Skip to main content

Well here's a little update on my new smoker. To start out I originally ordered a sm045, then when I got it, it was damaged. To make a long story short, I didn't have to pay a 15% restock fee, or pay for return freight, or pay for the initial shipping even though it shipped for free. Well I had to get on them to get it. Anyway I went to another site and got a new Amerique. I felt like the shelves on the sm045 were too close together for large roasts(9 lbs).
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry, I don't know why I ran out of room on the previous post. Has anybody had a problem smoking 4-9 lb. butts in the sm045? I think the grills are too close for tall cuts of pork, but I'm just a newbie. Returned the sm045 and got a Amerique from another site. Called Bill at Cookshack and he measured the distance between racks on the Amerique at 5 inches. A 9 pounder is right at 5". Buyer beware. "Q" Roll Eyes
So BigMike, I need to smoke 4-ten lb. butts for a party. Can I do all four in this thing? What about meat placement for efficient cooking? Smoke one over the other or stagger? More wood than 4-5 ozs.? I haven't gotten it yet. On the way. I returned my sm045. Too small and damaged in shipping.Thanks, "Q"
quote:
Originally posted by Quecrew:
So BigMike, I need to smoke 4-ten lb. butts for a party. Can I do all four in this thing? What about meat placement for efficient cooking? Smoke one over the other or stagger? More wood than 4-5 ozs.? I haven't gotten it yet. On the way. I returned my sm045. Too small and damaged in shipping.Thanks, "Q"

I have had my Ameriqe for 3 yrs. now, and it works great. This unit has adjustable rails for your shelves. Move them up to the highest setting. Then you can put 2 ten lb. butts on both the second, and bottom shelves with no problem. They may touch some, but that is OK. Use 3-4 pcs. of wood that come with the smoker. Set your temp to 225, for 12hrs. Then go to bed. Check at 11hrs. some cook quicker than others. If a skewer passes through the meat easily it is done. If not check again in 30min. I have done hundreds of butts this way, and it has never failed me. I also have an SM160 that basically cooks the same only bigger. Foil the wood box cover, and the bottom of the smoker. Remember to poke a hole in the foil where the drain hole is. Also make sure your catch pan is in place. I don't use the probe to cook with, as it does not give you an accurate reading of what the meat is doing. Just my opinion.
Good Luck
Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Quecrew:
Gary,
What if I use the two middle shelves and staggered as mentioned earlier? I just want enough shelf clearance to smoke the larger cuts(height wise). "Q"

That is what I am saying in the way that I explained in the last post. If you use the middle shelves there is only about 4.5 in. between them. That would work for smaller butts, but not the 10lb. plus size. The rack guides are not the same distance apart. top to bottom. Guide for shelf one is 5.5in from guide 2. Guide 2 is 4.5in. from guide 3. Guide 4 is 6in. below guide 3. It will make more sense when you see the setup. As I said you can do more smaller butts, and sometimes get more return than using fewer larger butts. It will make more sense as time goes by.
Hope this helps
Ask anything if you need more info.
Gary
I have the Amerique and I have smoked 6 PB at once. You could possibly cook 8, but that would put two of them on the bottom rack. IMHO, I think that would be too close to the heat. I would put the biggest 2 in the lowest position(2nd rack up from the bottom), the next two biggest on the top and the 2 smallest in the middle. The Amerique has 4 racks, but I seldom use the one closest to the heat. I would use my ET-732 probes on the biggest and the smallest PB. The biggest issue is to maker sure that you have good circulation around the meat, the internal temp sensor, and the vent at the top. As far as the wood issue, I weigh the wood that I use and try to use 3-4 oz of wood for a load of PB. You CAN OVERSMOKE with the cookshack electrics, not a bad thing but be aware of this. Build up the amount of wood you use to determine the smoke profile that you like. My $.02.......
You can easily put two 9# pork butts on a shelf I have done it many times. I just dont know if you can use all four shelves, but you can use three for sure.

One thing I have found out is when you are doing large loads make sure the meat is not touching or dripping on the temp control probe on the back of the unit. That can really screw you up. I just put a small peice of foil on the shelf above it so the juice drips away from it.

I hope you enjoy your new unit.
Thanks, for the answers fellas. I plan on putting two 9-10 pounders on the two middle shelves. Like BigMike said I may purchase the PMo29 rack system to afford me some options for big cuts of meat. Or like CAL said just use the top part of the grill guide instead of sliding the grill in the guide itself. Great answers as usual. Peace out, "Q"
Just picked a used oo8 in working order for $50.00 It is a 1998 model and needs a little cleaning, but for 50 bucks I could not turn it down.. I already have a Amerique, so I plan on giving this to my grandaughter's husband. He really enjoys smoking and he will get a lot of use out of this
I use it to check multiple locations on smoked items once my Maverick and smoker therm tell me I'm at finished temp (think in terms of 4 or more pork butts, some sausage, some chicken). It also comes in very handy when checking temp on grilled items like steak, sausage, chicken, fish, etc...pretty hot environment so the instant read comes in handy. You could use gloves with a slower therm, but I don't usually bother. Most of the experienced folks all have them.

Seems like a small additional investment compared to the price of your smoker. Wait a few months and ask your wife to give you one for Christmas, however, they're on sale right now.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.