Skip to main content

I would like to share my mother's recipe for green beans. I know green beans don't sound very exciting but if you prepare them just like the recipe and don't change or leave out anything you will be the talk of your friends and everyone will beg you to share the recipe. Some of the things called for sounds a little strange, I know, but please try to go by the recipe and you won't be sorry. Here it is.

4 slices of pre-sliced salt pork washed and rendered. (Microwave on high 4 minutes)
2 fifty oz. cans or one gallon can cut blue lake cut green beans with the liquid
1 fifteen oz can French cut green beans
2 fifteen oz. cans of small new potatoes with liquid
Salt if needed

Start the day before you plan to serve

Put green beans and rendered fat in a presto or any pressure cooker
Add two (2) cups or less of water
Cook under pressure for one (1) hour (start timing when top starts jiggling)
After one (1) hour remove from heat and let cool until all pressure is released
Remove cover and let beans simmer (barely boiling) until bed time (add water, a little at a time, as necessary)
Turn heat off and replace top. Leave on stove top
Turn beans on as soon as you get up next morning
Let beans simmer until you are ready to serve
1 to 11/2 hours before serving add potatoes with their liquid

You can substitute ¼ cup vegetable oil for the rendered salt pork but the beans won't be as good. You can also half (50 oz.) the cut green beans but if you do leave everything else the same. The beans will turn almost black and will smell great. These are the green beans served in heaven. Let me know what you think. If you are brave enough to try them you won't be sorry.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You seriously use canned green beans and potatoes? Not cutting down the recipe, just cannot imagine this better than fresh green beans out of the garden with fresh-dug new potatoes. That is how my wife makes them and my Momma makes them and how my Grandma made them. They also use any pork they find in the freezer, be it ham, bacon, hocks, etc. They also get a little brown sugar. Why would you need to use a pressure cooker with green beans from a can that are already cooked? Southern green beans are made from scratch, out of the garden.

Cool
I have tried this recipe every different way I could think of. The way I posted it is by far the best. I don't know why. Like I said, try it just the way it is presented and if you still don't like it better than fresh then knock it. I'm betting you will.

P. S. I grow my own vegetables and prepare them fresh right from the garden. I'm not a city boy and I know how to treat vegetables. This recipe is just different.
Oh yea, I forgot to add that there has been a recall on a few brands of canned green beans. I forgot what all kinds, I had a piece of paper from work that said, then made sure we don't have any of the listed brands or codes, and threw the paper away. Sorry, I also forgot why, I think more botulism scare like before with the chili, beef stew, etc.

Cool
My grandmother in Missouri made her green beans in a pressure cooker?? Don't know why, but she cooked the crap out of them...Then placed them in a warm oven until supper (not dinner)......

I use only frozen vegatables if garden fresh isn't available...I never eat anything out of a can other than stewed tomatoes.....

After cooking your beans in a pot with ham hocks, add a little stewed tomatoes near the end....Adds a whole new flavor!!!

very good!!!

dan
What a memory this has discussion has brought back. Mom put on a pressure cooker full of green beans, and left Dad to tend to them while she ran to the store. Dad has never been much of a cook, and when the little weighted thing started rattleing, he didn't think should do this. Some how he got it twisted off while the pot was under pressure. You can't emagine what a mess all of those green beans made when they came out of that little hole under pressure. Painted most of the kitchen in mashed green beans.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
What a memory this has discussion has brought back. Mom put on a pressure cooker full of green beans, and left Dad to tend to them while she ran to the store. Dad has never been much of a cook, and when the little weighted thing started rattleing, he didn't think should do this. Some how he got it twisted off while the pot was under pressure. You can't emagine what a mess all of those green beans made when they came out of that little hole under pressure. Painted most of the kitchen in mashed green beans.

WOW!!! dangerous!! but funny as heck!!! he he he

dan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.