Skip to main content

I was curious how a normal oven recipe would do in the smoker. I found a new Kraft product in the cheese section that combines cheese and breadcrumbs in sort of a Shake and Bake product. I followed the directions and placed the breasts in my preheated 375 degree smoker oven on the indirect side zone 4. 25 minutes later I pulled them out, let them rest for 5 min. They tasted just as good as the regular oven ones I did earlier in the week. My pellets were maple wood. There was only a slight sweet wood flavor. The breast were moist and lightly browned on top from the melted cheese and bread crumbs.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried typical oven recipes with success and what were they?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I do it all the time. I find recipes online, and use the smoker instead of the oven. Turns out great. Naturally, some recipes aren't conducive to smoking. But I haven't tried an oven recipe that hasn't turned out great from the smoker.

Here are a few:

Meatloaf

Lamb

Smoked Mock Gyros Roast

Many of my recipes were intended for the oven...poultry, prime rib, seafood, roasts, almonds, baked beans, chicken wings, pork loin and tenderloin...the list is as endless as your imagination.

The meatloaf and Gyros recipes are spectacular. Try them.
Last edited by pags
I have done the meatloaf, love it. I think I need to do one in the PG500.

I was thinking more along the lines of items that are for the oven that you wouldnt necessarily do in a smoker. As you know the SM025 only goes up to 325 degrees. So doing a recipe that calls for 375 or 425 haven't been possible.

Some of the items I was thinking about.

Potatoes au Gratin
Scalloped Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Mac N Cheese

I guess more side items is what I am looking at.

I also read that desserts are a possibility. Gonna try something like a peach cobler soon.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan:
If I follow the recipe and temp in the PG500, it really shouldn't take longer should it?

GOOD question....and I look forward to your results.

In theory, The electric smokers should work more like a conventional oven, because of the lack of air movement.

If that holds true, then the PG500 should cook more like a convection oven, because of the fan making air flow?

Convection ovens cook faster than conventional ovens if I'm thinking right.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.