Skip to main content

I've had my smoker for a while and I do really like it. Am starting to use it even more and for different things such as jerky and now sausages.   I seem to be having an issue with some of the food getting over done and some not done enough.  For example I did some snack sticks the other day, kept it as one big long rope. The outside got done but the middle was still undercooked.  Also when doing jerky, is there a way to even out temps for that too, so you don't have to open it up and rotate the trays.  Same issue with that, seems like quite a difference from top to bottom, as well as side to side.  

Would some type of heat shield next to the fire chamber/grilling area help?

Original Post

@macminn - this has been a struggle of mine with my PG500.  i have just learned to deal with it but yes, rotating things around helps a bit.  i am just too lazy to babysit it.

there are some posts somewhere here in the forum where folks have studied this extensively and charted the temp differences.  actually, maybe I was thinking of this: https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=307.0

i haven't experimented with a heat shield or anything like that.  I have been trying to do some insulation to try to keep things more consistent.

would be interested to hear if you have success with any experimentation...  the other thing I have wanted to play around with is a water tray.  prior to living in the pellet grill world, i was a vertical gas smoker guy and a charcoal barrel smoker guy.  both of which had water trays.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.