Skip to main content

Smokin' I looked at your Holiday Turkey brine and since I have used your Brine III several times, I more or less combined the two with a few modifications, I will let you know how it turns out, smells GREAT.

1 gal water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup Molasses
1/2 cup Maple syrup
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
4 TBSp coarse black pepper
1 1/2 tsp allspice
4 TBSp chopped garlic
1 TBSp whole cloves
2 TBSp Crushed Red Pepper
AND I had an old hard vanilla bean I broke up and threw in (optional... LOL)
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Appreciate you giving me some cred, but the creativity is all you. More than once I've seen my brine out there without a thanks, so I appreciate it.

Big Grin

I may call that Smokin Okies Sweet Brine IV (thanks to Mike from the forum)

Long title I know.

Yup, lots of sugar in that one. A cup and a half plus add the sweetness of the AJ, that's why I called it sweet.

How was the sweetness of it?

Could you detect any of the different sweet flavors? Honey? Syrup? AJ?

OH, and regarding Turkey 101, don't forget there is a new version. Go for the PDF. The online version is the original and this version downloads a little better. I think they're updating it, but won't be before Thanksgiving.

2010 Turkey 101
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Yup, lots of sugar in that one. A cup and a half plus add the sweetness of the AJ, that's why I called it sweet.

How was the sweetness of it?

Could you detect any of the different sweet flavors? Honey? Syrup? AJ?

AJ?...... = Cider vinegar?

Smokin', yes there SEEMS to be a lot of sugars, but you are adding additional salt with the Soy Sauce. Overall you really do not detect sweetness in the flavor, the combnation of the different tastes of the sugars, soy, and cider vinegar and spices meld together for a very nice product. The test batch of drums were in the brine for ~24 hrs, the remainder were in for about 32 hrs (even better).

I was amazed at how juicy the dumsticks were. when I used my thermopen to check the internal temps of a drumstick other than the one I had my temp probe in, it literally spewed juices when I pulled it out. The flavor of the brine was imparted to the the meat such that no additional seasoning was required if not desired. I really like the brine and I think it will be usefull for red meats as well, particularly lamb or venison. As a matter of fact my neighbor who has been eyeing my Amerique, came over while I was doing the drumsticks and asked me to smoke a couple of venison tenderloins. So I scratched my head and decided I would try the brine on them. I made up a batch for him yesterday and he has them soaking. I guess we'll find out this afternoon! Thanks again Russ!

Mike Allen
Last edited by mike4258
PS:

Here is ANOTHER recipe for an original marinade of mine. It is my go to for leg of lamb or lamb Shishkabobs.

1 part Good Soy Sauce
1 part just OK Balsamic Vinegar
1 part really good EVOO (olive oil)
LOTS of garlic cloves
green pepper corns
black pepper corns
fresh rosemarry
dried basil
dried oregano
dried marjoram

Put everything into a blender and blend until everything is ground up and the liquid is emulsified. By doing this the oil will not separate out from the other liquids. The lamb chunks needs at least two days in the marinade and longer for a whole leg.

I have a hard time keeping my wife out of this when I do my shishkabobs, she will sneak a few pieces out and nuke em so I don't catch her Big Grin.

When ready to cook, skewer the lamb alone and grill. The veggies (compari tomatoes, sweet onion, bell pepper and mushrooms) can use a quick toss in the marinade and can be either pan roasted or grilled on their own skewers. Serve over basmati rice or brown basmati and wild rice. mmmmmm
sorry, not AJ in yours, my mistake when I typied. I meant to say molasses, since you had three sweet ingredients.

If you really can't taste the different flavors, I'd say some money and just go white sugar on some of it. Honey disappears basically in a brine, I think the molasses is good, but there are so many ways to go with this one.

That's why I asked.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike4258:
PS:

Here is ANOTHER recipe for an original marinade of mine.

Just a suggestions (hint, hint) but so people can find the recipe (most don't search) I'd make it it's own recipe/topic. Post it in the recipe section.

Moderator Big Grin
quote:
If you really can't taste the different flavors, I'd say some money and just go white sugar on some of it. Honey disappears basically in a brine, I think the molasses is good, but there are so many ways to go with this one.

You DO get hints of the Molasses, Honey, and Maple in the flavor. Its just that there is not an over emphasis of sweetness. It just balances the salt and soy. As far as the honey, there is something about bee barf...... BTW, it worked VERY VERY well with the Venison tenderloin I mentioned in an earlier post. I will post on that in another thread....
Last edited by mike4258
quote:
Originally posted by Mike4258:
Smokin' I looked at your Holiday Turkey brine and since I have used your Brine III several times, I more or less combined the two with a few modifications, I will let you know how it turns out, smells GREAT.

1 gal water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup Molasses
1/2 cup Maple syrup
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
4 TBSp coarse black pepper
1 1/2 tsp allspice
4 TBSp chopped garlic
1 TBSp whole cloves
2 TBSp Crushed Red Pepper
AND I had an old hard vanilla bean I broke up and threw in (optional... LOL)

Just finished 2 turkeys brined for 36hrd and Q'd for 4 hrs at 280 on the FEC 100.

Moist and good taste. Sweet, used apple cider instead of water, no honey or brown sugar, Plenty sweet. The tighs were like candied dark meat.

Inlaws are have Thanksgiving Tomorrow (Sat). They will enjoy. Also great gravy and dressing (breadcrumbs)

John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.