Skip to main content

Trying a new Mac 'n Cheese recipe that a friend, Bigfish BBQ out of Texas, posted on Facebook. Two lbs of cheese to one lb of pasta sounds about right doesn't it? Yeah that's what I thought too. In the smoker right now, can't wait to try it, since many of my previous attempts were very inconsistent.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've been playing around with a few ideas for mac and cheese as well. Always thought a white monterey jack sauce would be the best. Haven't came up with the right sauce yet.

We just made some traditional yellow cheddar mac and cheese last night and it turned out great.

3# Marzetti precooked frozen elbow macaroni
1/2 can or (3# 10oz)UNIPRO ROYAL aged cheddar cheese sauce
12 oz 2% milk
1 TBSP salt
12 oz chopped up smoked ham
a dash of Cajun pepper for a slight pop.

Just fits into a 1/2 size foil pan.

350F for about 90 minutes.

Haven't done the math for sure but I think this would make about 20 - 25 servings.

I tried some with bacon in it and I like the ham better or no meat would be just fine.
Turned out quite good, although next time I'll probably reduce the buffalo sauce by half. I've made some buffalo wings with the Moore's sauce before and they weren't very spicy at all, but in the mac n cheese you can really taste it. Instead of the four cheese blend, I used some fontina & colby that I needed to use up.

Big Fish BBQ Smoked Buffalo Mac n Cheese

Ingredients

1 16-oz pkg elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1 pkg cream cheese
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup bacon bits
8 oz (about 2 cups) shredded mild cheddar cheese
8 oz (about 2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz (about 1 cup) 4 cheese blend, at the grocery store it might be "Mexican Blend"
4 oz (about 1 cup) shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Moore's Marinade Buffalo Wing Suace, this provides a nice subtle bite to compliment the cheese

Instructions

Boil pasta according to instructions on pkg with some salt (6-7 min), then set aside in large mixing bowl

Cheese Sauce
Melt butter in a saucepan, on medium low heat
Whisk in flour slowly
Cook for 2 minutes until it thickens
Whisk in milk slowly
Bring this to a slow boil
When it starts to thicken fold in cream cheese
Keep whisking slowly until cream cheese is melted and sauce is smooth
Add salt, pepper, and Moore's Buffalo Wing Sauce; whisk until texture is smooth and evenly colored

Combine Cheeses
In a large mixing bowl add all cheese, reserve 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese to go on top
Stir cheese, pasta and hot cream sauce together
When all ingredients are blended, place into a small aluminum half pan
Add the remaining cup of sharp cheddar cheese and bacon bits to the top

Cook
Place into smoker at 250 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted
Do Not Over Smoke

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.