Skip to main content

Well it finally happened. I'm cooking some burgers and 45 minutes after putting the burgers in I walk by the PG500 and see 89 degrees on the temp. Oh oh. My first flame out. But what caused it? My LHT too low? Ignitor died? Well it was the later. I emptied the two pounds of pellets in the shoot and the fire pit. Took my torch and lit some pellets in the fire pot with the machine on. Dinner was saved thanks to the forum research. Now calling cookshack tomorrow to see how difficult the fix is. But knowing I can self start is just fine. I have owned my pg500 for 3.5 years. This was my first issue. I'm celebrating.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure if the "hot rods" on the PG500 are the same as on the FEC's. But they have been known to go out. I think they're about $35 to replace and have also heard of numerous FEC owners just using a torch to fire it up.

But what caused the flame out? Igniter should have turned off way before 45 minutes, so I doubt that's it.
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
Not sure if the "hot rods" on the PG500 are the same as on the FEC's. But they have been known to go out. I think they're about $35 to replace and have also heard of numerous FEC owners just using a torch to fire it up.

But what caused the flame out? Igniter should have turned off way before 45 minutes, so I doubt that's it.

Ignitor stays on until 139* is reached on the PG grills.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
Well it finally happened. I'm cooking some burgers and 45 minutes after putting the burgers in I walk by the PG500 and see 89 degrees on the temp. Oh oh. My first flame out. But what caused it? My LHT too low? Ignitor died? Well it was the later. I emptied the two pounds of pellets in the shoot and the fire pit. Took my torch and lit some pellets in the fire pot with the machine on. Dinner was saved thanks to the forum research. Now calling cookshack tomorrow to see how difficult the fix is. But knowing I can self start is just fine. I have owned my pg500 for 3.5 years. This was my first issue. I'm celebrating.

You take off the side panel, undo the ziptie that has the ignitor wire in it, unplug the wire. Then take the fire pot out, pull the wire through the air duck. Replace the ignitor and run the wire back through the air duck(hardest part), make sure it comes out the proper hole and not the fan. Fasten the fire pot back in, clip the wire connection in and zip tie the wires back together, reinstall the side panel.....anyway, that's how I did my replacement. Smiler
Thanks guys. AndyJ and Cal I don't think it ever lit. I placed the burgers on when I turned the unit on and never looked to see if it started up. Complacency after 3.5 years of issue free start ups I guess.

In fact now that I think about it, There weren't any burned pellets in the fire pit when I cleaned it out. Which I ended up doing twice before using the torch. I restarted it thinking it was a flameout and it didn't start again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.