Skip to main content

OK, I found part of my answer using search. That you CAN use wood from trees in your yard for smoking. GREAT, as I have an unlimited supply of Pecan, Mesquite, and Oak (live oak).

My question is, once I trim an Oak, or cut off a chunck of Mesquite, or the Pecan trees "self prune", how long should I let the wood dry, or age until it will be suitable for smoking?

Also, I do not have a CS smoker, but rather a ST, bought very lightly used off of Craigslist,for CHEAP, so please don't hate on me. It is way better built than anything I have seen at a store, IE Bradley, Masterbuilt, and some others. I doubt I'll ever wear it out, but if I do, well, I'll just consider myself lucky for getting to smoke that much meat.

I like this forum, as it is WAY more informative than the ST forum, and if y'all don't mind a "ferigner", I'm sure I'll have lots more questions in the near future.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. This forum is all about smoking, and sharing knowledge to help EVERYONE improve their Q. We have members that smoke on the ST's, though most have a CS.

On the wood, you are very lucky to have a good supply. It will depend on where and how you dry it. IMO, you will want to cut in small pieces. Most use 2x2 with them about 1 1/2" thick. They will dry faster cut into the smaller pieces, but once again it depends on your location as far as how fast they will dry.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.