Skip to main content

Well, casters are on... controls are hooked up.... foil on and pan of water on the rack. Plugged her in, turned her on and we're up to 88 degrees with 4 hours to go!

45 minutes gone by.. 278 degrees. It appears to be leaking an awful lot of smoke around the top of the door - hope it seals up a little better as the day goes on.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure what unit you have. I started out with a "used" SM008, it had sat in a restaurant for years but had never been used. I think I did some jerky first and then some ribs. Smoke leaked like crazy via the door. But after I did a couple more runs, particularly a pork butt, the smoke only came out the vent on top, as it's designed to do. You get a patina going on the inside of that baby and you know you're rocking.

Enjoy !!
quote:
Originally posted by BigMikeinNJ:
Not sure what unit you have. I started out with a "used" SM008, it had sat in a restaurant for years but had never been used. I think I did some jerky first and then some ribs. Smoke leaked like crazy via the door. But after I did a couple more runs, particularly a pork butt, the smoke only came out the vent on top, as it's designed to do. You get a patina going on the inside of that baby and you know you're rocking.

Enjoy !!

It's a SMO25. I'm sure the smoke will slow down some as it is used, in fact it gradually slowed ... still lacks about 45 minutes on the break-in and the smoke has basically stopped. After fighting a Traeger for years I'm sure things are about to get better soon.
CS decided that instead of pricing the smoker too high because of the extra labor to make a "perfect" fitting door, they gone with the tight fit and it will seal eventually after you cook with it long enough.

After all, it's a smoker and a little smoke leaking gives a great aroma and won't impact how it cooks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.