Skip to main content

I am expecting my 008 to arrive on Friday afternoon. So today I went to the store an bought 2 boston butts. I made the following injection and rub.
Injection
¾ cup Apple Juice
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup salt
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

Rub
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TBS chili powder

I then put each butt in a foodsaver bag and drew a vacuum to hopefully enhance the flavors of the rub.
Has any one had any experience using the foodsaver while marinating?

Also these will be my 1st butts to smoke ever. I have been reading this forum and have Smokin' kie's guids. I am truly excited. Also Thank you to all that have participated in this site for all of your wisdom!!! This site is the reason I went ahead and bought the smokette.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

southernsmoke -- Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. You're gonna love your Smokette!

I've never injected a butt, no need to with these smokers unless you are looking for various flavors. These smokers cook moist, nothing like a barrel or offset.

Make sure to read Smokin's Guides and Lessons for New Users.

Also, forget the recipes in the book that comes with your unit. So many have been disappointed by them. Come to the forum for advice and some great recipes and cooking instruction! Invest in a digital thermometer. About $15.00 at Target.

Have fun with your new toy! Big Grin
Welcome Southernsmoke

I have not used the foodsaver. I generally just add the rub without any injecting. As Wheelz said, the smoker keeps them pretty juicy. It will take some time to get it up to the desired internal temp (around 195), but it is worth the wait. Also, there is no need to open the door to check on things. That will only slow the process.

Good Luck and good smokin
Injection is good. Your injection and rub recipes look right on. I used to not inject, until I tried it once. Now I always do it, not for moisture (their moist either way), but for a hint, and I say hint of enhanced flavor, as I dont like to over season the butts. The injection just seems to flavor the meat nicely, especially the peices with little seasoning. Good luck!
Smoker arrived @ 11 am and have started the seasoning process. I am now at work until about 7pm tonight. durring my break I will be reading all material that came with the smoker. Again, Thank you to all for the advise and wisdom.

A note on the injection, I have a friend that use to work at Big Bob Gibson's and the injection I used is a slight variation of what they use.
Started the smoke last night at 11pm. Had 2 8 pound butts. Set the cooker at 225* and went to bed...Kinda sad that I didn't have to get up 2 or 3 times to check the fire and temp...Frowner
At about 4:30 this afternoon...(after reading about ABT's in the forum) I put 12 ABT's in the smoker. 2 hours later the Butts and the ABT's were absolutly awsome!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.