Skip to main content

You folks may remember I bought an older SM008 (now called the SM009-2) model smoker in February. WOW I love smoking meats. Too bad I always have to cut slabs of ribs in half AND do the same to briskets to get them to fit on 14 inch shelves.

Well I've been eyeing a SM025 (18 inch wide shelves) and then the supplier I got my SM008 from has come up with an old SM206, which is pretty much the original version of the SM260. Talked to Bill at Cookshack about it. What a cool guy to talk to. Shelves more than twice as wide and twice as deep, 6 rack spaces. It needs 220 power but I can get that arranged.

It's so overkill but so beautiful and I'm such a sucker for a bargain. LOL. Cheaper than a SM045 by a couple hundred... I KNOW, RUN don't walk to close the deal... Now to figure out how to explain to the wife I need a smoker that's almost as tall as her (the 206 is 62 inches tall)...

I COULD open a restaurant with that bad boy. Oh Lord, SAVE ME from myself. LOL
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had an opportunity to get a 150 at a good price, but "she who is the voice of reason" asked how often I would need more capacity than my 025 offers. The answer I gave her was "probably never" given that we have a small home and can accomodate only a dozen guests at best.

It would be really cool to have a big-time CS smoker, but just because "you can" doesn't mean "you should".

Of course if an FEC100 comes along someday for a grand I'm going for it ;-)
quote:
"probably never"

Good answer. It leaves plenty of wiggle room. In fact, I would say the equivalent answer would have been "possibly sometime". That window of opportunity is all a guy (or gal) really needs.
Besides, you should ask your wife, "what if those dozen guests are REALLY hungry?"
Let us know how the "voice of reason" would deal with empty plates and growling tummies. I for one would feel mortified that I'd abused my guests with such a deceptive lack of hospitality. In fact, we must recognize, there may be kids as guests. Has she given any thought to the children? Hungry children? What has the world come to? I say buying that large smoker may be just the spark to improve your small corner of the world. I'm thinking about my kids and I'm going to sign off now. I feel tears welling up in me. I'm going to put some rub on a pork butt to let them know I love them. ;-)
Well I knew I was asking the right group of guys... It would be like me asking my guitar collector buddies if they thought me getting yet ANOTHER arch top jazz guitar would be the right thing to do. OF COURSE, a bunch of enablers that's what you all are. LOL.

Actually walking to the mailbox (about 80 ft) is when I do some of my biggest decision making. Walking to the mailbox I have changed my mind a dozen times already. I don't need that much capacity - and to smoke my usual amount of food I'll need to use TWICE as much wood in a 206 right ??? Maybe More ?? So, aside from it being like have a HUGE and really awesome guitar amplifier if I'm not playing stadiums or big clubs why would I want it.

WHY ??? Because it's freakin' gorgeous that's why, and yeah next time I get George Benson out to my house (ain't happened yet) with his band I'll be ready to rock. LOL.

Thanks for all your advice.

quote:
Originally posted by Grubmeister:
quote:
"probably never"

Good answer. It leaves plenty of wiggle room. In fact, I would say the equivalent answer would have been "possibly sometime". That window of opportunity is all a guy (or gal) really needs.
Besides, you should ask your wife, "what if those dozen guests are REALLY hungry?"
Let us know how the "voice of reason" would deal with empty plates and growling tummies. I for one would feel mortified that I'd abused my guests with such a deceptive lack of hospitality. In fact, we must recognize, there may be kids as guests. Has she given any thought to the children? Hungry children? What has the world come to? I say buying that large smoker may be just the spark to improve your small corner of the world. I'm thinking about my kids and I'm going to sign off now. I feel tears welling up in me. I'm going to put some rub on a pork butt to let them know I love them. ;-)
Wayne,

If you are near Florida it would be easier. I figured I could make arrangements for them to palletize it and then I pay to ship - still a good deal. And I have a few friends in the Miami area where the unit/seller is.
You're welcome to contact them and see if they will ship it to you. And you're more than welcome to take it - would resolve a big conflict for me. Really go for it if you can reason with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261025...l2649#ht_1131wt_1180

Like I said I am a previous customer with them and found them quite pleasant to work with. But my SM008 was only like 85 pounds. I think this SM206 is something along the lines of close to 385 pounds...

Best

Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Grubmeister:
quote:
"probably never"

Mrs. SmokinMAINEiac laughed til she cried when I read your post to her...but her position is unchanged.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.