Skip to main content

What are the advantages/disadvantages of cooking a packer cut brisket at 250* as opposed to 225*? I'm using a Smokette 008. Can anybody who's done them both ways share some insight? Better fat rendering at 225*, less moisture loss at 250*? I'm thawing a select grade 14 pounder that's going into the smoker tonight and have always used 225* Thank in advance for everyone's thoughts on this-
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I cook packers at 225*, only going to 250* if they just seem to be taking forever, and then I'm not sure it makes a difference anyway. The fat is always nicely rendered and I've never had a problem with moistness. Before I bought a CS, I'd never tasted a brisket that was fit to eat. Now I cook them all the time.

One thing I do though is turn it fat side down and move it to the botton shelf about three quarters of the way through the cook. That gives the fat cap that I didn't trim, and I don't trim much usually, a chance to melt off or crisp up. If you do this without turning the brisket over, the meat will get crispy and tough, and we don't want to go there.
225 is not a "holy grail" for smoking (although some will disagree).

250 will work fine.

The only issue with a higher temp is that the meat will get to an internal temp quicker and potentially reducing the amount of smoke penetration.

Some will start it at a lower temp (I cooked briskets at 180 for a long temp back in the 80's) and then bump the temp up to finish.
In my experience with the Smokette.

It probably does not maintain an average of 250* when turned up full blast. Have you confirmed it does with a tested probe ?

It can take 24 hours to get a large packer brisket done if the Smokette is not turned up full blast.

There is no disadvantage to cooking it at 250*. The advantage is it might not take all day. (24 hours)

Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.