Skip to main content

I've looked at the Cookshack website and through many posts here, but I just want to be sure. There is a pretty big $$ difference between the 500 and the 1000. The double wall / insulation is a wonderful thing for New England winters, but are there any other advantages for the 1000? Reduced pellet consumption is great. The 1000 looks like it might have better grill access? Cooking area and function is the same? The smokestack looks different and the 1000 looks like it will take up more room. Is there a PG1000 owner out there who can sell me on one?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm a PG500 owner. I'd hope that instead of selling you on one unit or the other, that maybe we could help you with info that would make you a more informed purchaser?

Yes, you hit the nail on the head about the insulation for cold weather cooking. I can tell you that the access to the top shelf would be much better if the top opened in the 500 like the 1000, but then again, I don't loose as much heat grilling on the direct side as those that use the 1000.

While I'm a fast learner, I have burnt my arm twice on the PG500, because of the hot exterior...never have had that happen on the FEC, oh well.

At least with CS's 30 day money back guarantee, you have a little room for error.

Oh, if the small difference in pellet consumption is a big factor, I'd recommend you not buy a pellet grill.

Good luck on your choice!
It comes down to which features you prefer and your budget. I have the 1000 and have yet to find anything I can't cook on it, including cheese cakes, pies, deep frying. I've not used a 500 but I would guess it will do the same.
The insulation is a benefit in the summer as well as winter.
The 500 has a pellet dump if you are inclined to change pellet flavors often, the 1000 does not.
As Cal said, CS is a great company to work with you and wants you happy so whichever you choose you can't loose.
If you've got the $$$ I'd go with the 1000. Especially in New England. It's made of a higher quality stainless steel, insulated, does have better access to the racks but this is minimally different between the two, and better pellet consuption. I've cooked from below freezing to 110+ weather on this pit and it's done great.

Cal makes an important point... I have young kids who like to hang around the grill... Though there are "hot spots" at times on the PG1000 (while grilling at high temps etc) I don't worry about my kids (or me) getting burned around the grill.

Pellet dump isn't a big deal to me... it's easy to scoop out the PG1000 hopper (its lower and wider). PG1000 still has the warming drawer/cold smoking area. You don't need a "probe port" on the PG1000 because it has the hood instead of doors.

The PG1000 does have a slightly bigger "footprint" but you also have more "workspace" as the hopper lid and shelf are usable spaces.

All that being said... I've cooked on both... I own a PG1000. They are both great pits and you'll be happy with either.

Let us know what you decide... and your experience once the pit arrives!
quote:
Originally posted by cal:

Oh, if the small difference in pellet consumption is a big factor, I'd recommend you not buy a pellet grill.

Good luck on your choice!

I think the insulation on the 1000 makes a big difference.
According to the fuel consumption tests over at pelletheads,
The uninsulated pg500 consumes nearly twice as much at higher grilling temps
As the pg1000

Since I'm using a sm066 for the majority of the low and slow, my pg500
Spends nearly all it's time at 350+. Pellet consumption soars when we make pizza
Since we preheat the stone to 600f for an hour (this is probably the only time I regret
Not springing for a 1000 since the level in the hopper has visibly dropped by the time the
Last pizza is cooked!)
I will be purchasing either the PG500 or 1000 for our new home in Gilbert AZ. Cold weather is NOT an issue. Stainless steel MIGHT be an issue. I was looking at the metallergical sites and they alluded to the fact that the stainless 304 (which is what the PG1000 is made of) will last MUCH longer when exposed to BBQ temps compared to stainless 430 (which is what the PG500 is made of). I mention this only because these grills are exposed to much higher temp in the burning chamber than most pellet grills.

While I won't have salt water corrosion problems, a burning chamber that oxidizes/'rusts' through in a few seasons is a concern. Has any one seen any signs of this happening?

Personally, at 6'2", the higher work height of the PG500 is attractive, but I'm on a fixed income and this will probably be the last BBQ I can talk my wife into buying.

All guidance is appreciated.
quote:
Originally posted by NaughtyNurse:
It comes down to which features you prefer and your budget. I have the 1000 and have yet to find anything I can't cook on it, including cheese cakes, pies, deep frying. I've not used a 500 but I would guess it will do the same.
The insulation is a benefit in the summer as well as winter.
The 500 has a pellet dump if you are inclined to change pellet flavors often, the 1000 does not.
As Cal said, CS is a great company to work with you and wants you happy so whichever you choose you can't loose.

Nurse...you deep fry on the PG1000? How do you do that? I'm curious.
quote:
Originally posted by Chacahoula Tiger:
quote:
I have the 1000 and have yet to find anything I can't cook on it, including cheese cakes, pies, deep frying. As Cal said, CS is a great company to work with you and wants you happy so whichever you choose you can't loose.

It's easy, cast iron pot of oil. Surprisingly, the grill temp only needs to be set about 25° higher than your desired oil temp. It does take a while to get the oil hot and it probably takes a little longer to recover between batches than if you were using a propane burner. I have a video on Youtube that I think I've posted on here before
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chacahoula Tiger:
quote:
I have the 1000 and have yet to find anything I can't cook on it, including cheese cakes, pies, deep frying. As Cal said, CS is a great company to work with you and wants you happy so whichever you choose you can't loose.

It's easy, cast iron pot of oil. Surprisingly, the grill temp only needs to be set about 25° higher than your desired oil temp. It does take a while to get the oil hot and it probably takes a little longer to recover between batches than if you were using a propane burner. I have a video on Youtube that I think I've posted on here before

I'll have to look on Youtube to check that out. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.