Skip to main content

Received my new Smokette this morning!!!! It has been seasoning for 5 hours now. I put 2 chunks of 2 oz. of hickory on the front of the woodbox and fired it up to 200 degrees. Nothing happened for over 2 hours,so i cranked it to 250 degrees for half an hour and then it started to smoke. I put it back down to 200 and have left it since. How much longer should I let it go for the first seasoning? (it is empty for the first run- I plan on throwing a fatty pork butt in there for the final seasoning)
PS -neighbor called the city thinking there might be a fire in the neighborhood-maybe I should let the neighbors know there is a new smoker in the neighborhood.Any other suggestions for a new Smokette owner?(First pork butt tips)
billy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The Smokin Okie 101's tell you everything you need to know. They'll help you with your briskets, ribs, turkeys, wings, butts etc. Rumor has it they'll even improve your love life.

http://www.cookshack.com/smokin-okies-guides

I'm sure your neighbors will figure this one out on their own as you finish your first pork butt but it might help to give them a visit. Let us know if this qualifies under the love life category. Big Grin
On many smokers, the wood smoulders better towards the front of the wood box. I have a 55 so I don't know if this applies to yours.
Also, the manual should spell out how long to season.
Congrats and have fun with your new toy.
Like Grubmeister says, keep the wood towards the front of the woodbox and right at the edge of the holes. Lift the heating element up (NOT NOW. WHEN IT COOLS DOWN. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE) so that it just touches the wood box.

You should also get better smoke when you have a hunk of meat in the smoker. The cold hunk of meat will act to lower the temperature of the smoker forcing the heat element to stay on longer. When the box is empty, the smoker gets to temp quickly, and the element cycles on and off. It should burn the wood better when something is in the smoker. Cookshack even suggests putting a pan of water in the smoker when seasoning if there is no meat in there.

Either way, you'll be fine as you begin to actually smoke something. Good BBQing to you.
BillyBrisket,
I had one more thought for a newbie. To convince everyone you're a smoking genius consider buying a remote thermometer. Especially for pork butts (PB's), it will give you the confidence you need to remove the meat at the exact moment it's done. No opening the door to check (and risking the wrath of the collective when you submit a post wondering why it's taking so long). Also, it helps to understand what Smokin' means when he says "It's done when it's done".
Heck, I love that saying so much I say it all the time, even at work. I can't say it helps all that much there though. They still cling in futility to their deadlines. Roll Eyes Go figure.
Thanks for the tips, and Grubmeister,I did get a remote thermometer. I am a little concerned about bending the heating element up to touch the woodbox. With my luck,it will break.Anyone have any problems with bending the element?
My first pork butt goes in today(seasoned it last night). Sounds like 2-2oz chunks should be more than enough wood.I will put the wood in as Pags and Grub suggested.
billybrisket
Well, I started my first smoke.I thought I would buy a very small pork butt(2.5lbs) thinking it was the machines first smoke and it would be mostly for seasoning purposes.(In hindsight ,I should have probably bought a 7 pounder)

I have read very thoroughly a great many posts on this site before I bought the CS and many since I have ordered and received my Smokette.I have prepurchased industrial foil for lining, a sweet Weber remote thermometer, some hickory,alder and cherry woods,heavy duty gloves,a Vacupack food sealer, a cover for the Smokette, printed out many great recipes and tips from this site, a 12gauge commercial extension cord, etc. I like to be prepared when I do things.

I put my first pork butt in my new machine 4 hours ago at 225 degrees. The internal temperature reads 158 degrees now. The smell of the hickory cherry blend is heavenly. Everything seems to going as it should. Everything except......*@#X!&XX#You won't believe it, I can't believe it!!! All these meticulous preparations and reading the newbie posts and still.... I forgot to put the darn drip pan under my machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will happen only once I assure you. I must have read 10 posts saying not to forget the drip pan.LOL Oh well, I can't wait to taste the first creation.

sillybillybrisket
Billy--That's histerical. Those things happen to all of us.

I keep my broiler pan under the smoker at all times or directly in the smoker on a grill. If it's not in either of these locations, it's to either replace the heavy duty foil or wash it (not often cause of the foil) and right back to the "reminder" position. If I didn't do this, I would have done as you several times.
quote:
I forgot to put the darn drip pan under my machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will happen only once I assure you. I must have read 10 posts saying not to forget the drip pan.LOL

Don't feel bad. I have been using my Smokette 009 regularly for almost 2 years - never forgot the pan, and that machine doesn't have one built in. Got a new Amerique and cocky as anything. First cook - trying to do too many things at once - forgot the drip pan and foil - what a mess. BTW dish detergent and a scrub brush got it off the driveway pretty well.
quote:
Originally posted by billybrisket:...I forgot to put the darn drip pan under my machine!...This will happen only once I assure you. sillybillybrisket
Yep. I said the same thing. I have a FAT greasy spot under my 020 that says otherwise. Eeker My neighbors cat has lost the tip of it's tongue trying to clean it up...
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Guys. Respectfully. Leave the drip pan in the smoker when not in use. It stares you in the face when you go to smoke something.

Unfortunately, none of the classic Smokettes (mine included) have a built-in drip pan. I have learned to bring my meat to the smoker in a 9X13 pan and slide it underneath after loading it up.
Dan--It's not a built-in drip pan, just a portable one that I leave in the smoker when I'm not smoking. When I go to put wood in the woodbox, I see it then put the drip pan under the smoker. This will work with an aluminum foiled rotisserie pan like I have or a throw away aluminum drip pan. We've got to store them somewhere. Why not the smoker?

Your method makes sense too.
quote:
Everything except......*@#X!&XX#You won't believe it, I can't believe it!!! All these meticulous preparations and reading the newbie posts and still.... I forgot to put the darn drip pan under my machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will happen only once I assure you. I must have read 10 posts saying not to forget the drip pan.LOL Oh well, I can't wait to taste the first creation.

sillybillybrisket

Obviously you were not prepared . . you forgot to purchase a chocolate lab with a insatiable hunger to "resolve" your misgivings . . of course his penalty was to stay outside that night . . lol . .

Thanks,

William

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.