Skip to main content

good friend just gave me his old (2004) smokette II model 009.

I'm doing a bit of cleaning and trying to decide which to do first, brisket or pork butt?

Great site here and I'm reading like crazy.

Next I'll have to see what can be done with BACON (everything's better w bacon)

Attachments

Images (1)
  • photo-179
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nice, congrats on the gift, it's a nice looking one.

The experts say to do a pork butt first, it is the easiest.

I am brining almost 11 lbs of bacon, just started today. My third batch so far. This time I made 1/2 savory and 1/2 sweet. Bacon is fun. Sooooo good. Will give you the results in about 10 days.

Enjoy your new toy!!!

Vicki
Wow, a tri tip, I have not tried that yet because we are the steak seared on each side medium, medium rare kinda family. How did it turn out. What was the middle color look like, what were your times, temp, etc.

I have no doubt the sweet bacon will be great. Just looking forward to tasting the savory. They are sitting in the fridge drying. Going into the smoker today.
seared on both sides. Yup, my favorite way to do stear tenderloins from costco is sear each side in a cast iron skillet for 2 min, then in a 350 oven for about 7-9 minutes, and done.

the tri tip was about 3 lbs and was supposed to take 2-3 hrs, but at 225 it was at 135 in 90 minutes, so I pulled it and let rest and it was med-rare to med.

I used a small chunk of mesquite and it was kinda strong, but the raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce mellowed it nicely.

Probably going to try a small brisket today, or maybe just pork tenderloins because I need something I can get cooked in six hours or less.
Thanks for the details. May I suggest that if your pork Tenderloins are not already brined, as some of them are saying treated with a ...% solution, that you brine it for a couple hours if you can. There is a lot of info on here about that, they don't take long. I may just try a tri-tip for dinner tonight. THANKS again, Vicki

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.