Skip to main content

Just got my new Amerique. Could not have been easier to set up. Doing my seasoning smoke today. 2 large pieces of Hickory as the owners manual said.  275* for 4 hours. Smoke was pretty cool and going at a nice clip but stopped after about 45 minutes. Is that OK? I am going to let it do its thing for 4 hours but was not sure why it stopped.....

Last edited by Parrothead72
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks for the follow-up.  I'm no expert, but when Cookshack says 4 oz., I weigh the chunks!  Any serious smoker or barbecuer should have a decent scale.

You shouldn't expect a constant flow of visible smoke, I recommend following the directions and using the amount of wood recommended.  Four ounces will probably produce a very smoky flavor.  

p.s. just brought home my used, nearly new Amerique today!  Doing a brisket early tomorrow morning.  

Last edited by jviss

I've had my AQ for about 7 years now and I love it. I think your original blast of smoke was from the start-up sequence where it runs full blast for about 20 - 30 minutes to get up to temp, and that tends to produce a lot of smoke. Then it calms down into maintenance mode (cycling on/off) and the smoke level drops, which is really what you want. On long smokes, you will barely see any smoke coming out after the startup, and that's ok. jviss is correct, I rarely use more than 3 oz of wood for smoking anything. For fish, 1.5 oz is plenty, maybe 2.5 for racks of ribs, maybe 3 for a butt or brisket. It all depends on what you like. Keep in mind that the meat will not absorb any more smoke after 140 degrees IT or so, so adding more or starting with more will just concentrate the smoke on the surface and lead to bitterness.

Hope you enjoy your Amerique. Best BBQ ever!!

Far be it for me to give any advice. I did use the Cookshack probe, set it to 195* and was shocked how long it took for a 5 lb flat but the meat plateau was crazy....

While I was tempted to open the oven and see if the temps were wrong with my trusty digital thermometer....I did not....I waited.....hit 195*....wrapped it and let it rest for 2 + hours....insanely good and still enjoying it for sandwiches.

Next up, ribs i think....

Noel Volpe | Managing Director
Co-Head, U.S Financial Sponsors Group
Deutsche Bank Securities Inc
(212) 250-4172 | (917) 755-7278

> On May 19, 2020, at 7:02 PM, Cookshack <alerts@crowdstack.com> wrote:
>
> 

jviss - What was your final internal temp? Was 8 hours your total time? If so, I'm thinking it was way undercooked. You really have to wait out the stall, and let the IT get to at least 190 - 200 degrees. A 9 lb brisket should take around 14 - 16 hours or so. In a smoker, brisket will always be "well done." It isn't grilling - you can't get rare, medium rare, or medium. You get tender and juicy with great flavor. No pink, no red, just good.

Last edited by jay1924

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.