Skip to main content

Just wanted to say hello. I have been smoking for years using various charcoal smokers. Even though I had the guru to help keep the temps, I got tired of "babysitting" and not doing other things. After a couple months of research, I finally settled in on the Cookshack smoker based on this forum, the reviews, and their customer service. So, it is ordered and I hope to have it in a week or less. Time to go catch up on all of the helpful hints and tips for first users.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats on the purchase!!! It took me almost a year to buy one, just couldn't believe that a couple little chunks of wood could really produce a product that was smoked like a stick burner...I'm a believer now.

There is a small learning curve, but with all of the experienced CS family members so willing to help a newbie, it doesn't take long and you'll be one of the happy CS owners.

While waiting for your new toy, it might be wise to do a little reading. Smokin' has been so kind to put the important reading at the top of different forums in large red titles. That is where I would start out reading.

Don't be afraid to ask questions or share your experiences once you are up and running, cause we all are still learning new stuff/ideas everyday thanks to those willing to share.

The last thing, make sure you have some FUN with your new toy and enjoy!
quote:
Originally posted by Smoke It:
Welcome to the forum. Which model did you buy?

BTW there's a ton of info here and many experienced people willing to help you.

Mac
I got the SM025. I thought about the different models, but I figured the bigger I went, the more friends would show up. This will be more then enough for what I need. Plus, the wife and I have identical motorcycles that are tricked out some. She told me no more mods to them if I go bigger. LOL
Thanks Cal. Smoking has become a passion of mine. I thoroughly enjoy the end product and trying to create new recipes. I have been reading a lot on here the last 2 or 3 weeks and will continue. This forum has almost too much information as I find my evenings just slipping away.

I have a blog of the last couple years of some of my smoking.

http://dasmoker.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Former Member
Congratulations! I also had a Weber Smokey Mountain and a BBQ Guru. I bought an 025 last year. My quick observations:
1. Almost all restaurant BBQ will seem inferior.
2. You may learn to love the taste of the point rather than the flat in a brisket.
3. You may gain 10 pounds in one summer, as I did this year.
4. These forums are excelent browse them before cooking.
5. I took the Backyard BBQ by Cookshack this spring. Best thing I ever did with BBQ.
6. BBQ is so easy you will want to do it every week.
7. Keep a log of everything. I have a spreadsheet similar to SmokinOkie's. It has become invaluable.
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Sandlin:
Congratulations! I also had a Weber Smokey Mountain and a BBQ Guru. I bought an 025 last year. My quick observations:
1. Almost all restaurant BBQ will seem inferior.
2. You may learn to love the taste of the point rather than the flat in a brisket.
3. You may gain 10 pounds in one summer, as I did this year.
4. These forums are excelent browse them before cooking.
5. I took the Backyard BBQ by Cookshack this spring. Best thing I ever did with BBQ.
6. BBQ is so easy you will want to do it every week.
7. Keep a log of everything. I have a spreadsheet similar to SmokinOkie's. It has become invaluable.
Looks like we are basically walking the same path my friend. I just sold my ProQ Excel 20, which is the same as the WSM for the most part. I loved it and hated it all the same. Summers, had to play with the water levels and winter keep feeding the fuel to keep it at a constant level.

What is the Backyard BBQ by Cookshack? I googled and didn't see anything but a newsletter.

As far as weight, I won't gain much if any. We are always dieting, eating healthy, dieting and then eating smoked goodies. LOL
The Backyard BBQ class was taught in Ponca City by Smokin Okie and Stuart (CEO of Cookshack). They were outstanding!! It took place on a Friday and Saturday. It was hands on using CS cookers (025, Amerique, Fast Eddy. In my opinion, a hands on experience is better than any other way of learning. The following is an excerpt from information they gave last spring:

"You start learning about smoked foods from the moment you arrive. You’ll be dining on a smoked whole hog, smoked salmon, and smoked turkey accompanied by traditional barbecue sides and dessert. Bring your appetite because it is quite a meal! You’ll be getting acquainted with your classmates and Cookshack staff. Class instructor Stuart Powell will be there to make sure that you have a good time.

This class is hands-on, the best way to learn. You will learn to smoke-cook salmon, chicken, brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and turkey. From prep and seasoning to the final product, you will do it all. Savory, succulent, and smoky ... you will be eating these delicious meats, too!"
Let me give credit where it's do. I only help with the Brining portion and then wander around answering questions all day.

Other instructions have been David with Butcher BBQ, Paul from Head Country and Ray Lampe (DR BBQ).

It always fills up early.

This falls class has been full since Summer so email Mandy if you want to get on the list for next year.

Russ
Last edited by Former Member
Thanks for the info. I may actually look into signing up and getting out there. We have family out that way so might make for a good time.

I have always just jumped into something and learned on the fly when it comes to smoking. However, it would be nice to learn from the people who really know and fill in all the gaps.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.