Pags I think you have Cal pegged, but you know whats weird, the old saying it takes one to know one, I think that fits>>for all of us. Although I have gone grocery shopping this morning, fixed my 4 wheeler last night, worked on my 442 a little yesterday. I really do believe if I got rid of the 36 inch flatscreen and the lounge chairs in the garage I could spend more time watching the smoker work. Wonder if they make a high temperature glass I could replace the door of my 025 with!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.