Skip to main content

I have been watching the forums in the shadows for a few months trying to convince me that my wife needed an Amerique for our 30+ yr. old daughters birthday on Monday and since it showed up today, here we go. I have used a Weber Bullet for 8 or 9 years & it is still a great smoker, but the looks & ease of this one blew me away. It is now seasoning at 200. I noticed it took about an hour to get up to 200 and since it started at 105 (outside temp), it seemed to be a little long in raising the temp - is that normal and if so, is a pre-heat recommended after the outside temp drops later in the fall to maybe 60 and putting in product of about the same or cooler temps? I really anxious to see how the 1st rack of babies come out this week-end. Thanks for any additional info.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. I never measured time on how long it took to get to temp. The insulation is so good in these puppies that outside temp doesn't seem to affect inside temp. Guess if you left the door open to adjust to the ambient temps it might be much quicker. But, the good news is that the element in the box is rather small, doesn't use much electricty and is just enough to keep the box pretty constant during cooks.
Desertsmoker:
Congrats on your new AmeriQue. I am a recent AmeriQue owner and know you will love to use you new "toy" as much as I do! Just trust the AQ, don't open the door and everything will fall in place. The temps and the probe are right on within a couple of *, it is simple to use and you will have some great Q with little effort. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the replies, and the 2nd seasoning came off as I thought it should. It seems that damp wood doesn't smoke very well & the 1st seasoning dried it enough to work out fine the 2nd time. The helpful folks at CS came up with that theory. This weekends plans have changed from ribs to about 10#'s of butts & a 5# brisket. I put them in the refrigerator last night rubbed & wrapped. Will start smoking tonight for chowing down tomorrow. Will let you know how things go. Also will be cutting up some dry pecan I have had into smaller chunks & try it over the damp Missouri hickory used previously. Yeee-haw.
Well the smoke has cleared & the results were pretty good. I put the butts & brisket on about 10:00 Sat. night & the small brisket came off about 7:00 in the morning, was wrapped & put in a cooler. The butts were on until about 3:30 & were wrapped also put in the cooler with the still warm brisket. Took them to a friends for dinner & all really liked the results. The pork came apart easily at the 190 degrees it was taken out of the CS. Before starting up some pecan was sliced into smaller pieces & weighed on a postage scale & marked with the weight in pencil and a little over 4 oz. was used in 3 pieces. I was surprised at the smoke flavor the small amount of wood made and will cut back next time as it wasn't extremely overpowering, but a little stronger than I prefer. A really good smoke for 1st time use.
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:
Desertsmoker:
Congrats on your new AmeriQue. I am a recent AmeriQue owner and know you will love to use you new "toy" as much as I do! Just trust the AQ, don't open the door and everything will fall in place. The temps and the probe are right on within a couple of *, it is simple to use and you will have some great Q with little effort. Good luck to you.
Been having trouble w/ my new amerique. Probe is not reading correct when plugged in, shows cold meat at 126*. Put probe in a cold glass of ice water still shows 120* plus. Called cookshack, they are sending new probe, they have been very great to work with. If it is not the probe, could be the board, just wait and see. I have 2 additional taylor probes, that are working.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.