Skip to main content

Okay, I got the itch after reading this forum for the past few days and went and bought me at CS 009. The box the store gave me was opened and I though no big deal. However, when I got home and unpacked everything it was all damp, manual, boxes, smoker, etc. No big deal until I opened the sample wood box and it was all moldy! Now don't ge me wrong this is not CS's fault it is obviously a problem with the local distributor.

My question is what type of wood is included with the smoker? Also, some of the wood is salvagable I think by scraping mold and chunking it into pieces. Do you think this is safe? Also, all the spices that came with it smell moldy do you think they are okay.

It was kind of wierd all the manuals, etc were damp not wet but just kind of smelled like mold. I know the heat from seasoning will kill the mold and it won't be a problem I was just wondereing if this has happened to anyone else.

Also, I read a thread that I can't seem to find that kind of identified the different pieces of wood by color and weight. Can anyone point me in that direction?

Sorry for any typos didn't spell check just got in from working in yard and had questions I wanted to see if I could get answered. Thanks.

Jeff
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just a follow up I called Bill at customer service this morning, as per his request,gave him all the detailed info and he is sending me a new wood kit. That is great customer service to actually get to speak to a live person and get a quick response.

Also, as a follow up I had some old mesquite from my old wood smoker that I seasoned the grill with. I put about 7oz's in at 200 for 4 hours and monitered the temp every 15 minutes. It ranged from 179 to 223 and everywhere in between. Pretty close to a 200 degree average. I then turned it up to 250 for an hour and got the whoosh explosion and my probe said it got as hot as 283 at one point.

My first Butt went in last night at 11pm set on 190. Was 147 at 730 this morning when I cranked it to 220. Will be checking temp at 1 today and will crank to 230 if necessary. I am guessing to be done between 3 and 6 today and eating between 7-8 tonight.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.